I'm going wedding dress shopping!!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on the 4th of April! I know it's a long way off just yet, but I'm SO excited!
My mum is coming and I might have my two mothers-in-law coming too! I have an appointment in House of Brides in the centre of town, RÃ¥dhuspladsen - where we will get the full works, personal service and champagne!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so exciting!
April will be here before you know it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I decided to start dress shopping about 18 months before the big day - I've got VERY specific ideas, and if I can't get something like my dream gown, I will buy a totally unadored gown and decorate it myself. So that'll take time... gotta plan for that!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh am so jealous. Our wedding had to be on a shoe string budget ($2000 for wedding and reception combined). What a neat thing that would have been. My dress was still wonderful and one of a kind cause my grandmother made it (with out a pattern).
I am happy for you though...jealous...but happy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have fun!
i had a good time picking mine out
i wound up getting the first one i tried on!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

Oh am so jealous. Our wedding had to be on a shoe string budget ($2000 for wedding and reception combined). What a neat thing that would have been. My dress was still wonderful and one of a kind cause my grandmother made it (with out a pattern).
I am happy for you though...jealous...but happy.
Up until now I was really jealous of women who got married
I was ditched ten days before a wedding day before now, so it's nice to know it's actually happening. I handmade my first gown (I was 8 months pregnant at the time) and I finished up cutting it all up into tiny squares. That day was also all paid for on a shoestring, so I know how you feel
I'd have hoped that my grandmother could either sew, or could SEE to sew, but she can't - I'll be grateful if she's still with us for the wedding day. Your dress must have been REALLY special!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you bought your gown on ebay?

Have fun dress shopping, im glad i have mine out of the way!

now I AM going TO a wedding and cant find a silly dress anywhere

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting! I had so much fun picking out my wedding dress! I bought the second one I tried on. I knew the instant I tried it on that I wanted it...it was what I imagened but didn't think I could afford it, but it turned out it was on sale and within my price range!

Have fun!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo! Have fun!

we've postponed ours, however I'll be back out trying on dresses the same day he gets a job.

I've pretty much found mine, but that doesn't mean I can't stop trying on

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck and have fun! What kind of style are you planning to go for?

I'm having to sell my dress for a bit of cash. Hopefully you won't have to after your wedding but heck, at least it'll go to someone who needs a dress for cheap.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news.

April will come before you know it. Congrats to you!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did that...with the personal service and champage and everything...it was FANTASTIC! I found mine on my firt appointment and it was actually one I never thought I'd like...so make sure you try on some of those, too!

Of course, my dress cost more than the above shoestring wedding
It's all because I don't have an amazing sewing grandma!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just completely over the moon - it all feels real now
I'm trying to avoid the common as muck, A-line, strapless gown. They're just SO common.... I don't want to wear a gown that everyone else wears. I want something that suits me and what I would like out of it. I found one I fell in love with some years ago.... a ballgown sillhouette (big full skirt and fitted bodice, all one piece) with pretty off the shoulder sleeves. It was decorated so simply with red roses.... I LOVED it! If I can't find something similar... then I'll find something I can sew my own roses onto. That's our theme anyway, so I'm going to do something along those lines!

I'm one of those woman who adores the idea of having the big dress for the day. We're only going to do it once, right?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Good luck and have fun! What kind of style are you planning to go for?

I'm having to sell my dress for a bit of cash. Hopefully you won't have to after your wedding but heck, at least it'll go to someone who needs a dress for cheap.
When I left my exDH I sold my very expensive dress to a friend who was getting married for........ $50

It wasn't for the money, more for principal

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Emma will Alex be going to your wedding?. He must be getting big now?
Oh Alex will be going - he's delighted because we've asked him to do a "really special job". He's going to be our ringbearer. I've decided to find a very nice ring box for him to keep the rings in and then he can get the box to keep with a little special something just for him inside it
He'll be nearly 9 when we get married. He's going to have his own special invitation and a nice littled suit so he's quite taken with the idea of being so involved. PLus he'll get to see his Aunty Vicky (my best friend) for the first time in a long time - he's also going to see his two younger cousins and the two new "grandmas" too
He's thrilled that mummy's going to marry daddy "Honger"!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Up until now I was really jealous of women who got married
I was ditched ten days before a wedding day before now, so it's nice to know it's actually happening. I handmade my first gown (I was 8 months pregnant at the time) and I finished up cutting it all up into tiny squares. That day was also all paid for on a shoestring, so I know how you feel
I'd have hoped that my grandmother could either sew, or could SEE to sew, but she can't - I'll be grateful if she's still with us for the wedding day. Your dress must have been REALLY special!
Oh my goodness! Ok, I have nothing to complain about. Sorry.
Well , I am glad you are finally getting the wedding you have been dreaming of. And yes, my wedding dress is extremely special to me.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

When I left my exDH I sold my very expensive dress to a friend who was getting married for........ $50

It wasn't for the money, more for principal
Hahahahaha, my dress cost around $2,200 after alterations
Even though the crinoline ripped a little after the dress was repeatedly stepped on, I was considering selling it at a low cost or donating it to someone who might not be able to afford a fancy dress...if it worked out for you, that makes me want to do it even more....

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Hahahahaha, my dress cost around $2,200 after alterations
Even though the crinoline ripped a little after the dress was repeatedly stepped on, I was considering selling it at a low cost or donating it to someone who might not be able to afford a fancy dress...if it worked out for you, that makes me want to do it even more....
I think I would only sell my gown if I had to - I would love to hang onto it if I ever have a daughter. I would also hang onto it in case we decide to reaffirm our vows in the future. It would be nice to see it surface again for something like that... I'm a hopeless romantic.

And of course if daughter got married I would like to offer it to her as her "something old" - of course if she decides that it's not something that she really wants or likes.... then I'd probably sell it. No point in it sitting in a box in the attic forever, right?

I don't know.... time will tell. But I admire you ladies for selling or donating your gowns. I'm not sure I'd have the heart to lose something that special - even if I did know it would be well loved and wanted.