And, yet another "what breed for me?" thread...

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
As some of you may have perhaps read, I am looking at getting a kitten or cat in just a few weeks.

I went to visit two little handraised babies today and decided that they weren't for me. For some reason I have the feeling that I should be looking into purebred cats... If I can't find a suitable breeder though I'm just going to take it as a "not meant to be" thing, and go to the RSPCA and hopefully find a gorgeous cat there. After all, there are hundreds to choose from!

Okay, so now for the purebreds.

My ideal cat or kitten would be...

-Indoor only.
-Very much a lap cat, affectionate and loves to be held and cuddled.
-Playful, but more affectionately playful than hyper.
-Able to get along with dogs.

I have no preferences to do with looks. I really love the looks of all cats, but I do particularly like those with "fat faces" if that makes sense!

So, my first preference is a Japanese Bobtail, but there are no breeders here.

My other options:

Birman
Burmilla
Abyssinian
Burmese
Chinchilla
Persian
Ragdoll
Scottish Fold
Snowshoe
Siamese

Quite a long list really, so can anyone help me narrow it down?
Or even add to it if you want to make things interesting

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if you like 'fat faces', what about an exotic shorthair? [shorthaired persian].

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are looking to get a cat within a few weeks, you probably won't be able to find a breeder with available kittens. For many breeds, kittens are reserved months in advance -- if not years for some breeds!

You're doing the right thing by narrowing down what breed you want to have in your home first. Find the type of cat that suits your lifestyle best, and then search for a breeder that feels right to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mind exotic shorthairs but I took them off my list as I like some of the other breeds better.

I am aware that a lot of breeders reserve kittens far in advance, for this reason I'm looking mainly now at a mature cat.

Having said that, I have found several breeders so far that have "runts" available or kittens that haven't sold previously...

Thanks =]

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly where in Oz are you? I know a fantastic Aby breeder in Melbourne, know of a wonderful Burmese breeder in Sydney...I would get cats from either!

Oh and I'm sure missymotus knows of an excellent Oci breeder as well!

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in Brisbane... I'm happy to drive but Sydney and Melbourne are a bit far...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had you considered a Selkirk Rex? Curly haired cats are very much a 'love them or hate them' thing, but they fit your requirements - playful into adulthood but not hyper, enjoy a game of fetch, affectionate and people-loving, and they have round faces and a medium-large build. They come in longhair and shorthair, and their coats are very low maintenance, in fact too much grooming can be detrimental to the curl. British shorthair and exotic shorthair are used in shorthair breeding programmes, and Persian in the longhair variety - so that gives you some idea of the look and personality type. The look may not be your cup of tea, or you may think 'wow'!

I even managed to find an Australian web page about them for you

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/selkirk_rex.htm

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear that Brits shed terribly so would imagine that Scottish do too, just something to think about.

I'm unaware of any Snowshoe breeders over here

Many breeders will ship so they don't have to be in your state. My cats are Victorians (great for an SA-er
)

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-Indoor only.
-Very much a lap cat, affectionate and loves to be held and cuddled.
-Playful, but more affectionately playful than hyper.
-Able to get along with dogs.
You can take the "indoor only" requirement off because most breeders make you sign a contract that your kitty will be indoor only - so there's one requirement that is easy to take care of!

There was a good site that gives rundowns about cats and their average personality. But I have to say I have a Russian Blue and an Egyptian Mau and neither of them fit their breed personality.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Had you considered a Selkirk Rex? Curly haired cats are very much a 'love them or hate them' thing, but they fit your requirements - playful into adulthood but not hyper, enjoy a game of fetch, affectionate and people-loving, and they have round faces and a medium-large build. They come in longhair and shorthair, and their coats are very low maintenance, in fact too much grooming can be detrimental to the curl. British shorthair and exotic shorthair are used in shorthair breeding programmes, and Persian in the longhair variety - so that gives you some idea of the look and personality type. The look may not be your cup of tea, or you may think 'wow'!

I even managed to find an Australian web page about them for you

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/selkirk_rex.htm
Oh my GOSH! They are gorgeous!!!! I don't like my chances of finding a last minute breeder but they are just darling...
I'd love to start showing in the next few years and breed another few years after that... so I'm looking for perfect unusual breeds... And that one is adorable... Thank you!

I've heard back about one Birman boy seal point kitten, he's a bit older (not sure how old exactly) but he's won a few ribbons at the show so I think if I get him I'd love to keep showing...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tobi

Oh my GOSH! They are gorgeous!!!! I don't like my chances of finding a last minute breeder but they are just darling...
I'd love to start showing in the next few years and breed another few years after that... so I'm looking for perfect unusual breeds... And that one is adorable... Thank you!
You're welcome! They are too cobby for my taste as I do like angular cats, but all Rex breeds fascinate me. It might be worth contacting breeders or a breed club, as the breed is still very much in development there are variants from outcross matings and only 50% of the kittens from a show quality x show quality Selkirk mating will ever have show quality coats themselves due to the genetics of the breed. Not all of those will be kept back for use in breeding programmes - if you are looking for a pet and not for showing at the moment, then you may have luck finding a Selkirk with a less than perfect curly coat or a straight haired one.

If you were after show quality at the moment then the waiting list is bound to be longer! Because of that, if you are considering one for the future, then it might be worth making friends with breeders and/or joining a relevant cat club now, make your interest known at this point and get to know people in the right circles even if you'd not be looking to own one for a few years.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree, if you are thinking about showing later, you'd need to decide on what breed you want now and put yourself on a waiting list. That's what I did to get Charlie's future brother. On a waiting list for next year - cinnamon spotted Oci to show.

I know it can be a long wait sometimes, but in the end worth it. You can also look for a possible retired breeding cat that could be shown in the alter classes. Sometimes breeders retire a cat, but its still nice enough and young enough to go in the show ring as an alter

Check out the Retired Friends list:

http://www.breedlist.com/seekers.html

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the moment showing is just a thought. I expect to wait quite a while to find the perfect cat of the perfect breed to show =]

I'm visiting a Persian breeder on the weekend. I just called her and she seemed quite good. She said she has lots and lots of cats and kittens, but they're all varying in age and some have been reserved. She told me to come along and "let the cat pick me", and if it doesn't so be it!
This is exactly the sort of attitude I like in a breeder. I told her my interest in showing and she said that I sound like an ideal adopter!
So I'll go along on Saturday and see if any like me... I hope they do! She has some exotic shorthairs there too.

Edit: I just recieved an email from her with lots of pics!! They're gorgeous! I love knowing that if I get one I'll be able to have lots of photos from when they were teeny... yay!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be a little cautious about the "lots and lots" of kittens/cats. While she seems nice, she may be more of a byb type. Most good breeders only have one or two litters a year and have a waiting list.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
=] I understand the concern completely.

She assured me that she has a few different queens and all the cats are varying in age - and out of the lots that she has, she said only a few are available.
I did think about this though, and emailed another persian breeder in the area who I had spoken to previously and asked if she was a reputable breeder etc... she said that she had spoken to her previously many times and that she breeds very healthy kittens. She also tests for... mind blank... that liver disease that's common in persians =]

Tomorrow I'm visiting an 18 month old beautiful white longhair whose owner died of old age.
She might be what I'm looking for... who knows?
Keeping my options open

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a legit breeder then - if another breeder ok'd her. Believe me breeders know good and bad breeders and WILL tell you the truth most times

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I've been told

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore.
I've cancelled the visit.
I went to visit a cat today and am bringing her home next week.
Possibly a Turkish Van (The personality and markings etc match) but maybe just a lookalike.
Her elderly owner passed away and she was left without a home... She's gorgeous.
Have a look in my thread in the "what's new" bit and help me think of a name for her!!