Is this a good wedding gift?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been invited to a wedding in June. I'm very good friends with a bridesmaid, so I'm her "plus one" or "and guest".

I was going to go out and get her a $20 gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond, or some other store like that, but the main thing is that I was going to start her a recipe book. Here are some of the recipes I've come up with:

1. Chocolate chip cookies
2. Meatball subs
3. Quick and easy pasta sauce
4. Roasted whole chicken
5. Beef/Lamb stew
6. Basic Butter Cookies
7. Roasted apples with ice cream.
8. The easiest ravioli in the world.
9. Cream Cheese spread.

Bad idea? Good idea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I think it's a great idea. Very thoughtful and sweet.
I might be tempted to add recipies "for 2" and things like that.
I was thinking that too... it may work out better.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That idea is a very creative
Those recipes sound delicious!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know if they like to cook? Some people don't care for cook books but DH and I both love to cook and would love such a thoughtful gift!

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It would be something that I would appreciate. Sounds like a nice gift

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Do you know if they like to cook? Some people don't care for cook books but DH and I both love to cook and would love such a thoughtful gift!
She can do the basics, but not much beyond. What I'd give to her would go slightly beyond basic cooking.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cook (everythings home-made) and when I try a new recipe we rate it to see if its a good keeper or not. If yes it goes into a recipe book I started years ago. Its my go-to book esp if we have guests and I want to have a time tested recipe.
What you might think of is providing recipes in many categories and personalize it my adding some comments on why you like this recipe.

In mine I really don't have many appetizers, some breakfast muffins/coffee cake, few desserts too.
But lots of main dishes featuring pork, chicken, beef or ground beef recipes. I have about 10 soups recipes and some side dishes too.

You might want to think about getting some spices/herbs. My favorite place is penzeys.com-they have gift certs and gift packages that cater to specific types of cooking.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a wonderful gift! I made a similar cookbook for our former nanny and friend for the bridal shower I threw for her and she loved it!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's a really lovely and personal idea
People always tend to appreciate things that someone has put a lot of thought and care into making for them. Wonderful!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to go out and get her a $20 gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond, or some other store like that,
I love the recipe book gift! How about a gift certificate to a major food store so she can buy the ingredients for the recipes instead of Bed Bath and Beyond? Or buy some of the actual ingredients and make up a pretty package?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

I love the recipe book gift! How about a gift certificate to a major food store so she can buy the ingredients for the recipes instead of Bed Bath and Beyond? Or buy some of the actual ingredients and make up a pretty package?
Ohhh... good idea. I could do it for Whole Foods.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cookbook is a great idea. Just make sure she doesn't have any food restrictions. When I was a vegetarian, my (then) sister-in-law gave me steak knives, and someone else gave me a Paul Prudhomme cookbook. Every single recipe had meat in it, even the dirty rice.

A gift certificate to a nice cooking/kitchen store would be good, too. Those places have things like grapefruit spoons and those very, very thin metal spatulas and other cool and useful kitchen tools.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a great Idea!! Personally the only thing I use a cook book for is when I make fudge! Other than that, I make my own recipes!!

If you had some of the ingredients like for brownies for exp, you could put them together in a glass jar to make it look like the sand art brownies! I do that for christmas gifts and then give them the recipe on how to do it on their own! Its alot of fun and people tend to like it!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cook books are good wedding gifts, because they can be used for years and years. We got several German cook books as wedding gifts back in 1980, and I'm still using mny of the recipes.

I like the idea of combining the present with a gift certificate from Whole Foods or the like.

Are you familiar with "Cooking with Cattitude"? http://www.meowhoo.com/cgi-bin/links...ge.cgi?ID=1992

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Cook books are good wedding gifts, because they can be used for years and years. We got several German cook books as wedding gifts back in 1980, and I'm still using mny of the recipes.

I like the idea of combining the present with a gift certificate from Whole Foods or the like.

Are you familiar with "Cooking with Cattitude"? http://www.meowhoo.com/cgi-bin/links...ge.cgi?ID=1992
Oh yes! 8-Bit is on the, "What not to feed your kitties" page.