New option came up today. not sure what to do

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When i got my little rug rats, I had to take them to the vet due to non-poopage (that's a technical term). When I was there I met a lady that runs (I think she runs) goodkitties.org. Actually I had filled out an app on her site and she contacted me, then I ran into her at the vet. She had recommended this vet.

Anyway, to make a long story long
I told her I'd be happy to foster care for pregnant mom cats or ones with new kittens. Soon as my two were old enough to get by on their own.

She contacted me over the weekend. She has a new mom with 4 babies. 1 week old I think. Or maybe 2. Mine are now just over 3. She said she believes that the mom would take my two in and raise them, nurse them and teach them not to crap all over themselves.

I could kill two birds with one stone by taking these guys. I could help a moma cat (she was found outside in th cold with her kittens) and give my little tykes a better shot at being happy. But I'd also have 7 cats in my home.

Would it be wise to consider this? The lady said she'd get them all tested for FIV or whatever prior to me taking them, and if my cats weren't accepted into the fold I could make other arrangements. I'm nervous about this, and I'm torn on what to do. I committed to do it, but I think I'd like to get some pro advice here before actually doing it. Unless someone gives me a good reason not to I think i'll do it.

Thoughts?

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OOhhhh!
I'd do it. I'm not an expert, just an instinct. Mama *should* take them. Then, you've got kittens who were loved and socialized by cats. Sounds good to me!

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh, that's a tough one.If I were in your shoes, I'd probably take them in since you are already dealing with little kittens anyway (and I'm a sucker for a homeless animal). But I have no idea if mixing litters would be an issue -or if the mama would accept kittens that aren;t her own . Maybe some of the more experienced members here will pipe in.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco did nurse a kitten that wasnt hers and she was great with him. It was my Yoshi that was Pts last Month. Just make sure the Mom is tetsed for everything first. They were 6 weeks apart though and I did keep Yoshi. Give it a try if the Mom tests out ok.

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a sucker for kitties so i would take them in especially if it gives your two little beauties a better chance. Have you asked your vet what he/she thinks about this??to your beautiful kittens and to you....

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just might take them in... when I was about 11-12, we had 2 mama cats. (mother and daughter) who had kittens on the same day. One on one brother's bed, one on my other brother's bed... lol...

But they pooled all the kittens (5 in one litter, 4 in the other) and both fed the kittens.. lol we didn't know which kitten came from which mama. Maybe it was because they were related but I don't know.

Pitty the poor dog that ventured into THAT yard! One actually was trying to climb a tree to get away from those 2 mamas!

Hopefully she will accept them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thing is, your two babies are too young to be FeLV tested. Should they test positive, mom & all her babies would have it, too.

It's your call. I've got 10 in my house, soon to be 11....so I say go for it!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do it. Last year I took in several bottle babies when I had nursing mommas and they accepted them right away. I actually had three mommas and what ended up being five separate litters all taking turns caring for one another.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Id do it!! I had 2 mommy kitties have kittens once, and one of them was having troubles taking care of her babies, so the other mommy kitty took the other ones babies and moved them all into my brothers drawer! We didn't know who's kittens were who's! But they all survived and did wonderfully!! I would give it a try!!! Keep me informed!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might find that momma cat is an ally!

She would be the cleaner, the teacher, the disciplinarian. And it would be good for your babies to get cat socialization, as others have said.

She would very likely accept Wilbur and Sissy... we had an orphan come in a few months ago - about 1.5 weeks old... intro'd him to a nursing momma - who sniffed him, grabbed him by the scruff, dropped him into the nest and promptly cleaned him from tip to tail. She fully accepted him in about a nano-second.

It is a testament to the power of mother-love.

And you would have the rescue organization to back you, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well after all the responses I feel much better about accepting this. I'm definitely going forward. I'm asking them to take care of the test and the transportation. I'm getting a little resistance there but I think if I do the fostering I should be able to ask for the prep and transpo work. The org is taking care of the test costs so that's covered.

I'd do everything but right now it's difficult. I'm a project manager for a large corporation. I've been working on a prototype project that is in final presentation status right now. So if the company buys off on this I'll be replacing the entire hosting service for internal hosting. That's 200 offices and tens of thousands of clients. it's a huge career point. That takes a lot of planning. Thankfully the presentations and documentation are done but it's all about negotiating now.

By trade I'm an IT project manager. a private consultant. That's why I can work mostly from home. my work is mostly remote. but this current spot requires hands on.

So I think I have to be firm on this point. I want to help, but I think i'm doing the big part. The semantics can be managed for me.

Am I wrong?

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nope, not wrong in my estimation. You're just trying to do a good thing, all the way around.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Well after all the responses I feel much better about accepting this. I'm definitely going forward. I'm asking them to take care of the test and the transportation. I'm getting a little resistance there but I think if I do the fostering I should be able to ask for the prep and transpo work. The org is taking care of the test costs so that's covered.

I'd do everything but right now it's difficult. I'm a project manager for a large corporation. I've been working on a prototype project that is in final presentation status right now. So if the company buys off on this I'll be replacing the entire hosting service for internal hosting. That's 200 offices and tens of thousands of clients. it's a huge career point. That takes a lot of planning. Thankfully the presentations and documentation are done but it's all about negotiating now.

By trade I'm an IT project manager. a private consultant. That's why I can work mostly from home. my work is mostly remote. but this current spot requires hands on.

So I think I have to be firm on this point. I want to help, but I think i'm doing the big part. The semantics can be managed for me.

Am I wrong?
Nope!!! As someone who works in rescue as a volunteer, I can tell you that you are worth your weight in gold to these people so you have leverage. Make your case; stick to your guns. And good luck.
Let us know how it's going, K?

Adrien

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in the end it didn't happen. Apparently the girl with the mom+kittens never called back. So she either had a change of heart, or gave them to someone else.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Im so sorry about that!! It would have been really nice to have a mama cat around to help with the kittens!
Good thing you're an excellent kitty daddy!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Well, in the end it didn't happen. Apparently the girl with the mom+kittens never called back. So she either had a change of heart, or gave them to someone else.
Yeah, that kind of stuff happens all the time in rescue work. People change their minds, don't call back, etc.

So, back to plan A, right?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Oh, Im so sorry about that!! It would have been really nice to have a mama cat around to help with the kittens!
Good thing you're an excellent kitty daddy!!
WEll, I wouldn't say excellent, i'd say eager, loving and learning but that's about it

Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yeah, that kind of stuff happens all the time in rescue work. People change their minds, don't call back, etc.

So, back to plan A, right?
Yeah. Actually after finding out about the kitty parasite things make more sense. Now that the kittens had a nice clean bath and they're butts are fuzzy and clean again things seem much better now.

I'd rather have the mom, but I think the worst is behind me now with them. they're now about 5 weeks, and learning to use the litter box, as well as eating dry food now. So i'm pretty happy right now

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good. re: dry food and litter box. Good wishes for their continued growth and development!!!