Cat scratching around food bowl...

wdavidow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off I wanted to introduce myself, since this is my first post on here. Hi everyone! My name is Will, I have two cats (Tiggs and Pogo).

So, lately one of my cats, Pogo, any time he eats, has been scratching around where the food bowl before he eats is sitting. I recently put down a plastic mat underneath their water and food so it would be a bit more tidy, and easier to clean.. I think that's the reason I'm noticing Pogo doing this more. The behavior is sort of like when they're in the litter box, and you know they've definitely covered everything up, but they stay there scratching for 15 minutes anyway. So this is sort of like that, only he's just scratching around the food bowl before digging in to eat.

I wouldn't really call this a problem... I'm just sort of curious as to what this behavior means.

Anyone have any ideas?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wdavidow

First off I wanted to introduce myself, since this is my first post on here. Hi everyone! My name is Will, I have two cats (Tiggs and Pogo).

So, lately one of my cats, Pogo, any time he eats, has been scratching around where the food bowl before he eats is sitting. I recently put down a plastic mat underneath their water and food so it would be a bit more tidy, and easier to clean.. I think that's the reason I'm noticing Pogo doing this more. The behavior is sort of like when they're in the litter box, and you know they've definitely covered everything up, but they stay there scratching for 15 minutes anyway. So this is sort of like that, only he's just scratching around the food bowl before digging in to eat.

I wouldn't really call this a problem... I'm just sort of curious as to what this behavior means.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hellow Will,
Welcome to TCS. We are glad that you are here!

There is a wealth of information on this site about cats and thousands of members to help you and give you information about cats. One of the best ways to know about the site is to play or at least read the KatKwiz game every day which is designed to teach newcomers like yourself about the site. Click on the here link below for more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wdavidow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It's a common practice
Believe it or not it's when their burying their food even though their not if you know what i mean?
Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you! I sort of figured it was something like that, given the similar litter box behavior. Thanks for your help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wdavidow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Hellow Will,
Welcome to TCS. We are glad that you are here!

There is a wealth of information on this site about cats and thousands of members to help you and give you information about cats. One of the best ways to know about the site is to play or at least read the KatKwiz game every day which is designed to teach newcomers like yourself about the site. Click on the here link below for more information.
Thanks for the welcome!!

Thanks for the info! (the link in your post didn't work for some reason, but I clicked the on in your signature).

I'm definitely going to spend time reading through posts and learning more about the site!

~Will

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It's a common practice
Believe it or not it's when their burying their food even though their not if you know what i mean?
Yes, what Rosiemac said. I have 2 cats that do the same thing.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
George even tries to bury my food - if I'm using a placemat or paper towel - something for him to scratch up. Don't know if he's trying to tell me something (like I don't need to be eating) or just doing me a favor!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol i posted pics around here of one of my cats using my socks to bury her food lol

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever my cats do that, it seems to be an editorial comment about the selection of canned food.