burned pots

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Well, I've done it again. I burned the bottom of a pot.

A few months ago I burned some rice and never managed to get the black completely out of the bottom of the pot. That was my smallest pot.

This morning, I burned my oatmeal and the bottom of the pot is completely black. I haven't tried scrubbing yet, but it doesn't look good. That was my second smallest pot.

So now all my small pots are out of commission. I'm not sure how I'll make my oatmeal.

Is it possible to save those pots? With the smallest one, with a lot of scrubbing I was able to get most of the black out, but not all. They're really good so I'd rather not have to replace them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get your faucet water really, really, hot and add that plus dish soap to the pot.

Let it soak for an hour, then begin scrubbing. Most of the "loose" items will fall off almost immediately, but I would definitely do some scrubbing.

Are you're pots non-stick? If they aren't (i.e. just plain silver ones) and the stuff on the bottom didn't come off, try a little bit of bleach and hot water and soak. The bleach will help break down the stuff. Rinse, really, really well.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain... lol. My husband does that all the time and I'm about ready to throw out the small pot he uses because he's scratched up the non stick surface in it so bad.
He's already almost ruined out stainless steel pot by leaving it alone while it boiled away water into nothing. At least it's usable but it looks terrible. (His cooking privileges with the pots are temporarily limited.
)

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
salt and Ice Put ice in the pot and pour salt over it then shake the pot, I am not sure what it does but it works wonders on pans with burnt bottoms and coffee pots with burnt bottoms

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you might be able to find an inexpensive rice cooker at a discount store, I got one for under $20 and it works wonderfully to make my rice in, I never got my minute rice to turn out right

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always heard you should put some water into the pan, add salt, bring to the boil and leave to soak for about twelve hours, bring to the boil again. The debris should wipe off. If this is not the case add more salt and bring to the boil again.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

salt and Ice Put ice in the pot and pour salt over it then shake the pot, I am not sure what it does but it works wonders on pans with burnt bottoms and coffee pots with burnt bottoms
I was going to suggest this too. It kills your arm after a while, but it gets a lot of the burned stuff out. Use a lot of ice, and a lot of salt, not just enough to cover the bottom. If you have a lid, you will probably want to use that because it will take a lot of shaking in a circular motion.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom always just sprinkled soda in the pot and added a bit of water then let it sit overnight.

I don't like minute rice at all, but a nice Chinese fellow who went to school with my husband taught me how to make rice and it never burns.

Just put your rice and water in your pot, bring it to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, put the lid on, turn the burner down to almost the lowest position and let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Do NOT take the cover off until after that time. You'll have perfect rice every time.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always cook oatmeal and rice in the microwave. So far as cleaning burned pots, one of the following should work:

1. Immediately scrap out the burnt contents the best you can. Put about 3 inches or 6 centimeters of hot water into your pot with 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar used for baking or 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of baking powder. Put a lid on and boil for 5 minutes, then use your scrubber to clean. Depending on how badly your pot is burnt, you may have to repeat the above procedure.

2. Hydrogen Peroxide and Cascade Dishwashing Crystals. Mix both together in your pot. Let soak for several minutes. Do not heat up. Wipe with a sponge.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bar-Keeper's Friend and a lot of elbow grease.

DH thought it would be totally cool to burn the bottom of our $180 "stainless" steel saute pan. So, he spent an afternoon un-burning it.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

I've heard that somewhere before...so it really works?

I don't burn pots, but hubby does on occasion...haha
might have to try this next time!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

So now all my small pots are out of commission. I'm not sure how I'll make my oatmeal.
i make mine in the microwave... i use regular oatmeal [not the steel cut or irish oats, but american oatmeal] & i put the oatmeal, salt & water in a bowl, then microwave it for a minute at a time [stirring in between] until it's done. usually takes 2-3 minutes.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the pot, what it is made of. Non stick, soak in hot water and dish soap, grease fighting cleaner, and it is possible to use a soft Brillo pad after well soaked. Stainless pots, soak in hot water/degrease cleaner, oven cleaner, then Brillo/S.O.S. pad. The trick is to soak immediately after, warm/hot to hotter soapy water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see if it works.

I don't like making oatmeal in the microwave. Same for rice. In fact, I only use the microwave to reheat leftovers.

Ah well, at least I have some yummy raisin bread for breakfast. I'll have that with some peanut butter and a side of fruits. It's not oatmeal, but it'll do.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I cook alot I can have burnt stuff in bottom of pots. When at grocery store in the aisle with the cleaning products look for a "chore boy" copper metal scrubber. Their are also "stainless steel" colored ones by a different brand.
Pour a small amt of boiling water in bottom of pot to soften and dumpt out. Since the Chore boy is metal is will get the burnt spots out with some elbow grease. I've used this method for years with success!!