cut to the quick

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always trim my kitties nails, every 2 weeks because it is something I want them to be used to. I am careful and have never had a problem.
I noticed the other day that parts of Jack's paw were orange. I checked him and he had snagged a nail on something and ripped the tip off (not the whole nail, just the tip) and must have tore to the quick.
He seems fine, but is this a concern? (No limping or favoring, and I am a housewife and he never cried out).
What is the best thing to use to clip their nails?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sometimes happens. Usually that nail might be a bit sensitive for future trimmings but it should heal fine.

I use either regular fingernail clippers on small kittens and change to the scissor type of clippers on the older kittens and adults. I have used the fingernail clippers on adult cats if I didn't have the other ones handy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh good, fingernail clippers is what I have been using.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only ever used the human fingernail clippers, large or small, whatever was handiest at the time.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I use either regular fingernail clippers on small kittens and change to the scissor type of clippers on the older kittens and adults. I have used the fingernail clippers on adult cats if I didn't have the other ones handy
I do the same thing

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With human clippers I tend to cut sideways and would recommend to others, it seems strait on (like us humans do it) can potentially crush the nail.

This more applies to cats who's owners "forgot" to clip and the nail grows down (making an arch).

I love using human clippers, mostly because it makes other humans roll their eyes when they see me treating my cat with "human grade products" (same reaction when I tell them about her food or when I give her spring water)

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Korina

...(same reaction when I tell them about her food or when I give her spring water)
I give my cats spring water as well. =)

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I cut sideways (the flat way), the claw splinters. Am I doing something wrong?

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

If I cut sideways (the flat way), the claw splinters. Am I doing something wrong?
Exactly what I said, use it sideways to avoid that. Even better if her nails are overgrown like that, snip the tip first, then carefully snip the rest.

Another tip is try and get in the habbit of clipping the tips every 2 weeks.

My cat's nails grow fast and get sharp fast, she is bengal that likes to be held and if her nails have gotten sharp by her own grooming then they cut very easily, and you can totally feel them when you hold her. I use that as my cue as the time to clip and it works for us.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

If I cut sideways (the flat way), the claw splinters.
Does your cat have good scratching posts? Ones that will provide a tough surface to help remove the outer sheath from the claw.
Cats usually shed these during scratching, others will gnaw on their claws to pull them off, and sometimes you'll find one laying somewhere odd - like on the bed.

What you are seeing isn't the claw splintering, it's that outer sheath coming off when you clip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need to get Raven and Jack a scratching post.

I am really glad I found this site and others that taught me what declawing really is. It saved 2 kitties

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Invest in a treehouse - minimum of 4 feet tall. They are kittens now, but will soon be adult cats and anything smaller will not last or will tip over.

You might try the cardboard ones - they seem to like the flat ones as well as the treehouses.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

I need to get Raven and Jack a scratching post.

I am really glad I found this site and others that taught me what declawing really is. It saved 2 kitties
If you want to get a treehouse for cheap, go to your local walmart and look for the cat tower. It should cost 35$.

go to Petco and the same thing is almost 120$!

Now I hate walmart but have to cede the sale to them.
I actually have two of them side by side.

Like I said earlier, my cat being a Bengal which are tree dwellers is obsessed with her towers. She sleeps on it, and when she is on there all of her cautiousness and anxiety completely disappears. Its also one of the locations where she purrs while fully awake.

If you have kittens of any breed they will LOVE a cat tower.