Babies????????????????????

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought TCS was all about getting cats fixed! I am reading a lot of post about kittens lately!I know everyone loves kittens,I do too,but kittens grow up and have more kittens! (Purebreeds is a different story.)And then only to better the breed.I just had 2 cats fixed,and have one dog to do,when she is older.I saw 4 dead cats yesterday along the road,and one live one,(could not catch.) people STOP and THINK !

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many come here as it is a rescource for kittens. A lot of the cats are strays, or pregnant foster cats, etc. TCS is pro spay/neuter of pet cats.

However, you will not likely find another resource like the Pregnant Cats & Kitten Care forum anywhere else on the net.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Many come here as it is a rescource for kittens. A lot of the cats are strays, or pregnant foster cats, etc. TCS is pro spay/neuter of pet cats.

However, you will not likely find another resource like the Pregnant Cats & Kitten Care forum anywhere else on the net.
I am all about rescure ,and then fixing them,but some I have read are just letting their cats breed!

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a responsible cat owner and sometimes things happen that are beyond your control like my cat getting out of the house a month before her scheduled spay, I had(sigh) another cat and she was spayed as will my cat now once she has her kittens. This web site is an amazing resorce for people who adopt or foster pregnant cats and new mommies with their kittens. I want to thank everyone that has been there for us since i joined the site...thank you TCS....you rock...hehe

Keep in mind there are very few that are here just because they thought it would be fun to get their cat pregnant and not care, i have not seen anything so far that leads me to think anyone on here is being that careless.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I can't possibly say it half as well as Gaye says it in the Pregnant Cats Forum Guidelines:

About This Forum and Guidelines

As a general rule, TCS is primarily concerned with cat welfare. Because of our strong committment to responsible cat care and treatment, we do promote and strongly encourage a pro-spay/neuter policy here. Unless you are an experienced, responsible, ethical breeder of pedigreed cats, we do not advocate breeding.

If you find yourself caring for a pregnant cat, please know that the option of spaying while still early in the term is available to you. Many people might be uncomfortable with this, however, know that cats do not share our human values when it comes to these things. Abortion is not against their personal belief systems as it may be to some of us. Please consider consulting with your vet to see if he/she will spay in the early term of the pregnancy.

In the interest of reality and to promote our primary mission of cat welfare, the focus of this forum is to assist those who may find themselves having to care for a pregnant cat NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE UNDER WHICH THE CAT CAME TO BE PREGNANT or to hand-raise kittens.

Keeping this focus in mind, the rule is that NO ONE should be judgmental of anyone posting a request for assistance - please do not automatically cite all the good reasons why a cat should be spayed or neutered. This only serves to alienate those who might otherwise be helped here and perhaps forever turn them off from seeking our help - how can we reach people who won't come to our Forums for fear of being jumped on? Again, the FOCUS of this Forum is to assist those who, for WHATEVER reason, may find themselves the primary caregiver to a pregnant cat or orphaned kittens. It is NOT to focus of this Forum to judge anyone requesting assistance. In order to reach as many people as we can with the message of responsible cat care, we must always always always remember to treat everyone here with kindness, consideration and respect. We want to make this a safe, comfortable place for everyone, regardless of their circumstances, to ask questions and seek assistance.
That is what TCS and this particular forum is about.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sherral,
The threads I've been following have been people (including myself) who have rescued or recently adopted cats that have turned out to be pregnant. DillPickles' cat slipped out before her spay appointment. I agree with Dill, in that I have not seen evidence that people are just allowing their cats to breed. This forum is meant to be a resource for people who need advice. I have always spayed and neutered my pets, so having a pregnant cat in the house is very new to me. I need help and this has been a great resource for me. I might be new here and I hope I am not being too presumptuous, but please don't try to make us feel guilty. We are doing the best we can.

Thank you AbbysMom. I was typing while you posted that.

iced tei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been lurking for quite some time before joining, and I've never really seen any of the "regulars" here post anything about breeding their cats just for fun, or just allowing their cats to breed.

Some people have allowed their cats outside before having them fixed and ended up with a pregnant cat that way, but they sure as heck didn't mean to just "let them breed." They just didn't think it through enough. All that I have seen have had plans for getting them fixed before the pregnancy... Or along those lines.

90% of this forum section though is made up of people taking in pregnant cats.

Life happens. We just have to understand that. And we have to understand that people who come here for help need help, and shouldn't be just judged and ridiculed for their mistakes. Yay for AbyssMom for the quotation.

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I knew there was a reason i thought this place was great, all the people here are so wonderful and so helpful...thank you all.

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am another who took in a pregnant stray and came here to get information. I am well aware that a pregnant cat can be spayed and the kittens aborted, but I just could not do that. I realize that many people think that is the best choice, but it just wasn't something I was comfortable doing.

FYI, I have only had two pets in my adult life, both were rescues. My cat was trapped as a stray (at approx 6 months of age) and was spayed. She lived for 17 years as an indoor cat. My dog (now 3-4) is also a female and is spayed.

I totally understand where you are coming from and agree wholeheartedly that all animals should be spayed/neutered. But when a pregnant one shows up on your doorstep, you have to make the decision that you can live with. I will obviously spay my cat once she delivers and have all the kittens fixed as well.

ETA: I do not judge anyone who makes the decision to spay a pregnant cat, but that just isn't something that everyone feels comfortable doing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Cat that can not be Spayed it would have Killed her. She had one time because i had to leave her with someone else until I had a place that takes Cats. She is will be 16 anyday. That was the only time she was Preg. I had my Male fixed very young so he would not get Coco Preg. I just lost him last month at age 5. We also have saved alot of Ferals. I plan on getting another Cat this Summer and want it fixed before I get it. I gave Cocos son to my Sister and he is Fixed. I kept Stormy but lost her Dec 5th to Kidney Failure. The Vet said the bad food might be what caused it but we will never know for sure. She was 5. I like to take Cats that no one wants that have Problems. My Kitten i have has Fcks and thats why I picked her. It cost me over 300 each to fix my other Girls. Yoshi was 86.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sherral46

I thought TCS was all about getting cats fixed! I am reading a lot of post about kittens lately!I know everyone loves kittens,I do too,but kittens grow up and have more kittens! (Purebreeds is a different story.)And then only to better the breed.I just had 2 cats fixed,and have one dog to do,when she is older.I saw 4 dead cats yesterday along the road,and one live one,(could not catch.) people STOP and THINK !
Hi!
I think you must be refeering to people that are not regular on the site.

Most people here are real cat lovers and they want to do what's best for their cats. When I first got here, I didn't know much about cats, but had just adopted two kittens and I wanted to learn everything that could help me to give them a good life. I didn't know about spaying/neutering, non-declawing, vaccines, etc. I can assure you that a week after I subscribed here, I knew all about it! If this forum wouldn't be there, because of my ignorance, I don't know what could've happened to my two darlings (although I still knew better than letting them out without being fixed, but maybe I wouldn't have known if I had had two males instead).

TCS really educate people and those that are not familiar with the basics like "no yard breeding" and "do spay/neuter your cats" are probably those that haven't spend enough time on TCS yet! The baby threads I've been following recently are mostly foster stray cats, so I guess it's not that bad! I think this is a good thread for newcommers, though, because they might not know much about cats and it might help them understand that as much as a kitten can be cute, he/she will grow up and need a home!

What's with the kittens anyways? I looove kittens, they are cute, but I get so mad when people only want to adopt kittens in the shelters and they go back home with their hands empty if there are no young enough kitties available. Kittens in shelter, they are not in need! But see that grown-up cat over there? HE IS! The one that is 3 years old and is the most kind and sweet cat on earth. He's been there forever but no one will take him. Why? "Oh, I don't feel any sparkle when I pet him, but that tiny kitten over there, how old is he? 5 weeks? Look at him he is adorable, I really think we have a connection..I'll take it!"
Sorry, I'm out of line. I had my cats at 8 weeks old, so I'm probably mad at my own ignorance of back then. I'm just so sad when I think of the number of cats that have to die everyday. I'll just swallow this...
...Okay, I'm better now!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mawilouwl

I looove kittens, they are cute, but I get so mad when people only want to adopt kittens in the shelters and they go back home with their hands empty if there are no young enough kitties available.
I know what you mean. Adult cats are great, and the kittens will be adults in no time anyway, so why not just adopt an adult? I got all of mine from shelters or rescued myself and only one of the four cats I have now was a kitten when I got it.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was good of you to take her in! I'm kind of ignorant, but what is fcks?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought is was a mistype of a certain dirty word and I was like what the heck are you talking about??!!?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
now that you said it, duh, what else would it be. But I drew a blank at first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mawilouwl

Hi!
I think you must be refeering to people that are not regular on the site.

Most people here are real cat lovers and they want to do what's best for their cats. When I first got here, I didn't know much about cats, but had just adopted two kittens and I wanted to learn everything that could help me to give them a good life. I didn't know about spaying/neutering, non-declawing, vaccines, etc. I can assure you that a week after I subscribed here, I knew all about it! If this forum wouldn't be there, because of my ignorance, I don't know what could've happened to my two darlings (although I still knew better than letting them out without being fixed, but maybe I wouldn't have known if I had had two males instead).

TCS really educate people and those that are not familiar with the basics like "no yard breeding" and "do spay/neuter your cats" are probably those that haven't spend enough time on TCS yet! The baby threads I've been following recently are mostly foster stray cats, so I guess it's not that bad! I think this is a good thread for newcommers, though, because they might not know much about cats and it might help them understand that as much as a kitten can be cute, he/she will grow up and need a home!

What's with the kittens anyways? I looove kittens, they are cute, but I get so mad when people only want to adopt kittens in the shelters and they go back home with their hands empty if there are no young enough kitties available. Kittens in shelter, they are not in need! But see that grown-up cat over there? HE IS! The one that is 3 years old and is the most kind and sweet cat on earth. He's been there forever but no one will take him. Why? "Oh, I don't feel any sparkle when I pet him, but that tiny kitten over there, how old is he? 5 weeks? Look at him he is adorable, I really think we have a connection..I'll take it!"
Sorry, I'm out of line. I had my cats at 8 weeks old, so I'm probably mad at my own ignorance of back then. I'm just so sad when I think of the number of cats that have to die everyday. I'll just swallow this...
...Okay, I'm better now!
I am talking about new members,I have been a member for years!I am not talking about a person whos cat got out the door by a misshap!I really
people who brings in recures cats and get them fixed.