Vet Sez: Ur Kittehz Got Allergyz

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't resist the Lolspeak

Anyway, last week I took Tiny in to the vet because he'd been scratching his ear. The vet diagnosed "allergic otitis" and gave me some steroid-type ear drops. He said allergy testing was available, but expensive.

I'm unemployed--just got fired yesterday... the boss said my disability meant I couldn't do the work. I think I could do it; but she apparently researched it on the Web and got a bad impression. Also, I'm having the dickens of a time getting disability assistance. Apparently HF autistic people are too disabled to work, not disabled enough to get help for it. Go figure.

Anyway, now I need to figure out what Tiny and Baby are reacting to. Both of them have a lot more gunk in their ears than I like to see in kitty ears; and both of them have been treated for yeast infections in their ears. They had ear mites initially, but have had a clean bill of health in that respect ever since we treated them for those.

Food: Purina Naturals (the prime suspect here)
Litter: Fine Feline (off-brand) clumping litter
Environment: An old house, indoor-only, new carpet, last residents (6 months ago) were smokers.
Cleaners: Off-brand cleaner with mainly diluted bleach, no fragrance. Windex. Dishwashing liquid.

Ideas?

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get them on a high quality grain-free diet (many cats have issues with grains). Some good brands are orijen, wellness, fromm's, EVO (make sure it says grain free!)

I'd also change their litter. This is the stuff we use, has no dust, easy to clean and nothing in it that could be harmful for kitty:

http://www.heartypet.com/proddetail....=healthy_pet_2

That's a good place to start. The higher end food and litter is more expenive, but you can feed less and it may just save you a whole bunch in vet bills.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First question: what stores/foods avail?
What's your budget?

I suspect the food & would go for a lower grain one....but not sure what you can afford to feed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm paying $8 per bag. I can't go too far beyond that, but $15 or so would be OK.

They digest the food just fine... don't cats who have grain trouble mostly have trouble digesting it, rather than react to it with allergy?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Right now I'm paying $8 per bag. I can't go too far beyond that, but $15 or so would be OK.

They digest the food just fine... don't cats who have grain trouble mostly have trouble digesting it, rather than react to it with allergy?
No, I think grain allergies can trigger all sorts of issues. Grains are not easily digestible for any cat, allergies or not.

I feed Natural Balance's grain-free dry and it was $15 for 5 lbs or $20 for 10 lbs (so I of course bought the 10 lb bag). This was at Petco.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

No, I think grain allergies can trigger all sorts of issues. Grains are not easily digestible for any cat, allergies or not.

I feed Natural Balance's grain-free dry and it was $15 for 5 lbs or $20 for 10 lbs (so I of course bought the 10 lb bag). This was at Petco.
note FYI ... NB grain free is NOT a meat based but a starch based thus the % of carbs = s or exceeds regular grain containing foods

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gets really itchy if she eats anything with grains in it. Cats have no biological requirement for grain, and therefore shouldn't be made to eat it, IMO.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it must be 8 lb. I'm not entirely sure, because I emptied the bag into an airtight plastic container when I got it. Otherwise, Baby does her Houdini act to wherever the food is, chews into the bag, and pigs out!

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just looked up Purina Naturals and looks like the $8 bag is 6.3# equates to $1.27 per#
There are several known allergens in the food:
corn gluten meal, soybean meal are both in the first 5 ingredients it goes on to mention corn again, soybean hulls, and ground whole wheat

At petsmart the only two foods I know of that dont have these allergens are By Nature, and Blue Spa. They are both "super premium" and a bit more expensive, but you are feeding less and saving on vet bills. If grain free is too expensive, I would try one of these next to see if they help.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

note FYI ... NB grain free is NOT a meat based but a starch based thus the % of carbs = s or exceeds regular grain containing foods
really? I didn't know that. Even so, it's the only grain-free dry food I can buy here without ordering online. (I feed mostly wet anyway)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie

just looked up Purina Naturals and looks like the $8 bag is 6.3# equates to $1.27 per#
There are several known allergens in the food:
corn gluten meal, soybean meal are both in the first 5 ingredients it goes on to mention corn again, soybean hulls, and ground whole wheat

At petsmart the only two foods I know of that dont have these allergens are By Nature, and Blue Spa. They are both "super premium" and a bit more expensive, but you are feeding less and saving on vet bills. If grain free is too expensive, I would try one of these next to see if they help.
Both have barley ... and rice which is not as allegenic as wheat but is also in the naturals...

you might look at the Blue spa wilderness it is chn , sweet potato and oatmeal

NB has a LOWER % protein than most NON senior foods .... it is mostly pea

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... the ear drops have really seemed to help Tiny. I know they just treat symptoms but it's been a week since I stopped them and his ears still don't seem to itch, and the bit where he drew blood has healed nicely. Then again, the seasons are starting to change into spring, so maybe some winter-related allergen was the problem? At any rate, I'm going to see whether there's a pet shop in the nearest town--we have bus service to that, and I don't have a car; so it's that or Wal-Mart in our town. I'll just make a list and see what you guys think.