TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Inappropriate Defication
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inappropriate Defication

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Please help me! After years my female cat has suddenly started deficating on one place on the carpet. Sometimes peeing but mostly not. Have looked on the internet and cant find anything that seems to fit. I scream at her and she will stop for about a month and I think it's over. But then she does it again! It's so frustrating!!
post #2 of 14
Has she been checked for UTI or other internal problems? Maybe you should make an appointment and have her given a complete physical.
post #3 of 14
I suggest taking her to the vet & having them test a sample of her urine for a UTI. While she may appear outwardly healthy, she may still have something going on internally you cannot detect.
post #4 of 14
Please take her to a vet and please do NOT scream at her for doing this.

It is usually a sign that the cat has an infection that needs to be treated.
post #5 of 14
When something starts to happen out the blue then it's a good idea to get her checked over, but please, don't scream at her because it's something she can't help herself, and screaming at her will only make her scared and nervous
post #6 of 14
Clean bill of health is the first priority! Also how clean do you keep her litter? The type of litter as well as litter box, where it is located..........
post #7 of 14
Several thoughts- if she is 6 years old and up she is entering her senior years. You should then take her in to get routine bloodwork done and ask for them to check her for a UTI.
If she checks out healthy and again she is an older cat, it could be dementia is setting in.
Your litter pan may not be as clean as SHE needs it to be
You should give her two pans not one
Switch to plain clay litter scented drives them away
Screaming will only exacerbate the problem. It isn't her fault. She is not doing it intentionally.
Not cleaning the area with the proper products won't get rid of the smell, cats are smell driven. If it smells like a bathroom, it must be a bathroom.
post #8 of 14
Having her checked for a UTI would explain her peeing outside the box, but I'm not sure why she is mostly defecating outside the box. I guess the only question I'd ask is what someone else already mentioned - is her box being kept clean enough for her. Also, sometimes cat don't like to pee and poo in the same box so perhaps setting her up with 2 boxes would be a good idea.

You will also need to clean the carpet with a good enzyme cleaner to get ALL the smell out or she may continue going back to that spot. It may help to clean the area and put one of the litter boxes over the spot for a time, gradually moving the box to where you prefer it to be.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
** "Has she been checked for UTI or other internal problems?" **

I don't think that is it. It's mostly defication, not peeing.

I know that's a standard thing to take her to the vet. But I have a feeling it is something else. I'm not sure what. She hates to go to the vet. Cannot imagine having to take her. When she last got her shots we had to have the vet make a house call!!! I hate to even think that we have to take her.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Also how clean do you keep her litter?
She did start after I let the litter box get too dirty. I know it's my fault. But now she won't stop. I'm using non-scented litter.

But how do I get it to stop???
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer100 View Post
She did start after I let the litter box get too dirty. I know it's my fault. But now she won't stop. I'm using non-scented litter.

But how do I get it to stop???
First, clean the area where she has been defecating really well with an enzyme cleaner (should be able to get one at your pet store). Set up at least 2 litter boxes for her - one over the area she has been using to defecate and another where you would normally keep her litter box.

And, most importantly, scoop those boxes at least ONCE PER DAY. I have made it a habit to scoop every night just before bedtime so it has become a bedtime ritual for me. There certainly are nights I feel too tired to do it, but it really only takes a few seconds - not even a minute - to scoop, twist, tie and toss. It's a win-win situation, I have no odour in the house and the kitties have a clean bathroom and are happy.

I hope this will fix your problem.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I admire your integrity by being willing to admit you didn't keep her litter as clean as you should have. A lot of folks would not have been so truthful. I really, truly hope you can get her back on track and thank you for taking the responsibility and not just giving up on her for something that wasn't her fault. You rock!
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer100 View Post
** "Has she been checked for UTI or other internal problems?" **

I don't think that is it. It's mostly defication, not peeing.

I know that's a standard thing to take her to the vet. But I have a feeling it is something else. I'm not sure what. She hates to go to the vet. Cannot imagine having to take her. When she last got her shots we had to have the vet make a house call!!! I hate to even think that we have to take her.
Inappropriate elimination --- regardless of whether it is urination or defecation --- is always a manifestation of either a physical issue or a behavioral one. And since the recommended treatments are quite different, it is very important to ascertain which one is the culprit.

You may not think it's physical, but really, only a qualified person --- a vet --- can confirm this. That is why other posters have recommended having her checked over. I can appreciate the fact that she hates going to the vet. Cats aren't known for breaking out the party hats and funky dance moves as they willingly saunter over to the carrier when the owner says "It's vet time, Kitty!" But you are the caregiver and sometimes the caregiver has to do something unpleasant in order to make things better in the end. Left unchecked, things likely stand to only get worse over time.

I did not see this mentioned anywhere else in this thread, but I have heard good things about Cat Attract, both the litter and the additive. That might be worth trying, in addition to following what Yosemite said.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
thank you for taking the responsibility and not just giving up on her for something that wasn't her fault. You rock!
My cat and I are good friends. She's not perfect, but neither am I!!

I'm only frustrated because our carpet is only two years old and do not want it ruined.

Thank you all very much for all of this wonderful advice!!
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
Several thoughts- if she is 6 years old and up she is entering her senior years. You should then take her in to get routine bloodwork done and ask for them to check her for a UTI.
If she checks out healthy and again she is an older cat, it could be dementia is setting in.
Your litter pan may not be as clean as SHE needs it to be
You should give her two pans not one
Switch to plain clay litter scented drives them away
Screaming will only exacerbate the problem. It isn't her fault. She is not doing it intentionally.
Not cleaning the area with the proper products won't get rid of the smell, cats are smell driven. If it smells like a bathroom, it must be a bathroom.
I would totally listen to hissy, she knows her stuff! First thing to do is a vet check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
First, clean the area where she has been defecating really well with an enzyme cleaner (should be able to get one at your pet store). Set up at least 2 litter boxes for her - one over the area she has been using to defecate and another where you would normally keep her litter box......And, most importantly, scoop those boxes at least ONCE PER DAY.
Totally agree....2 litter boxes....and make sure to thoroughly scrub the areas of the carpet with an enzyme cleaner. Cats are very sensitive to smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post

I did not see this mentioned anywhere else in this thread, but I have heard good things about Cat Attract, both the litter and the additive.
When we brought our two new cats home, one of them starting peeing outside the box, at random times. I bought Cat Attract and it totally worked for our situation! It was really funny, since we opened up the bag of litter and poured it into the box and both cats jumped in to do their business at the same time! Our cats were really attracted to the litter and no problems since.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Inappropriate Defication