In need of rehoming my 2 cats..

yesenia83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't posted here much but didn't know where else to get advise.
My 2 cats are Bopper and Buttons, Bopper is 5 1/2 and buttons is 17 months, Both spayed. I've always been allergic to cats and have tried for nearly six years to just deal with meds, sticky rolls of all sizes, showering a few times a day, shaving the cats and bathing them often. Nothing helps. My husband however doesn't want them to go but he works, I stay at home and also have to keep up after 3 dogs that luckily don't shed. Rehoming has been a conversation that always ends up into a huge fight but I cant anymore, I'm on meds for other health problems and the dealing with the constant allergy is and has been taking its toll on me. I feel guilty because Bopper is our first pet, shes the oldest and my husband says no body wants a cat thats 5. He believes Buttons would be taken first because shes younger and smaller.

killer kitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since you're in New York City, I would contact North Shore Animal League America in Port Washington, Long Island. You'll probably have a bit of a wait to get them in, but you've waited over 5 years already. NSALA is a true no-kill shelter.
The other place I'd recommend in your area is the Bide-A-Wee home. They have shelters in Manhattan, Wantagh (Long Island) and Westhampton (also Long Island). They are also no-kill, and might have a shorter wait than NSALA.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you 100% sure it's a cat allergy (and not a dog allergy or something else)? Are they indoor/outdoor or indoor-only? Sometimes people think they are allergic to cats and it turns out to be something else (like pollen from outside that the cat is bringing in).

There are more things you can try that you didn't list. I'm not realy sure what a sticky roll is going to do for allergies except make your clothes fur-free. Have you ever tried the furminator?

http://www.furminator.com/

It's beyond amazing. It will get rid of the undercoat that could be making allergies worse. Do you have a cat-free zone in your house (like the bedroom)? I *think* that most cat allergies comes from the saliva, not the actual hair, but I could be mistaken. (brushing still helps b/c that is less grooming that the cat has to do on their own)

I know how hard it is.

Do you have any friends who might take them? Some humane socities and rescue groups will do a courtesy listing on petfinder for you. This way more people see the pet but they don't have to go into a cage and take up space.

You could try craigslist, but just be really careful about screening any potential homes.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat allergies are THE most common allergy. I understand what you're going through and kudos to you for trying and now dealing with it the best you can. I think it's unfair for your husband to expect you to stay home and be physically Ill and miserable with allergies.

I just want to correct some common mis-information. Cat allergies do not come specifically from the fur itself. Click link below and scroll down to "Cat Allergies".

http://Cat AllergiesCat Allergies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yesenia83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm gonna give than furminator a try. I have something similar to it called Shed Ender. Would an air purifier help or work?. I placed an ad in petfinder but deleted it after 2 hours, I just cant bring myself to rehome them. I do love them dearly and feel like no one will take care of them like I do. I'm sure there has to be a miracle drug or something to help me out.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a product in the pet stores called Allergy Relief. You put it on a damp rag and rub into the cats skin. It does help. Also I talked to my pharmacist (because I have allergies and bad asthma) and he said you have to switch anithistamines every 3 to 6 months because your system gets used to them and they become ineffective. You can cycle back through them though. The ones he suggested were:

Claritin
Zyrtec
Allegra

The furminator will help get extra fur out and I love mine. But just be aware that your allergies are not due to the fur. It will help some because the dander can stick to the hair but dander comes from the glands in the skin and mostly from saliva. And it flys and sticks everywhere including clothes, carpet, curtains, pillows and just about everywhere.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yesenia83

I'm gonna give than furminator a try. I have something similar to it called Shed Ender. Would an air purifier help or work?. I placed an ad in petfinder but deleted it after 2 hours, I just cant bring myself to rehome them. I do love them dearly and feel like no one will take care of them like I do. I'm sure there has to be a miracle drug or something to help me out.
I think an air purifier would be definitely worth trying!