I need a haircut, what should I do?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel like since my sister's surgery is over and she is fine, and we are moving, and this is my last week of having daycare kids I need a change (and a confidence booster). I decided that when my husband gets off of work tonight I am letting him put our kids to bed and getting a haircut. I have been just pulling it back every morning. My hair grows really fast so I am not afraid to play a little, but I do not want to go much shorter than my shoulders.
Here is a front view:

here is the back, I am looking down so I can take the picture myself so it does not accuratly show the length, it falls just below my shoulder blades.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cute little layered bob with feathering around your face would be nice chic and easy to keep. Somthing nice light and young to head into the spring and summer with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am getting excited now. If you knew me in real life I am very reserved and shy and quiet and everynow and then I like to do something drastically different.
I have not had bangs in years, I think I am going to do brow skimming bangs (like these:http://beauty.about.com/od/hairstyle...rgallery_7.htm)
I am excited. Whatever I do I will post an after picture for you. Keep the ideas coming!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to switch things up too occasionally so I'm getting a helix cut this week. (they can actually cut curl into your hair)

I love the bangs! Last time I got a style cut I had longer sweepy bangs because I wasn't brave enough to get those kind of bangs... but I do love them. Can't wait to see the new do.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got bangs when I got my hair cut in Jan-just remember they do need to be trimmed between your haircut.
I would keep your hair long enough that would could still put it in a ponytail-esp if you are used to doing that.
I think some highlights would be nice too.
Just remember any cut with more layers may mean more styling time than you are used to so decide how much time you want to spend messing with your hair every day (or overy other day).

Good thing about hair-it always grows back!!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the bangs are a good idea. I just got some like that cut on me and I love them. I also think you should get some layers and cut just above your shoulders. That would look really good on you!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shave your head!
(Never take my advice)

I think that bangs would be cute!! My lil sis (she's 16) has hair similar to yours.....she's got slightly longer bangs....lemme see if I've got a pic.....she's got the bangs & then some fuzzy stuff & it looks good on her. Might work for you?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say a little shorter, with layers and bangs. For my hair, layers make all the differnce in the world. I have a lot of baby fine hair and it tends to look thin if I don't do layers. Right now I don't have bangs, but that is because I've got one of those short in the back and then longer in front looks.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would actually say, "go really short". Ask your hairdresser for suggestions - they're trained to find styles that go with your face shape as well. A really well cut bob with feathered layers would be much softer on your face, and lighter and can give you more volume too. Once you get a new cut, you're going to feel and look like a million bucks!
Go girl!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found what matters most is having a great stylist! You can find someone good (if you don't have someone already) by calling salons and asking what kind of continuing education they require of their stylists. When you show him/her pictures of things you like, he (or she) will be able to work with your hair and face to get the look you want.

A great haircut looks good when you let it air-dry; styling it is an option instead of a must-do.

Am looking forward to seeing the finished cut!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I would actually say, "go really short". Ask your hairdresser for suggestions - they're trained to find styles that go with your face shape as well. A really well cut bob with feathered layers would be much softer on your face, and lighter and can give you more volume too. Once you get a new cut, you're going to feel and look like a million bucks!
Go girl!
me, too - but i like the way my face looks w/short hair. i just got mine cut yesterday - like this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ugh,
I look like a cocker spaniel now. I ran a bunch of errands (like getting a new bottle of wine) after my haircut and it is cold as can be so I had my gloves on and added static so this will not be the best picture.
I go to greatclips. I told her what I wanted (just below chin length, with layers, and brow sweeping bangs. That would be a totally different look. My shortest layer in the front (before) would have become my longest layer if she took a little bit off. She said "are you sure you want to cut off that much"" and I said YES. She cut that all the way around first and said that she went by my shortest layer in the back, which was to my shoulders. Then she said that she was not going to cut a lot of layers because with my natural wave it would make me poof out. Then she would not cut my bangs the way I asked because I said I just wanted to shower and go every day and she said the bangs I wanted would need more than that.
So overall, I was dissapointed with HER (but at the same time I could have stood up for myself and told her to do what I asked).
But on the other hand, cutting all that hair off (at least 4 inches) made my hair really curl and she was probably right about everything.
So here is my new (aka same as before only shorter and curlier) do. It seems that I always get the same haircut, but I really wanted a change yesterday.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... I swear I didn't see that much wave/curl in your first pic. I don't like Greatclips because they've never gotten my hair the way I've wanted it. I usually go to a little higher end salon. I would have pushed the bangs... I still think they'd look nice and not take a huge amount of effort to style daily.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cute! I have a natural wave, but not as much as you do. I think that the shorter hair will actually make your hair easier to do. Just moose it and go. If you are going out on the town or somewhere you want even more curl, put your hair dryer on high heat, but the lowest flow setting, put a defuser on your dryer and I bet you'd get great curl our of your hair.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a natural wave too, and it's a pain to try and style my hair. Every time (bar once) that I've had my hair cut, I always finish up looking like an electrocuted poodle.
I did have it cut into a short bob once that sat very nicely, even with the wave, but I paid a lot of money for it. The more you pay, the better your stylist should be. You've obviously got quite fine, but thick hair - it actually looks pretty cute with the wave in it, but I guess that's not quite what you wanted out of the change. It's a good thing she didn't cut it shorter though, I don't think it would have suited you as well

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the length is just right for you -- it lets your natural curl (which I so envy!) give your hair life! I'm not sure actual hanging-straight-down bangs would have been the best thing, especially if you don't want to have to mess with your hair in the mornings -- but what if you went back and asked her to feather the sides up a little around your face? At the center above your nose, you'd have a few strands that are bang-length, but then the cut would go longer and longer toward the sides, until it joined the existing length by the time it got around to your ears. Like an inverted V across your face.

Can you envision that? It would frame your face in loose curls, spilling down to the sides from a center part. That's what I have now (although I have to roll my hair to make it work), and it's very easy to handle. I can also brush it off to one side and put a pretty comb in to hold that side back... or combs on both sides for windy days... and when I put my hair up in back, the shorter edges around the front spill out and create a nice, feminine look.

Just a thought. You look so cute with your beautiful natural waves!