Pellet stoves

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many of you own a pellet stove? We just got one a few weeks ago and I love it! It keeps my house so much warmer then any other heat source.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

nope not me..not even sure what a pellet stove is...
It is like a wood stove but you fill up the back with wood pellets and it feeds the pellets in a little at a time and burns them instead of you dealing with chopping and loading up logs of wood.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just have a regular ole wood stove. We own 79 acres with 19 acres of woods and have all the wood we want -just have to cut and split it and haul it home.
I do agree though that once you heat a home with this type of heat its a bit warmer than other types!!

Do you have a humidifier running as with firewood I'm sure its a bit drying.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents have one also and its SO warm - its lovely.

The only downside is that the pellet fires here need electricity to start up, so if there is a power cut, you are cold!
Luckily power cuts don't happen often here in Christchurch.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've got a corn stove, but it also burns wood pellets.

I
it & so do the kitties!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fires of any kind inside scare me. That includes gas stoves because of the flames. I don't even light candles very often. And when I do it's usually only during a power failure or during dinner and I never leave the room if a candle is burning. Before I leave the room I blow out the candle even if I'm coming back in a couple of minutes.

I like the look of wood stoves and fire places, but I'll never use one in my home even if it's there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our future house will have one. We meet some new friends (Oci owners) on Saturday - they have a newly built house; we got a tour and they are using the pellet heating.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have one and it's really nice. It gets a little colder in the bedrooms because its the warm air that's heating the living room, but you sleep under covers in bed so you stay warm.

The cat even likes to lay on it when the fire is off. It gets warm and she lays on it. Obviously if it was too hot, she wouldn't lay on it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is Ophelia sleeping in front of ours yesterday.....she's sleeping there now again!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

We just have a regular ole wood stove. We own 79 acres with 19 acres of woods and have all the wood we want -just have to cut and split it and haul it home.
I do agree though that once you heat a home with this type of heat its a bit warmer than other types!!

Do you have a humidifier running as with firewood I'm sure its a bit drying.
Right now we do not have a humidifier. We just got our pellet stove. But yes, the air does get a lot dryer so I am looking into getting one.

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

My parents have one also and its SO warm - its lovely.

The only downside is that the pellet fires here need electricity to start up, so if there is a power cut, you are cold!
Luckily power cuts don't happen often here in Christchurch.
Yeah, we have back up heating for if the power goes out. We rarely loose power though.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

We've got a corn stove, but it also burns wood pellets.

I
it & so do the kitties!
Yeah, you can burn both which is nice. Have you burned wood pellets before? Do you find you like the corn better or is it about the same?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Yeah, you can burn both which is nice. Have you burned wood pellets before? Do you find you like the corn better or is it about the same?
We got this corn stove with a free pallet of wood pellets. We haven't gone through all the pellets yet, so we haven't used corn in it. I think we've had the stove installed for 2-3 weeks now.....it rocks.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We got this corn stove with a free pallet of wood pellets. We haven't gone through all the pellets yet, so we haven't used corn in it. I think we've had the stove installed for 2-3 weeks now.....it rocks.
Oh wow, how exciting! I wish we got free pellets!! How many were on the pallet? I guess buying them by the ton is the best way to go. We have just been buying them at Walmart!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no clue. We've got like a half dozen bags in the house, the rest of the pallet is in the old garage.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

...I wish we got free pellets!! How many were on the pallet?...
Oh gosh... I'm so glad I read this thread. You gave me the first smile I've had in a long time, by making me think of Danny Kaye in that old movie: the pallet with the pellets, the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace, the flagon with the dragon...