needing advice regarding new jobs..

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, last week we finally booked the flight tickets, we will be going back to Australia on the 23rd of September. Preperations for the move are nearly finished but I need to start preparing what will come ahead of me.
I would need to find a job as soon as I get there.
My visa has already been processed and accepted, I just dont know where and when to start looking.

I just signed up with a website and just filled out my resume.

I just dont know if i can start looking for work now or if i should wait for closer to the date or just wait compleely untill i get there.

I know a lot of you are really experienced in this area as i've watched some of you move accross states and started new. I just need some opinions and advice because currently I'm so worried and nervous that i've already lost appetite in the past week.

Thanks for listening

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will you and your fiancee be going there together or will one of you get there ahead of time to set things up?

If you're going separately I would start as soon as you have your phone line installed and you know the number.

If you're going together, I would begin submitting resumes as two - four weeks before going. I'm not sure of the economy in Australia, however it gives ample time to begin advertising your resume.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Will you and your fiancee be going there together or will one of you get there ahead of time to set things up?

If you're going separately I would start as soon as you have your phone line installed and you know the number.

If you're going together, I would begin submitting resumes as two - four weeks before going. I'm not sure of the economy in Australia, however it gives ample time to begin advertising your resume.
We will be going back together
He already has his job in Australia, he is going back to it when we return, the thing is though it doesnt provide for two!
We will be staying at his parents house untill we get our own and we willl be able to use their phone number.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As your move date gets closer, see if his parents can start talking to their friends and other family members in the area for a job. Also have him drop the line to his new job to see if they can network your name around...maybe not for the same company, but his HR person may know of someone who knows of someone, etc.

The more people you get with their ears to the ground for jobs for you the better your chances.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can any places that you work give you letters of recommdations??
Are you just looking for any job or a more specific field?? Can you check out craigslist for possible opportunities???

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've already looked online at airline sites as we will be living very near to the airport, about 10 - 15 minutes away, I cant be a Stuardess because I am so small but i have been looking into "that area" for a long time now.
I guess I will have to wait untill i get there, because all of the online jobs want someone with a qualification even though i have alot of experience in some areas.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't be a stewardess because you're too small? My sister is one and she's borderlining the height limit at 5'11. Perhaps the height restriction is different in Australia than the U.S, cause as far as I know there's hardly a limit on being small, but more on being tall. I've had stewardesses climb onto seats to get stuff from the overhead...

Can you do ticket sales?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

You can't be a stewardess because you're too small? My sister is one and she's borderlining the height limit at 5'11. Perhaps the height restriction is different in Australia than the U.S, cause as far as I know there's hardly a limit on being small, but more on being tall. I've had stewardesses climb onto seats to get stuff from the overhead...

Can you do ticket sales?
The U.S. doesn't allow airlines to discriminate because of age, height, weight, etc., but other countries do.

Security would be an idea, Fran. How about duty free shops?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look into the duty free shops i just hope its not like frankfurt airport, I was really upset on friday because the girls who i barely know were backstabbing me.

Germany is very bad for discriminating age.
Im actually 5'1, I have lots of Lufthansa clients and they have all given me tips.

I suppose i will have to wait untill it gets closer to the date, and probably apply everywhere as soon as i arrive.