Litter Box Reeks of Amonia

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been noticing lately that Skye's litter box always has the overpowering sent of ammonia in her urine. Is there a reason why? Is there any thing I should include or not include in her diet to change this? Right now she is on Iams kitten dry food and the same for her wet food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take her for a vet check specifically testing the urine for a UTI. That often means a kitty has a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Take her for a vet check specifically testing the urine for a UTI. That often means a kitty has a UTI.
She has had a UTI once before. Hopefully they can just re prescribe the antibiotics without having a visit. The visit will in the end be around $125.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can also mean that you need to scoop and/or change the litter more often. How often are you scooping?

I have one litter box that the cats didn't use every day so I stopped scooping every day. Then when I would get to it. I'd find a clump or two that smelled like ammonia.

So I went back to scooping that box daily (or at least checking it daily) and that problem went away.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

It can also mean that you need to scoop and/or change the litter more often. How often are you scooping?

I have one litter box that the cats didn't use every day so I stopped scooping every day. Then when I would get to it. I'd find a clump or two that smelled like ammonia.

So I went back to scooping that box daily (or at least checking it daily) and that problem went away.
Since she is the only kitty I try to do it like every other day. But it's bad. I'm sick and the odor cleared up my nose and then some.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she jumping in and out of the litter box alot? That's generally a sign of a UTI. May need to take her to the vet if this is something you never noticed before.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its not UTI, then it could be that she's not spayed yet. Un-neutered/spayed kittens tend to have more concentrated urine and a stronger smell.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some litters aren't as good at hiding the smell, and if the depth of the litter is shallow, could be that the urine smell has permeated the surface of the box.

I tried some "natural" litter that was grass pellets. Ork the smell!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UTI should definitely be ruled out #1. Even though she is an only kittie, her litter needs to be scooped more than once every couple days. It needs to be scooped at least once per day. I make a point of doing ours each night before I go to bed which has become a daily ritual. On weekends, I'll sometimes scoop during the day as well.

Type of litter can also have a bearing. I find clay litters seem to hold the ammonia smell - phew! I prefer the World's Best Cat Litter and I keep it deep enough that they have plenty of litter to cover their business quite easily.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair, she said she's been sick - we all know that sometimes we can't keep up on everything when we're not feeling well. I have days that cannot physically bend down to scoop - I do so as soon as I'm able, even if it's in the middle of the night.

And to SkyeCat, if you missed scooping you can't complain about the smell.
Just be glad your girl is tolerant and hasn't left you a surprise outside the box.

Best to rule out UTI just in case, though.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will try to keep up on scooping and see how it goes if the smell continues or not. I'm thinking the litter could be a prob. I'm using arm & hammer which contains no scent. Thankfully I'm almost out of it. Not diggin on the brand at all.

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find that sometimes if they miss the box it can dribble down the side and gets wet underneath which makes it smell , i replace the litter boxes a few times a year as no matter how much i wash it after a time it seems to smell . maybe because i cant use liners as my fussy cats dont like them when they are having a good scratching in the litter hehe