TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat scratching around food bowl...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat scratching around food bowl...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
First off I wanted to introduce myself, since this is my first post on here. Hi everyone! My name is Will, I have two cats (Tiggs and Pogo).

So, lately one of my cats, Pogo, any time he eats, has been scratching around where the food bowl before he eats is sitting. I recently put down a plastic mat underneath their water and food so it would be a bit more tidy, and easier to clean.. I think that's the reason I'm noticing Pogo doing this more. The behavior is sort of like when they're in the litter box, and you know they've definitely covered everything up, but they stay there scratching for 15 minutes anyway. So this is sort of like that, only he's just scratching around the food bowl before digging in to eat.

I wouldn't really call this a problem... I'm just sort of curious as to what this behavior means.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #2 of 10
It's a common practice Believe it or not it's when their burying their food even though their not if you know what i mean?
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavidow View Post
First off I wanted to introduce myself, since this is my first post on here. Hi everyone! My name is Will, I have two cats (Tiggs and Pogo).

So, lately one of my cats, Pogo, any time he eats, has been scratching around where the food bowl before he eats is sitting. I recently put down a plastic mat underneath their water and food so it would be a bit more tidy, and easier to clean.. I think that's the reason I'm noticing Pogo doing this more. The behavior is sort of like when they're in the litter box, and you know they've definitely covered everything up, but they stay there scratching for 15 minutes anyway. So this is sort of like that, only he's just scratching around the food bowl before digging in to eat.

I wouldn't really call this a problem... I'm just sort of curious as to what this behavior means.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hellow Will,
Welcome to TCS. We are glad that you are here!

There is a wealth of information on this site about cats and thousands of members to help you and give you information about cats. One of the best ways to know about the site is to play or at least read the KatKwiz game every day which is designed to teach newcomers like yourself about the site. Click on the here link below for more information.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
It's a common practice Believe it or not it's when their burying their food even though their not if you know what i mean?
Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you! I sort of figured it was something like that, given the similar litter box behavior. Thanks for your help!
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Hellow Will,
Welcome to TCS. We are glad that you are here!

There is a wealth of information on this site about cats and thousands of members to help you and give you information about cats. One of the best ways to know about the site is to play or at least read the KatKwiz game every day which is designed to teach newcomers like yourself about the site. Click on the here link below for more information.
Thanks for the welcome!!

Thanks for the info! (the link in your post didn't work for some reason, but I clicked the on in your signature).

I'm definitely going to spend time reading through posts and learning more about the site!

~Will
post #6 of 10
my kitty Sabrina does the same thing. I find it kinda cute :-)
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
It's a common practice Believe it or not it's when their burying their food even though their not if you know what i mean?
Yes, what Rosiemac said. I have 2 cats that do the same thing.
post #8 of 10
George even tries to bury my food - if I'm using a placemat or paper towel - something for him to scratch up. Don't know if he's trying to tell me something (like I don't need to be eating) or just doing me a favor!
post #9 of 10
lol i posted pics around here of one of my cats using my socks to bury her food lol
post #10 of 10
Whenever my cats do that, it seems to be an editorial comment about the selection of canned food.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat scratching around food bowl...