Big Question

sanchara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so here's a big question.
My Boyfriend is rather allergic (quite so) to cats. However, I intensly dislike living without a cuddly little buddy to keep me company. But I'm not a millionare, does anyone know anything about these so called "hypoallergenic cats" or anything about any of the breeds being less allergenic?
thanks
Sanchara

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's going to depend on the cat. You can find many in shelters....depending on coat/hairlength, etc....that he won't be allergic to. The problem is, going into the shelter will probably make him miserable.

There are so called "hypo-allergenic" breeds, I don't buy it. I've known people to buy purebred "hypo-allergenic" breeds of dogs & still have allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sanchara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks,
I hadn't even thought that there might be shelter cats that fit this sticky criteria. In the reaserch I've been doing it seems to me that for the most part what people are actually allergic to is a protien in their saliva or something like that, I'm still wondering if there's even a way (like a shampoo or something simmilar) to reduce the impact of the allergens in normal cats.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes there is! (Sorry, I'm scatterbrained today)

You can wipe them down daily with a cloth wet with distilled water.
Brush/comb & bath often
Vacuum a lot
Cover furniture with covers (I use sheets) & wash them regularly...like 1x a week

Your SO can try meds, if necessary.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sanchara

thanks,
I hadn't even thought that there might be shelter cats that fit this sticky criteria. In the reaserch I've been doing it seems to me that for the most part what people are actually allergic to is a protien in their saliva or something like that, I'm still wondering if there's even a way (like a shampoo or something simmilar) to reduce the impact of the allergens in normal cats.
That is exactly what people are allergic to, not the hair, not the skin, not the cat in general, it is a specific protein. That is why I find it odd when people say they are allergic so they go with a short hair cat over a long haired one. It makes no difference. Anyways, has he looked into allergy shots at all?

Also remember that Hypo-Allergenic does not mean no allergic reaction it just means less of one.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO there is no "hypoallergenic" cats - any cats with fur can cause a reaction - depending on how allergic you are. I don't believe in those type of cats.

Now there are several breeds that have less shedding - the rexes (cornish/devon), ultra shorthair cats with close lying coats - orientals, Ocicats, Burmese.

But some things to do if you pick out a kitty for your home:

1. Make the bedroom off limits to cats - you need a place to sleep without cat fur in the room and especially on the bed/pillow.

2. Get a HEPA filter for your house.

3. Get rid of as much carpet as you can - less cat hair to stick around.

4. Wipe down your cat every day with distilled drinking water - it will lessen the dander that causes the allergies.

5. Take allergy medication and be sure to wash your hands after handling the cat.

6. Keep the cat away from your face/eyes

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your right it is the Saliva. I should know I am bery Allergic and had the Shots. I quit because they cost to much now but they helped me.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend is allergic to all but Siamese cats....we (and his MD) don't know why, but it works for us.....

I also take Zyrtec daily, because if the cat gets near my face or eyes I swell up and itch, but just being around him causes no reaction...

Good luck!

rolling thunder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a Siberian, which some people claim to be hypoallergenic or less allergenic. We got him since I was slightly allergic to cats. However, I still was allergic to him. Many Siberian breeders will let you come visit their cattery and play with the cats and you can see if he will have less of a reaction. That might be an option for you.

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've gotten some great advice, so I won't reiterate it. I just wanted to add that I was/am highly allergic to cats. Living in a three story house with one I was OK, but then moved into a one bedroom apartment with two. I DIED for a good month, but after that built up an immunity to the allergy.

I'm still allergic to most other cats, but I don't have any reaction at all to my own.