I Feel So Smart

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I just figured something out about my cats.

I've had Larry and Lena for a little over 6 weeks now. I get brilliant morning sun in my apartment. I face east, and I'm on the 23rd floor. It casts big splashes of sun on the floor, on the couch, on the bed.....everything.

I couldn't figure out why my cats wouldn't just find a lovely spot and bask in the sun. They're always lying right out of the sun.....out in the open, on the floor, but to the edge of the sun.

Then, it hit me. They were from a street colony and trapped and neutered and socialized for a couple of months before I got them. I'm sure in their previous life, big splashes of sunlight meant they were out in the open, meaning "bad....don't go there". They spent their lives hiding under cars, etc.

I guess they'll just have to learn that the sunlight is okay.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

I think I just figured something out about my cats.

I've had Larry and Lena for a little over 6 weeks now. I get brilliant morning sun in my apartment. I face east, and I'm on the 23rd floor. It casts big splashes of sun on the floor, on the couch, on the bed.....everything.

I couldn't figure out why my cats wouldn't just find a lovely spot and bask in the sun. They're always lying right out of the sun.....out in the open, on the floor, but to the edge of the sun.

Then, it hit me. They were from a street colony and trapped and neutered and socialized for a couple of months before I got them. I'm sure in their previous life, big splashes of sunlight meant they were out in the open, meaning "bad....don't go there". They spent their lives hiding under cars, etc.

I guess they'll just have to learn that the sunlight is okay.
This is very interesting because Alley lies on the window sill but out of the sun. She is a former street cat. Persi lies directly in the sun and we raised him from a kitten. I never gave this any thought before but you may be on to something!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

This is very interesting because Alley lies on the window sill but out of the sun. She is a former street cat. Persi lies directly in the sun and we raised him from a kitten. I never gave this any thought before but you may be on to something!
Hmmmmm......that is interesting!!