Washing cats bowl in dishwasher?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it safe to wash a hard plastic and stainless steel bowl the cats use for food/water in the dishwasher?

#1- dont know if the soap is harmful
#2- dont know if it's harmful to people to do so

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Should be fine. I wash both plastic bowls and stainless steel kitchen implements in the dishwasher.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use plastic bowls, but I've always put the glass, china and stainless steel ones in the dishwasher, and the plastic parts of the Petmate Fresh Flow, too.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats' bowls are a mix of ceramic, stainless steel and plastic, and I always put them in the dishwasher. I think it is the only way to make sure they are hygienic. And they go in with other dishes. All cat dishes are only used once before being washed and I rinse them out as I do all plates.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine are dishwasher safe so I would...except I don't have a dishwasher lmao.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting question....

I wash my kitties Corelle food & water bowls in the dish washer once a week but I rinse them off before I use them to get rid of any residual chemicals.

The rest of the week, I hand wash them twice a day, when they have their wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok cool, glad to know I can wash them. Just to be sure after they are washed i'll run them under warm water just to make sure I get any excess soap off.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, if you put your own dishes in there and eat off them after being cleaned, why would you think its not ok for the pet bowls

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sure, if you put your own dishes in there and eat off them after being cleaned, why would you think its not ok for the pet bowls
I have a very sensitive nose, I can smell a faint soap/watersofter scent after my dishes have been washed in the dishwasher.
Along with my cat's bowls, I rinse most of my own dishes, then put them back into the dishwasher for drying.
That's no biggie.

If I can smell a scent, I have no doubt that cats really notice it.
Those chemicals cannot be good for their small bodies.

A couple other comments...
Plastic bowls are known to cause acne on cat's chins.
Apparently, over time, plastic can get microscopic scratches where bacteria hide.
A cat, after multiple exposures to the bacteria, eventually can develop a very irritating acne.

Be vigilant when buying ceramic bowls...
lead has become a major issue in these because most are imported from China.

Most experts recommend stainless steel for safety reasons.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Be vigilant when buying ceramic bowls...
lead has become a major issue in these because most are imported from China.
I didn't know that! I'm starting to get very annoyed with China ...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Corelle dishes for the dog and cats. But I have one cute set of ceramic ones for Ling. I'll have to check and see if it says "made in China" - may switch Ling's bowl to Corelle too

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the small Corelle bowls. They are inexpensive at WalMart.
On the back is printed "made in the USA."

They wash and dry easily but I still keep a close eye on them for cracks...
never had one yet.

Years ago Corning had a problem with lead in their Corelle glaze, that was resolved.

You can never be to careful.
Our cat bodies are small compared to human bodies...
toxins of any kind will would be more devastating to them.

Although they are cute, I would never buy pet dishes at a WalMart, PetCo type store.
Large amounts of lead was recently discovered in many of those dishes.

I would just rather be safe than sorry.

Below is a link with some info about this...

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/china

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Corelle dessert bowls, and have several bowls by this company: http://www.petrageousdesigns.com/ They are certified "pet safe" as far as lead goes. I also have some by Signature Housewares, which also has a safety statement on their site. When we lived in Iowa, I shopped at Gordman's a lot.
They had a lot of cute pet bowls for discount prices, which is where I found them. I think if you are careful, you can still buy "pet themed" bowls. Just make sure it's a reputable company.
When all of the recalls of toys came out, I checked into these 2 companies because I was concerned for my cats.

I also make sure that if a glaze cracks I toss the bowl. I do the same for my own dishes.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use stainless steel bowls & flat ceramic dishes for both Mattie & Chloe. They are only used for one feeding before going in the dishwasher (so I go through 4 bowls a day usually). This is mostly for Matilda's acne, but out of habit I switch them for Chloe too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got about 1 dozen stainless steel bowls at the dollar store.
They go in the dishwasher after every use and that's why I have lots of them.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you also get a stainless steel water and food bowls are they the same? or do i have to get a special water bowl,i use plastic now and after reading about acne im going to toss them.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Racn1320

Can you also get a stainless steel water and food bowls are they the same? or do i have to get a special water bowl,i use plastic now and after reading about acne im going to toss them.
Yep...toss the plastic.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Yep...toss the plastic.
thx im going to get them today,I guess either or work for both food and water? Guess they are the same bowls at petco?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Racn1320

thx im going to get them today,I guess either or work for both food and water? Guess they are the same bowls at pet co?
You don't have to get bowls specifically made for pets..
even a Target or Wal Mart has small stainless steel bowls I think.
Food and water bowls are interchangeable.
They need to be wide enough so that it is is easy for a cat's whiskers to fit, without touching the sides, when they eat or drink .

Yosemite in an earlier post mentioned that she got her stainless bowls at a dollar store.

Let us know what you get.