Squishy finally going to the vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finally got Squishy's appt. set up to get spayed and declawed for next friday. I hope she doesn't go back in heat before then. She just went out so maybe she won't ever have to be miserable like that again. They said i have the option of getting her a Metacam shot. Is it recommended? I want her to be comfortable. I am just excited for her, she changes so much when she goes in heat and will be glad to have her normal kitty self back all the time

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is very painful to cats, the metacam would help with pain from the spaying as well. Is there any reason why she can't keep her toe tips? They make soft claws in pink... she might look cute in them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please reconsider the declawing. Declawing involves amputating their toes at the first joint. That's like if someone cut off your fingers at the first knuckle before your finger nail. It's very painful and cruel
In addition to that many declawed cats end up having litter box issues and take to peeing and pooping outside the litter box.

Just learn to clip their nails. It's not hard. And you can teach a cat to not scratch up your carpets and furniture through redirection. When you see her trying to scratch something she should be, go over and pick her up, tell her firmly "No!" and put her down by the scratch post. Hold her front legs and make a scratching movement on the scratch post. Give lots of praise when you see her using the post on her own.

I have 2 cats and neither of them have ever scratched the furniture or carpets. I just keep their nails well trimmed and provide them with safe scratching surfaces for them to do what comes naturally.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

Finally got Squishy's appt. set up to get spayed and declawed for next friday. I hope she doesn't go back in heat before then. She just went out so maybe she won't ever have to be miserable like that again. They said i have the option of getting her a Metacam shot. Is it recommended? I want her to be comfortable. I am just excited for her, she changes so much when she goes in heat and will be glad to have her normal kitty self back all the time
Awwww, why would you declaw the poor kitty? That is so sad.
Have you tried Soft Claws?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS is an anti-declawing site. You won't find anyone who won't be upset over you mutilating your kitty.

Please, Bea begs of you to never declaw. She is facing death because her owners mutilated her so. I am facing the heartbreak of all this work, for nothing.

Please, please, read this thread

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=Bea

This one as well, it details the issues I am now dealing with....that I fear we won't be able to overcome

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=Bea

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two cats who aren't declawed and have had no problems. They have two scratching posts, a turbo scratcher, and they also use their cat tree. If you have a cat that has been going in and out of heat she isn't a kitten anymore and older cats are even more likely to have behavior problems after declawing. The most common problems are with using the litter box because it is painful to use it right after declawing so they turn against it and with becoming biters because they feel vulnerable after losing their claws. One of my cats likes to knead on me and when his claws sharpen back up I know it and I just clip the sharp tips off the claws on both of them.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the spay but please, please, please don't declaw her. Claws are her defense if she gets outside besides being soooo painful!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have six cats and they all have their claws... and yes, there are a few pulled threads in our upholstery. Cats are living creatures who deserve to be loved as they are, not mutilated for our convenience.

I have an uncle who lost a leg over 60 years ago, and he still suffers constant "phantom pain" because of it. Please, read the threads mentioned above, learn more about what "declawing" really is, and don't do it to that precious little girl!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another please don't declaw post here. It's actually illegal in most countries outside North America. Please do some research before you make a decision.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO NO NO on the declaw! Spaying YES, Declawing NO - why are you considering declaw? She may start having problems that you will not like - e.g. refusing to use the litter pan and peeing in other places, biting more in defense, hiding more.

No reason to declaw - its mutilation. Its not removing the claw, its removing the first joint of the toe - like cutting your fingers off. Trimming nails, Soft Paw nail caps and a good treehouse is the answer to clawing problems - NOT declawing.

Please please reconsider and save your kitty's feet!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

I can tell that you care so much about Squishy's comfort and health. She's lucky to have such a caring human

Please keep in mind that declawing is a terribly painful procedure. It goes beyond discomfort, and Squishy may never be the same afterwards. A lot of cats experience personality changes, as well as developing bad behaviors - especially with the litterbox - afterwards. I can tell that you love her just the way it is, and allowing her to keep her claws will help her stay the little girl that you love.

There are many alternatives to declawing, and you'll find lots of help and support here. Please do your research, and I urge you to reconsider.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about declawing Kyra my dog's dewclaws for a second but reconsidered very quickly after reading all of the information that the vet provides. It is basically like a human having their fingers all amputated at the first nuckle.

I have never had a declawed cat and never plan on it. Sibohan has her nails cliped every 2-3 weeks depending on how much she's scratching on her post.

I came to the realization that if someone values their furniture more than the wellbeing of their pet... well to be honest they shouldn't have a pet

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you have your spay appointment set! I'm sure it will all go well for her!

I know how much you love her, please reconsider having her declawed.... even if she would go through it with no problems, why subject her to the pain and discomfort, as well as the general mutilation?

I have two cats that are declawed, when I got them 9 and 11 years ago, it was presented to me as an easy surgery and just what you did when you had a cat. I'm so sick that I ever did it
My 11 year old went through an extreme temperment change, and has never been the same since. She will and has bitten on several occasions. She does not like to be touched to this day. She was such a sweet kitten that used to sleep on my chest every night...

My 9 year old cat, is extremely timid and scared of just about everything, although she has no reason to be. Whether not that is due to the declaw, I don't know. But she did suffer nerve damage and walks with a limp, and any time at all she sits, she always holds one of her damaged paws up. She is so sweet, I just ask her for forgiveness everyday. I know that sounds silly, but after what I did to her, even though it was out of ignorance, she deserves that much.

I have 4 more cats that are not declawed. In addition, I do cat rescue and have multiple cats come and go and in the last year and a half, only one that I"ve taken in was already declawed. I have no problems clipping nails, and do it weekly. Even cats that I've taken in have learned to regard it as a positive experience with time and training. I don't have any destroyed furniture or drapes. They've all learned to use the scratching posts. Occassionally someone will latch onto the couch or a chair, and a simple clap of the hands is all it takes to get them off.

Please reconsider.

Best wishes on your spay appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you all think i am such a bad person. But squishy does use her scratching post. But the problem lie in the fact that she loves to run around the house. She loves to run full speed. What problem that causes is a trail of carpet snags everywhere she runs. I have clipped her nails and fought her getting bit and scratched to do it. So what would you like me to do start locking her in a cage so she cant run. Start hitting her because she wants to run. She never goes outside, she loves to play. I play with her all the time but she still likes to run her marathons and without locking her in a cage or smacking her (which i REFUSE to do either one) there is no way to stop her from running. And frankly i dont want to stop her. So now what do i do? Let her destroy an apartment that i do not own, that i will have to pay extra for when i move out. She will not let you clip the nails without a fight so therefore there is no way she will let you put on soft claws i have already considered it a ton. So you all can tell me how to fix it. You all want to be harsh and tell me i dont love her or am going to mutilate her how do i fix it so she can still be happy and run as fast as she can thru the house.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only hope & pray when she starts to urinate & deficate in your house you'll still love her. That you'll be willing to live with that & pay for any damages cause should you still rent.

Because I sit her sobbing....knowing what happened to Bea....that she could yet well DIE because someone mutilated her. That you are doing this to your baby.

Try Soft Paws. Please, I beg, please, pretty please....don't mutilate her.

Have you any idea the pain she'll be in? Have you any idea what the surgery is? Do you realize it'll be weeks, perhaps months before she can run again? That she'll never run in the same way because you are removing the joints of her feet? You say she bites when you clip her nails....what if she begins to bite all the time as so many declawed cats do?

Please, please, please.....read through Bea's threads. She was dumped not once, but twice. She doesn't really play, or walk, or jump. She will have severe "phantom pains" for life where her toes were. You've got to see her walk.....it's not normal for a kitty!

Status
Not open for further replies.