Constipation

rachellena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Reggie age 3 was involved in a really bad car accident last year and we nearly lost him. He had major surgery to put all his vital organs back where they should be and his tail amputated. It is 12 months on and he is becoming very constipated. I have spoken to the vet about this and they say it is something he will be troubles with now.

Has anyone got any feeding advice to help relieve him???

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rachellena

... he is becoming very constipated. I have spoken to the vet about this and they say it is something he will be troubles with now...
I think I need to know more...did the Vet tell you the cause of the constipation? When did it begin? Did you ask the Vet what you can do for it?

If the constipation is occuring because of internal "damage" (from the accident) I would expect the Vet to provide you with a long-term management solution/plan.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that a lot of people with back problems/injuries or anything that can damage nerves down there tend to have constipation as one of their problems. It's a side effect of the body just not being able to control things how it should.
I agree, ask the vet and see if there is anything you can add to the diet to help. Maybe switch to an all wet high end food to lessen the amount he has to pass in total.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly, I'd look for a new vet. For a vet to just tell you he'll have trouble and not give you further advise and assistance isn't acceptable IMO. If you plan on keeping this vet, you need to call him/her and get more specific information and a plan on how to help your cat. If this vet cannot supply that information, then you need to get a new vet.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you do x-rays to determine the extent of the constipation or if there is a pelvic fracture malunion? Constipation can lead to megacolon, which is VERY serious... so its not something to take lightly. If your vet didn't at the very least recommend dietary modifications, enema therapy or stool softeners, then I would ask why...

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with the previous posters about megacolon. My cat suffers from megacolon due to muscle atrophy in old age. However, a lot of cats develop megacolon from pelvic injuries such as what happened to your cat. It's a very complicated condition to treat. I recommend you join a Yahoo group about feline constipation:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline...guid=110972772

The members are very helpful and supportive. Plus, we can all relate to this chronic issue!

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Blast-Off-Girl. Both our cats are in the same constipation situation. Mine will be taking Lactulose, a stool softener, for the rest of her life. She is doing very well on it. Your kitty may just need something like this because of his injuries. I buy mine in Canada to save money, and in Canada you don't need a prescription to buy it, but DEFINITELY get that okayed with your vet first before you start your cat on any medicine. Good luck, sending good vibes for your kitty.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the accident. What a terrible thing to happen to Reggie.

High quality canned (wet) food, or a homecooked *balanced* diet of fresh poultry/meats is preferable for Reggie. Dry food takes a lot of water from the body for digestion which could worsen Reggie's condition. He needs to stay hydrated.

Canned plain pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix which contains spices) usually works very well for constipation. Most cats like the taste. Mix 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon into each meal. You'll most often see results in 24-48 hours. Unfortunately, I think canned pumpkin may be difficult to find in the UK. You can use plain canned or fresh pureed squash instead.

Sending good thoughts and best wishes to Reggie to feel better very soon.