Our first argument in over a year

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
**Sigh** I am not proud or happy about it but me and the husband got into out first argument in over a year. I know it all is stress related between whats going on with my sister and our son's new eating habit. But mainly the argument had to do with my sister and whether or not I should testify or not. And it all happened at his work.

See once the boys got home from school I went up there to talk him plus "try" to pick up a few things for my son to eat. And it was real slow in his dept and it was 30 mins before clock out time and he had nothing to do so we just talked. And as we talked about my sister and what to do he said 2 things that really set me off. One that he could not switch his days off and that if he missed that day it was unexcused. And that I would have to figure something else out blah blah blah. This ticked me off because if he had just wanted to lay out of work or go to the next town over he would have called in sick or used my family as an excuse. I asked could this not be considered a family emergency. And he said no its still unexcused and he needed 30 days notice to get off. Well things like this come up with no warning. And my mom has already expressed she really wants me there as support because basically she is doing all on her own. And I want to be there to try and help.

The second thing he said was if I did this I was truly giving my sister a reason to hate me and that she may never get over this. And that this may be the nail in her coffin if we all go in and do this. He also said that if it was his sister he would not want her to die hating him so he would not do this to her. At this point I asked when he was getting off work and that I would meet him in the back of the store at his clock out time and walked away.

So he clocks out and we are walking to check out and he asked me was I upset. Of course I said yes but I was not going to talk about this in the middle of the store. So we get outside to my car and I can not hold it in and let it rip outside. Basically I told him I would rather my sister die hating me because I tried to help her oppose to her dieing and me living with the guilty that I could have helped her but didn't because I didn't want her to hate me.When I went through drug addiction myself I had no one not even family trying to make me stop not even family. And until I met my husband I had no support to quit. And that I was going to try and help. And I jumped on him because if he had just wanted to drive to the next town over he would have called in but because I am ding something he would not do he is being an butt about it. I also told him in the end I need his support on this no matter what I choose to do even if he does not agree. This is all hard enough on me but is worse when you have no support.

In the end tho things were better and still are this morning. I don't know if he will work to get that day off or not. But at least we are not arguing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you have so much stress in your life.

I'm not familiar with any of the situations you have mentioned IE: your son's new diet habits and your sister's problem.

But why can't you go to see your Mom on your own? Why does your husband have to go with you? Not all jobs give time off on a whim for family matters unless it's a death. It's quite possible that he can't get the time off without asking a set number of days in a week.

Talk to him and find out how he feels about you going there for a week by yourself. It sounds like you both have some tension and stress and maybe the few days apart will do both of you some good

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sisters issue is she is a meth addict and the state has taken my niece away from her and my mom needs me there to more or less testify on my niece's behalf and plead for my sister to get help. I am not asking for a week just one day to go do this. I mean if he just wanted to lay out of work for any reason he has no problem calling in and using my family as an excuse. So why can't he support me in this now. If I had other family to watch my kids that day or a sitter this would not even be an issue but I don't have that.

As for my son's new eating habits check out the Celiac thread.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda's right, I understand that many people prefer to show up as a couple, however I look at it this way: It's your sister, not his...so he probably doesn't have a lot of empathy for her. He did for you when you broke your habit, but that's because he loved you. from what you described (and not knowing more), this sounds like something that members of your family has decided to do. Without knowing the extent of the addiction he also may not want to live through breaking someone else's habit again.

In addition to what Linda said concerning work, perhaps his boss has warned him about calling in and has put some form of leash on him, possibly threatening his job. However that's just a guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never asked him to go with me. I just need him to watch the kids so I can go.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your children have friends at school? or any close friends at all to play with? because if so couldnt you ask their mothers to mind him for the day??

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I never asked him to go with me. I just need him to watch the kids so I can go.
Oops! My bad
I thought you were looking for moral support while at the courthouse.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Oops! My bad
I thought you were looking for moral support while at the courthouse.
Ditto.

I agree about their friends. If they have friends whose houses they play at periodically, check with their parents and explain the situation. See if they would be willing to take your kids for a day or two.