The Sokoke Cat

mlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any information about this mysterous "breed" of cat. I have been trying to do some research - as I have found a breeder who is selling kittens - but the information is limited at best.

I have found that some people believe this cats gene's are distinct from other cats - that is could be its own species - or a subspecies or hybrid of a wild feline.

The pictures of "wild" Sokoke's which I have seen look DRASTICALLY diffrent in type, body, and facial features from many cattery bred Sokokoe cats. Are the domestic Sokokoe's cats hybridnized with domestic breeds of cats? If so doesn't that dulute thier precious genetic material?

My question to anyone who knows this breed is - are these cats domestic or wild in nature? If they are a wild species of cat why isin't work being done to conserve them in thier native habitat? Why aren't people pushing to have this cat labled as its own species - an endangered species - which would qualify for protection under the law? Why aren't people working to re-release these cats back into protected lands?

I have also herd that there are fewer then 100 of these cats in existence - and only 30 breeding adults in the world. Is that enough of a gene pool to keep this cat healthy? If not will cross breeding be encouraged?

I am truley curious. I *MIGHT* be intrested in getting a (gasp) 5th cat as Suka my 6 month old ALC hybrid (F1) is VERY dependant upon the other cats (who are not so tolerant of his constant head butts and being fallowed around the house and cried at for attention) and I think he might need someone closer to his own age - who is tolerant of play - and young enough to "bond" to keep him company. In so many ways suka amazes me. He can be feral with humans (strangers) and even "flighty" around me but his tenderness with the other cats and depenence upon them and love for them is so touching. Sometimes I feel like he is a little orphaned lion cub looking to all the adult members of the "pride" for love and comfort....all too often he finds a hiss and a swat
. I feel sad for him.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mlynn

Anyone have any information about this mysterous "breed" of cat. I have been trying to do some research - as I have found a breeder who is selling kittens - but the information is limited at best.

I have found that some people believe this cats gene's are distinct from other cats - that is could be its own species - or a subspecies or hybrid of a wild feline.

The pictures of "wild" Sokoke's which I have seen look DRASTICALLY diffrent in type, body, and facial features from many cattery bred Sokokoe cats. Are the domestic Sokokoe's cats hybridnized with domestic breeds of cats? If so doesn't that dulute thier precious genetic material?

My question to anyone who knows this breed is - are these cats domestic or wild in nature? If they are a wild species of cat why isin't work being done to conserve them in thier native habitat? Why aren't people pushing to have this cat labled as its own species - an endangered species - which would qualify for protection under the law? Why aren't people working to re-release these cats back into protected lands?

I have also herd that there are fewer then 100 of these cats in existence - and only 30 breeding adults in the world. Is that enough of a gene pool to keep this cat healthy? If not will cross breeding be encouraged?

I am truley curious. I *MIGHT* be intrested in getting a (gasp) 5th cat as Suka my 6 month old ALC hybrid (F1) is VERY dependant upon the other cats (who are not so tolerant of his constant head butts and being fallowed around the house and cried at for attention) and I think he might need someone closer to his own age - who is tolerant of play - and young enough to "bond" to keep him company. In so many ways suka amazes me. He can be feral with humans (strangers) and even "flighty" around me but his tenderness with the other cats and depenence upon them and love for them is so touching. Sometimes I feel like he is a little orphaned lion cub looking to all the adult members of the "pride" for love and comfort....all too often he finds a hiss and a swat
. I feel sad for him.
I can't answer your questions about the Sokoke, but I have a breeder friend who deals with these cats. Her name is Susan, you may want to contact her.
http://www.aaliyahbengals.com/Sokokes.html

As for your F1, I would suggest you get another EG (foundation) bengal or even a SBT bengal. They will make the best companion for your F1.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting website and interesting cat. Reminds me of a moderate type of oriental (head/body) with a classic tabby pattern. From the info given, sounds to me like its a type of feral cat - not wild as in Asian Leopard cat, but isolated colony of ferals.

I don't think its a "missing link" in the classic tabby pattern per say. Just that the cats because of the gene pool being small, are found only in that pattern.

wildexpressions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I followed you link as well as some links from that site. Very interesting read. I'd be quite interested to see where DNA places it in the family.

Not a light under taking to breed animals with such a small gene pool. Emotionally it appeals to me but I know that I don't have the time, resources, or expertise to tackle something like that.

You will have to keep the forum updated if you choose to become involved.

Thanks for the post.