Help me understand

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two tiny kittens who were born in the outdoors, separated from their mother, and who probably started eating the food left out for them by some residents too early. Both were trapped and I was asked to pick them up. I had been working as a foster home for kittens (two summers ago) and so people tended to think they should call me for the many cats being trapped in our neighborhood. I had a virtual kitten adoption agency in my home that summer and my town had a nightmare of a problem with the numbers of stray cats.

First Boo came to me, then Peeka. They were not even one pound when I got them. Later I received two other brothers from that same litter who were, by the time I got them, feral. Long story short, these other two brothers didn't make it.

Since the agency I worked for had no place for Peeka and Boo, I got them neutered and adopted them myself. They had lots of health problems, digestive, for the first six months, and were constantly at the vet, then they were fine. I have/had one adult cat, a female calico, who never hurt them, but who never liked them. She doesn't like any other animal.

We all got along terrifically until they started itching to get outside, and my adult cat showed them how to break through the screens during the time I was away for two weeks. Later I built a small enclosure under my porch for them but they wanted to be outside of it.

I did let them out and kept a close eye on them as I had with other cats I've had, fed them three times a day to keep them close and constantly went out to call to them to which they would reply. Peek is a Siamese mix so he was naturally vocal and both of them had a return call to me each and every time I did call them. Things seemed to be going well for us.

Except that I have neighbors, two doors down. I could make a paper airplane and throw it into their yard with little effort; that is how close they are too me. This couple are admitted cat haters and unbeknownst to me they began setting traps in their yard. Peek was caught in November and I retrieved him from Animal Control. Afterwards, I let the neighbors know he was my cat and asked if they didn't know this (I know they did) and told them about the two young males who were mine. These are people I have spent time talking to face to face, and who know me by name.

Next, about two weeks later, Boo was trapped, and within a half hour I was looking for him in the neighbors' trap. It was not outside and so I came to learn they had been holding Boo inside their house, rather than calling me or Animal Control. I called the police, who instructed Animal Control to return him to me, but Animal Control instead took Boo, who I then retrieved during their working hours.

The neighbors told the officer they believed I "should have to pay" to have these animals, was one of their comments. So I made a road trip to look for housing in another state where there are not cat leash laws enabling people who hate cats and while I was gone and for weeks after I returned, my cats became indoor cats.

Only problem with that is they did escape. First Peeka got out and this time he didn't return. The silence is deafening. Boo, distraught and doing a lot of whining/crying, left me about eight days later. He got out the front door too; never to come back for the feedings he was always right there for. If it was over a minute past feeding time, Boo would always let me know.

I've contacted Home Again, and filed a report on lost pets, and done everything I know to try to find them, including checking Animal Control every other day, physically, myself. Also, I go out at night, around two or three in the morning, and during other late hours, and search in any hiding places within the park where they may go. If it is windy, I don't bother. I go when it is very quiet and call and listen for them.

Early on in Peeka's going outdoors experience, he would hide under a nearby home where I would find him. I'd call; he'd call back and slowly he would come out of hiding. Boo always seemed smarter, and just always stuck around close to the house, like my older cat does.

I'm so sick I cannot eat and am losing quite a bit of sleep. Peek has been gone since the 2nd of Feb. Some of the things I am trying to come to terms with is why they left, and, of course, what may have happened to them. This is reminding me of how some types of young male felines in the wild leave their group when they reach a certain age. Or perhaps they simply couldn't live being inside all day. Or did someone manage to abduct them... I did give them quite a bit of attention. They were my constant companions and also had each other.

I used to post about them here back when they were kittens and thought I learned a lot about cats. Now I am looking for any insight that might help me find them by understanding something I may be missing about feline behavior. They are a little over a year and a half, both male and were healthy neutered cats. They did start out somewhat wild but very young. If they are still alive, is there any chance they will come back home after this length of time, and of course, if they are not captive somewhere.

I've been leaving articles of my clothing, and litter from their box, and food and water, outside. Something is eating it if it's not my own cat binging. I leave a window open all the time now. I still call them constantly. What else should I be doing?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have they been missing this time?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why they left is because they're cats. It's what they do if they have a chance (and are so inclined). Don't beat yourself up though - they're probably eating turkey in some nice old people's house or something and will manage just fine. The thing is, maybe let it be a lesson (I know - hateful, especially now) to just keep your friends inside and be really scrupulous about not letting them out. I've done it for 40 yrs and while there have been a couple (and no more) of escapes - lots of cats though - I was very lucky about catching them, but know I couldn't stand it if they'd just gone so I've been that careful. Try to be philosophical - remember how resourceful they can be and think of the nice couple who are probably taking good care of them... you do need to get over it sometime or you won't be much good to the next ones you adopt (and take good care of)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

How long have they been missing this time?
Peek has been gone two weeks exactly, today. Boo, eight days short of that. Previously I had not been missing them for even a matter of hours, except when they were both trapped. Then, they were away from me for one day and three, respectively. But when that happened, I learned what had happened to them quickly.

The time Peek was trapped I was alerted by the park manager that she'd seen Animal Control here and that my neighbor had been trapping cats. So I was quickly able to retrieve him. When they trapped Boo, they deliberately kept him inside their house, I guess so I couldn't release him.

I should also add I am going today to get sensors for my yard so if they show up around here I will get an alert.

mighty lil milo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you checked with ALL your neighbors even the "cat Haters' perhaps they did something with them or have them in their house again??? I would just use word of mouth and tell everyone I knew to keep their eyes pealed!! How sad! I hope you find your kitties!! Also, I know some animals, cats, dogs, etc... don't like it when their owners leave, they get lonely... so perhaps that was a reason they would try to get out. I hope they are okay, wherever they are!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would put up fliers around the area. describing what they look like with photos if you have them and how to reach you.
Also, knock your neighbors doors to alert them about the cats and leave fliers with them.
You might even consider offering a small reward for their return.

I would notify all vets in your area and call all shelters daily.

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mighty Lil Milo

Have you checked with ALL your neighbors even the "cat Haters' perhaps they did something with them or have them in their house again??? I would just use word of mouth and tell everyone I knew to keep their eyes pealed!! How sad! I hope you find your kitties!! Also, I know some animals, cats, dogs, etc... don't like it when their owners leave, they get lonely... so perhaps that was a reason they would try to get out. I hope they are okay, wherever they are!!!
I don't speak with the cat haters but I've asked our park manager to do so and they claim they haven't trapped lately.

I've been home for a month or so since I left and the woman who was looking after them and feeding them while I was away told me they were very content. In fact, they seemed pretty content to be inside for quite awhile, which surprised me. They weren't trying to escape or making any bold moves toward the door when we came in and went out.

One reason I suspect they may be close is Boo's leaving. I'm thinking maybe he left to be with his brother, maybe he could smell him nearby? Or, maybe it's true, it's just what they do, they run away to find a new home.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik

One reason I suspect they may be close is Boo's leaving. I'm thinking maybe he left to be with his brother, maybe he could smell him nearby? Or, maybe it's true, it's just what they do, they run away to find a new home.
You might be right...
they could be near by.
I would not give up.
Put out those fliers.

Sending vibes that your kitties are returned to you.

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I would put up fliers around the area. describing what they look like with photos if you have them and how to reach you.
Also, knock your neighbors doors to alert them about the cats and leave fliers with them.
You might even consider offering a small reward for their return.

I would notify all vets in your area and call all shelters daily.
Yes. I'm going to ask the park management to put out a notice with the rent bills this month, for one. Home Again offers an updated subscription, which I did, to notify all the vets. But I will start doing this myself. I've put up flyers and I will be, now that you mention it, walking around to knock on doors. Tomorrow, Sunday, should be a good day to do that. Have offered reward.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they turn up my Sisters Cat went missing the first week of Dec 2006 and he came back on Jan 22 2007. We thought he was gone for good. She went to the Pound every day and put Signs. There was a few calls saying he had been seen. Her bday is Jan 21 so it was great he turned up the day after her Bday.

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope they turn up my Sisters Cat went missing the first week of Dec 2006 and he came back on Jan 22 2007. We thought he was gone for good. She went to the Pound every day and put Signs. There was a few calls saying he had been seen. Her bday is Jan 21 so it was great he turned up the day after her Bday.
Very encouraging, thank you!

(Will check in later for any other comments--am going out now to purchase some kind of outdoor alarm system.)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik

Very encouraging, thank you!

(Will check in later for any other comments--am going out now to purchase some kind of outdoor alarm system.)
Do you think that an alarm would scare them off or would it be inside so they would not hear it?

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Do you think that an alarm would scare them off or would it be inside so they would not hear it?
I want the alarm to ring inside my house if any animals are nearby. I'm pretty sure these are available at Lowes--I knew a friend who used them for security's sake, and animals set them off all the time. I want to set mine low so animals DO set them off. This way I will know who is coming over to eat at night.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried setting traps out yourself? I had to catch my Himmie that way. He had been outside supervised but something spooked him and he ran behind a brick wall and wouldn't come out. I did know where he was, but I had to leave a trap out and get him that way, overnight.

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Have you tried setting traps out yourself? I had to catch my Himmie that way. He had been outside supervised but something spooked him and he ran behind a brick wall and wouldn't come out. I did know where he was, but I had to leave a trap out and get him that way, overnight.
I would like some opinions on this. Would they go IN a trap now that they've been trapped? I can borrow the park's traps now and try it; perhaps I should. I'm just not sure that this wouldn't spook them off...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat leave home for a month once, and then just wandered back up like he had never been gone. He stayed around for awhile, then disappeared again. He had gone to live with a lady a block over, who was terrified that someone would come and take him away, since he was obviously a pet. They were both happy, so I left him with her. I had him for 7 years, and he never seemed to like me very much, but he was crazy about this lady.
I hope your kitties return safely to you soon. Please try to take better care of yourself. It will not do any of you any good to make yourself physically ill from worry. I know it is easier said than done, but please try.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bad feeling about those neighbors and their belief that you have to "pay". Put up as many fliers as you can, don't forget to include the information that they're neutered and microchipped - it may get you sympathy if someone knows a devoted pet owner has lost their cats or maybe someone will go get them scanned if they've been keeping them.
Go outside the immediate area, someone could have picked them up and rehomed them with a friend.

If the neighbors have done something maybe someone seen or heard about it. The bad feeling comes from how people here would deal a cat here... they'd dump a cat near a farm or on the side of a country road.

vik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boo came home this morning!
He is the one who left second.

Not a lot of neighbors were home today and the ones who were haven't seen him. Nothing yet.

Thanks for all the understanding and support. This is Not the most cat friendly town but that is another story. I do call right outside those neighbors' windows and listen for Peek to return my call.

So, I have one back. Boo's pretty clingy and vocal, but he was like that since Peeka left, and before he himself ran off for a week.

These two will be the death of me but I adore them.