In need.... (Dill's thread)

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So....I have been here before asking about my kitty Dill and her pregnancy, that was 6 months ago. She unfortunatly gave birth to a still born litter,
We took her to the vet the next day to have her checked and made her appointments to get her updated on on her needles and get her ready for spay....Her appointment was a 3 weeks ago....( we did not let her sneak out once)and don't you know my roomate let her out just before christmas and when i took her to the vet he said she was pregnant, they could still do the spay.(He never said how far into it she was)..I couldnt do it. I cant imagine taking the lives of those little
's growing inside her so i postponed the spay. Now here is my question, about a week and a half ago I started feeling the babies move and friday I started being able to see them move, she has colostum and is very antsy but it is nothing like last time only because last time wasnt normal im sure. Should I be keeping a closer eye on her for impending labor? What should I be looking for? I have her room and bed all set up for her, now im just playing the waiting game, is there any sure signs to let me know she will be going soon??? Thank you for taking the time to read my rant.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have...thank you...I found it helpful yet confusing at the same time....lol

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should be very close now - keep her confined to one room with the birthing box ready. Hopefully things will go well. But do set up the spay appointment as soon as your vet will do it. And keep the kittens/mom together for 10-12 weeks before you find them homes.

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am actually hoping to keep a couple of them depending on the litter size, we recently lost a cat and have wanted to get another one from a local shelter but this seems better. I am fearful for my precious Dill right now after the last litter. She only had 2 and they were both so cute but nothing could be done to help them, my vet said sometimes that happens. I just want to make sure that I can be there, even if it means missing my morning class( im in college) to be there for her. she has been following me so im afraid to be away from her....Im afraid to be excited. ARG....

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your anxiety! We are waiting for our cat to kitten, too. Hopefully a week left, but we're not sure. Do you have pics of her? I'd love to see her! -Jen

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is my princess Dill about 4 weeks ago.....she is usually a skinny cat so you can see a bit of belly there...NOW it is HUGE ill post more as soon as I can get her out of my bedroom....lol

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures of dill I took about 10 minutes ago...they are kinda fuzzy but you can see how big she is and how noticable her nipples are as well

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She sounds like she is ready to go! Movement (according to my vet) is only seen in the last 2 weeks and colostrum appears just days or hours before labor.

Also, fyi when I was a kid in the 1970s, my parents took in a cat who was pregnant. Sadly she gave birth to stillborns. I'm not sure who was more devastated....the cat or my Mom.

The original plan was to spay her after delivery, but my Mom felt so bad that she let the cat out to get pregnant again! She defends her decision to this day saying that our cat was mourning (she was) and couldn't heal without having a live litter of kittens. Anyway our sweet cat gave birth to 6 healthy kittens the second time around (then was spayed). We were allowed to keep one who lived to be 18. The rest were placed with family friends.

Please keep us posted on her progress!

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok IM CONFUSED...according to EVERYTHING ive read and been told a queens rectal temp drops about 24-48 hours before kittening, well my Dill dropped her temp for 24 hours to 99 and now i just checked her again and it is up to 100.5, what does that mean??? Can someone help clear this up for my, Thanks everyone......Erin

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Dill is approx 9 weeks along and today I have noticed( over the past 3 hours) some tightening in her belly...when this happens she wont let me touch her stomache, Is this an early sign that labor is comming or do cats have what e have "braxton Hicks" before they actually deliver?? SHe has been a little "sketchie" today and I finally caught her nesting, she hasnt been eating as much and at last check her temp was 99.9 up from yesterday at 99...HELP PLEASE.....Let me know thank you everyone...

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With that drop in her temp, I would dare guess that she should be having the babies pretty soon. And the not wanting to eat and nesting, is another good sign that it will be soon... Keep a watchful eye on her...

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to class this morning and just got home now( im a student in college...Im 27...UPGRADE MUCH)lol...She seems to be fine but her eating has definatly slowed down and she is drinking alot more....There has been milk( colustum) now for over 4 days and NOTHING....she had some tightenings last night and about 5 min ago I cfelt another one. Last time she had kittens she spotted before she had them But they were still borns so maybe thats why it was like that....She is following me around and if she cant see me meows at me to get over to her pronto....she is so demanding, SHe is sleeping way more i guess she needs to get her rest b4 the big moment. Im hoping she waits till tomorrow to be honest...I have a huge final tomorrow and dont want to be to tired, Ive heard cats only deliver at night....Im so stressed....and excited, Im rambling...lol.....

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my most recent foster had her kittens, she showed almost no signs. She had milk for several days and had discharge on and off, but nothing really consistant. Then all of a sudden she was having contractions and she delivered the first one really quickly. They were all born within 2 hours, so the whole thing was pretty quick.

Oh, and she delivered in the afternoon... so they don't always deliver at night!

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has seemed kinda sketchie too.....not really calm, when she is "relaxing" her eyes are all bugged out and she doesnt want her stomach touched and usually she loves having it rubbed.....HMMMMMMM......come on kittens....lol....getting really really axious

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
all prego cats i've been around delivered in the afternoon!
It sounds like she is really close!