World of difference: kitten booster shot

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simone the kitten had her second set of distemper shots yesterday. Her first shots resulted in a couple of days of extreme sleepiness. So this time the vet gave her a shot of benedryl and a shot of a steroid first. In her opinion, the reaction to the first shot was a problem. Apparently, if a kitty is sensitive to the vaccinations, they can get progressively more sensitive with subsequent vaccinations.

She slept a little but then was pretty much herself for most of the day. By evening, I assume when the benedryl wore off, she was less active, but still eating and playing some.

Clearly, I have a cat that doesn't react well to vaccinations. Thought it would be helpful to pass along what she told me to watch for.

Feel the ears: If they are hot, it could be a sign of an emergency
Look at the gums: Are they pale and not healthy pink: call the vet.
(Be sure you're not pulling too hard on her mouth and causing the gum to blanch)

Then the usual: watch for swelling, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme lethargy.

This morning she was well enough to play and eat and cause some trouble. She and the others are all busy in their morning snoozing.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauraG

Simone the kitten had her second set of distemper shots yesterday. Her first shots resulted in a couple of days of extreme sleepiness. So this time the vet gave her a shot of benedryl and a shot of a steroid first. In her opinion, the reaction to the first shot was a problem. Apparently, if a kitty is sensitive to the vaccinations, they can get progressively more sensitive with subsequent vaccinations.

She slept a little but then was pretty much herself for most of the day. By evening, I assume when the benedryl wore off, she was less active, but still eating and playing some.

Clearly, I have a cat that doesn't react well to vaccinations. Thought it would be helpful to pass along what she told me to watch for.

Feel the ears: If they are hot, it could be a sign of an emergency
Look at the gums: Are they pale and not healthy pink: call the vet.
(Be sure you're not pulling too hard on her mouth and causing the gum to blanch)

Then the usual: watch for swelling, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme lethargy.

This morning she was well enough to play and eat and cause some trouble. She and the others are all busy in their morning snoozing.
Thank you for your useful information.

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would strongly advise taking your cat's reaction to a vaccination very seriously (it sounds like you are), as future vaccinations or shots could lead to tragedy.

My beloved cat died 2 months ago because her body reacted so severely to a routine rabies vaccination - she went into anaphylactic shock after her vaccination had been administered... soon after we got home from the vet. Although we took her back to the vet immediately and they did all they could for her, her life could not be saved. I can't explain how much this loss hurts, but I hope others can learn from what happened to my kitty.

The symptoms that you listed to look for are correct. Be aware that a cat's reaction to a vaccination can start with one symptom like vomiting and quickly escalate to all symptoms like diarrhea, lethargy, hot ears, and drooling. My cat went downhill very fast. We didn't even know what was happening to her until she had a sudden onset of many symptoms.

She had thrown up once or twice after a vaccination in the past, but we assumed, and the vet assumed it was because she was anxious (although looking back, I do not believe that to be the case). If your cat is having reactions now... the reactions could be even worse in the future.

We vaccinated our cat because it is the law and because we are traveling between countries... however, I strongly encourage people to question if a well-cared-for indoor cat really needs such vaccinations as rabies.

Vaccinations have always been a somewhat controversial subject, but having lived this nightmare, I can honestly say that I will think twice about certain vaccinations for cats.

Please click on my username and visit my website for more info about what happened with my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 7_Angel

I would strongly advise taking your cat's reactionZAAGTRrr to a vaccination very seriously (it sounds like you are), as future vaccinations or shots could lead to tragedy.

My beloved cat died 2 months ago because her body reacted so severely to a routine rabies vaccination - she went into anaphylactic shock after her vaccination had been administered... soon after we got home from the vet. Although we took her back to the vet immediately and they did all they could for her, her life could not be saved. I can't explain how much this loss hurts, but I hope others can learn from what happened to my kitty.

The symptoms that you listed to look for are correct. Be aware that a cat's reaction to a vaccination can start with one symptom like vomiting and quickly escalate to all symptoms like diarrhea, lethargy, hot ears, and drooling. My cat went downhill very fast. We didn't even know what was happening to her until she had a sudden onset of many symptoms.

She had thrown up once or twice after a vaccination in the past, but we assumed, and the vet assumed it was because she was anxious (although looking back, I do not believe that to be the case). If your cat is having reactions now... the reactions could be even worse in the future.

We vaccinated our cat because it is the law and because we are traveling between countries... however, I strongly encourage people to question if a well-cared-for indoor cat really needs such vaccinations as rabies.

Vaccinations have always been a somewhat controversial subject, but having lived this nightmare, I can honestly say that I will think twice about certain vaccinations for cats.

Please click on my username and visit my website for more info about what happened with my cat.
That's so awful. Thanks though for reminding us what can happen.

Did you kitty have reaction to the distemper? My kitten isn't large enough yet for a rabies shot. Apparently there's another booster for the distemper and then the rabies. Because of her reaction to the distemper, they said they won't do the shots together.

I noticed the big improvement with the steroid/benadryl shots before the vaccination, but as the benadryl wore off, she became more subdued. She was still a lot more active than the first shot, but remained sleepy the second day. By the third day she was normal.

The vet said that shot sensitivity can build the more often you give them, or for cats that have no problems, to suddenly develop them. And she suggested that if SImone still had a bad reaction, she may recommend no vaccination since she is entirely indoors.

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a good vet! I've heard that the cortisone shot before the vaccination can help minimize reactions. That's good advise on your vet's part too - that the kitten probably shouldn't get more vaccinations, especially since she is indoors.

I'm not sure if my cat had a reaction to the distemper shot or not... she usually had all her shots in one visit, so her previous reaction (little bit of vomiting) may have been from the distemper... I don't really know.

From what I understand, it isn't one specific kind of vaccination that causes a reaction... it can be any of them. Some may say that it is the adjuvants in the vaccination that cause a reaction (these are additives in the vaccination which are used to amp up the cat's immune system).

I spoke with a representative from the vaccine manufacturer, and they could not give me an answer as to what exactly causes an anaphylactic reaction. However, I got some stats about how frequently this happens... the average reaction is 1 in 2,500 administrations. But if your cat lives 15 years, and gets a vaccination every year, her risk over the course of her life is 1 in 167! Yikes! I think that is too high.

I'm so glad to hear that you are aware of the risks though (because I had no idea that this could even happen)... and I'm glad your vet is informed too.

It's important to remember that this could happen to any cat too - my kitty was 3 years old and in overall good health and she died from her reaction.

Best of luck to you and your little kitty!!