should I adopt a cat or a kitten? Breed?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright so after a lot of thought and weighing different issues I have decided to adopt a new cat when I move instead of spilting up the two cats I have now. I have about 3 months, so there isn't a huge rush, but the more I can plan out, the more ready I can be.

So the question comes down to, should I get a cat or a kitten?

My first thought was a kitten, the reason being that I wanted a cat without many bad habits (such as eating books) and one that would be more likely not to put up a fight with the older cat that already lives in the new place. This cat has come a long ways when she was with us, and toward the end was living well with our cats and dog (aside from when the cats tried to eat her treats, but thats to be expected). But I will have about ten days I will have that I can spend with the cat, then I start school and will be gone for half the day all week.

And another quick question would be, should I worry about getting a type of breed? I dont have alot of money, but if its going to be a big thing, I'll move things around to get the type of cat I can be happy with for the rest of it's lifetime.

Any thoughts?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are annoying. Trust me.

I reccomend 2 adults. You can often find kitties who need to go in pairs. Don't look at breed or sex, just find a moggie (mixed breed) or two in a shelter who would be a good fit to your lifestyle. You can often find kitties already declawed if that is what you want.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one of my very best cats "picked us out" at the shelter. She was about 1 1/2 and just walked up and bonked us with her head. I love thinking I have saved a life like that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I'm afraid I can only get one cat, as there is already a cat in the place I'm moving to (A adult cat who stayed with me in the place I'm in now, and took awhile to get used to not being the only cat) but you might be right. I had heard somewhere that adult female cats take better the new cats if they are kittens, but it might have just been a rumor....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, while some cats do take better to kittens.....some do not adapt well to their "annoying-ness". Just look for a kitty who has proven to do well with others. If you worry about the resident kitty accepting the new one, make sure to pick a laid back kitty.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

And another quick question would be, should I worry about getting a type of breed? I dont have alot of money, but if its going to be a big thing, I'll move things around to get the type of cat I can be happy with for the rest of it's lifetime.
If there are certain traits you are after you could look into a breed specific rescue or a retired breeding cat from a breeder.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would only recommend you get a breed IF there are certain things you want in a cat or know you DO want a specific breed. Otherwise, write down some traits you like or longhair/shorthair, color, etc.

Nothing wrong with a mixed breed - most of us with purebreds have mixed or owned them in the past (I have both mixed and purebred - always have).

Younger kittens (3-6 months) would be more work in making sure you "kitten-proof" things. And if you are worried about introductions, then maybe look for a kitten between 6-12 months old. They would still be very much kitten in behavior, but would adjust to a new house/other pets quicker then an older cat - over 1 yr old.

Whatever you choose, it would be best if the cat is neutered or spayed before you bring them home.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would only recommend you get a breed IF there are certain things you want in a cat or know you DO want a specific breed. Otherwise, write down some traits you like or longhair/shorthair, color, etc.

Nothing wrong with a mixed breed - most of us with purebreds have mixed or owned them in the past (I have both mixed and purebred - always have).

Younger kittens (3-6 months) would be more work in making sure you "kitten-proof" things. And if you are worried about introductions, then maybe look for a kitten between 6-12 months old. They would still be very much kitten in behavior, but would adjust to a new house/other pets quicker then an older cat - over 1 yr old.

Whatever you choose, it would be best if the cat is neutered or spayed before you bring them home.
hank you, this was very helpful. As far as traits, well the type of thing I want is basicly a cat who will enjoy spending time with me (as in curl up on the bed/lap and won't attack others, a "people" cat would be nice, but as long as it stands me I'm o.k., either then that, the only thing I would insist on is a smart cat (when I was younger I had a cat who got ran over because he wouldn't jump out of the way into the snow, I don't think I could handle that again) shorthair would be best, but not something I have to have...If I was to choose a breed it would probably be a Birman, but perhaps it would be better to find a young cat who doesn't have a home.

So that brings me to the question, is there a way to tell a cat's age? When I got one of the cats I have now the pound lied about his age by about 1 1/2 years (said he was 6 months when he was really 2 years)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets usually do the age thing based on the cat's teeth; so you'd have to have them look at the cat and tell.

Will tell you that MOST breeders in the US insist on indoor only for their cats
As far as people/lap cats; Rexes, Siamese, Oriental, Burmese, Tonkinese would fit that criteria.

Ocis are people oriented/smart but not really lap cats

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Vets usually do the age thing based on the cat's teeth; so you'd have to have them look at the cat and tell.

Will tell you that MOST breeders in the US insist on indoor only for their cats
As far as people/lap cats; Rexes, Siamese, Oriental, Burmese, Tonkinese would fit that criteria.

Ocis are people oriented/smart but not really lap cats
So there isn't a way of being able to tell myself if I were to go to the pound or another place like that? I would have to adopt them first and wait till I had taken them to the vet? (thats what happened last time by the way, which is why I knew he was 2 years old) I am planning on having them sprayed either way, kittens are cute, but I dont have the time or money for a litter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you don't want to add to the population anyway
You can kinda tell by size alone. Mature cats just look "mature" - not sure how to explain it, but a 6 month old kitten would NOT look like an adult 2 yr old cat! I can see the shelter being off about 6 months - but not that far off.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, congrats on getting a new kitty!

I would recommend going to your local shelter, and just seeing which ones you bond with. Take a list of things you want (well socialized, good with other cats, etc). Most of the time the shelter workers have worked with them long enough to point you in the right direction. I actually would recommend an older cat instead of a kitten. Especially if you aren't going to be home very often because of school. An older cat doesn't need the attention or supervision that a kitten or younger cat would. And, it would be easier on the older cat. Adult cats tend to keep to themselves more and socialize when they feel like it. A kitten would try to play constantly (in between naps) and might annoy the older cat too much.

As for breeds, I have no clue. All of mine were barn cats so that have a little bit of everything in them (including bobcat) but they are the most loving babies I could ever wish for.

Good luck!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, shelters very often do know the approximate ages of their cats - they are all usually gone over (if quickly) by a vet before being put in with the other cats, plus people who work with them all day can give you a good idea. Second, you mentioned the older cat in the house - if it's a male, you'll have less trouble intro'ing a new cat, if a female, more trouble, though not necessarily forever. Third, grown cats for some reason rarely, if ever, treat kittens as such, but only seem to see new intruders and may treat new cats like garbage til they 'blend'.