How long is a URI contagious?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering how long a kitty with a URI is contagious? We have a sick rescue kitty and I need to know when it would be safe to bring him home without his cold spreading to Riley.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feline medical book says 3-4 weeks but I have heard or read somewhere else 6 weeks.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We usually treat for 10 days. If they're cleared up by then, we consider them no longer contagious.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We usually treat for 10 days. If they're cleared up by then, we consider them no longer contagious.
I don't know why, but I was told that a cat can carry it for months without developping the symptoms. Is it possible for the cat that got the URI to still carry it when he recovered from it? I really don't know, I'm just asking..

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mawilouwl

I don't know why, but I was told that a cat can carry it for months without developping the symptoms. Is it possible for the cat that got the URI to still carry it when he recovered from it? I really don't know, I'm just asking..
Probably yes. Because some cats are strong enough to keep it at bay & never show symptoms....but they still techincally have a URI. Commonly, if one kitty in a cage has a URI, we treat them all in case the others have it & aren't showing symptoms or else they just pass it around. In theory, a kitty with a healthy immune system shouldn't be able to get a URI.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Probably yes. Because some cats are strong enough to keep it at bay & never show symptoms....but they still techincally have a URI. Commonly, if one kitty in a cage has a URI, we treat them all in case the others have it & aren't showing symptoms or else they just pass it around. In theory, a kitty with a healthy immune system shouldn't be able to get a URI.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me, I wasn't sure. Before I realised I didn't either had the space and experience to deal with a new pregnant foster cat, I was sad because my girls got URI and I thought the virus would stay in my appartment (and carried by my cats) for almost a year (and since pregnant cat cannot get vaccines...). I don't think I'll have a foster cat any time soon (I will for sure eventually, though, I'm just not quite ready yet!), so it's not really a problem, but I was still wondering.

Marilou

ddcarlson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got parker on 12/31/07 the humane society guaranteed me he was in perfect health even though he had some runny eyes. Obviously 4 days later he was sneezing and coughing. I took him to the vet and she gave him 10 days of antibiotics after that was done he seemed fine for about 2 days and then had green stuff coming out of his eyes and has a crusty nose. He no longer has green stuff coming out of his eyes but its clear and crusty and still has a running crusty nose. I was told that some cats just always have it when I called back to check if this was normal. Is this true or is it time to find another vet and take parker in? If you can please give me some suggestions. I'm a first time cat owner and want the best for baby.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
URIs are incredibly common in shelters. I volunteer at the shelter here & it's hard....because some kitties just get off meds, go home & it pops back up.

I do suggest a 2nd opinion with a different vet. It's never a bad idea....these babies trust us with their health, so I think we should make ourselves worthy of that trust!

ddcarlson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took parker to the vet today and I was told he is completly fine in fact that he never had URI at all and that he is just teething I am so happy thanks for your input.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on which virus is actually causing the URI. Some are longer than others and some viruses like Calici can still be spread for several months after the cat has stopped showing symptoms. Then there's feline herpes, which can recur during stressful times, so the cat may be contagious in the future.