My Sisters Rat has a Lump

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her Rat Oscar has a Lump on his breast. He had a lump in his neck a year ago taht had to be removed. She is scared right now and said she will call the Vet in the A.M. She has 2 Cats and a G Pig too. I hope its something easy to get rid of and not a tumor.

hank_n_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww. I hope its not a tumor, it most likely is though. Rats have been so inbred and bred badly they are very very prone to cancer and other diseases. There are tons of vibes coming her way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,I hope it isnt a Tumor or Cancer either. The one in his nexk was a Cyst but that was over a year ago and it was removed.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's true rats and mice are so inbred that even some with the best of care get cancer or other illnesses. There are vets who actually can spay/neuter a rat, but you still have to pay quite a bit of money.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is one of the unfortunate things about having pet rats. I had one that had a lump on her side that was removed by a vet.. she went on to live about 6 more months (she was already a couple of years old. I hope that your sisters rat will be ok.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Vet wasnt there today so she will call Monday. The last Lump was in his Neck and was a Cyst. I have heard they get Cancer and tumors easy too. Last time it cost 200 to have it removed. The Vet told her she is one of a few people that takes her Rat to a Vet. He is about 1.5 Years old. Thanks for caring about him.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard [although I don't know there's a ton of research] that spaying and neutering them can help decrease the risk of them developing tumors. Unfortunatley, it's just a fact of life for rats to get growths, but even if it is a tumor maybe it's one that can easily be removed.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Vet didnt want to fix him. They said its complicated in Rats. I will have to ask my Sister the reason why. He is a Blue Rat. I guess we will see what happens on Monday. She will be very upset if its bad.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww im sending lots of your way!

Its is true that fixing a rat decreases the chance of tumors but it doesnt stop it entirely

If it is a Tumor.. I hope its not Cancerous.. if it is, even when removed there isnt much the vets can do... if it isnt than thats a really good thing.
Is the lump on his upper or lower breast area?? ((closer to his chest or closer to his lower stomach?))

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope it is nothing serious.It may be an abcess as well.
I have rats and have had a few back in the day that got abcesses.While tumors are very common in female rats,they are not as common (but are possible) in males.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sister said its his on his sternum. I have not seen it . The last Lump was on his neck and it was huge. It was removed at age 7 Months. I will ask her to take a Pic of it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww I hope the rattie is ok! I love blue rats, they're my favorite... Unfortunately cancer is very common in rats. I had a Russian Blue rex rat who had a mammary tumor. It was also $200 to remove it, and when she was a 'senior' she developed another smaller one. I will definitely be getting my next female rat(s) spayed.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention.. its not that expensive to get a Rat fixed (($30-$70 at the most.. if anyone charges more than there ripping you off))... its finding a decent Vet that will do it thats the hard part.
Im still looking for a Vet that I approve of to fix my Male Rat.
Ive owned Rats for a couple Yrs but ive never had problems with Tumors or Cyst... I hope your Sisters Ratty does ok.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I had Rats when I was a Kid and never had one with a tumor either. I talked to my friend that used to be a Breeder and she said never had one with one either I do not know how much they charge at her Vet to fix a male Rat. It was 200 to remove the lump in his neck when he was 7 Months. My Albino Rat died from old age. She lived longer then the Average age too. I never had a rat after her which was over 25 Years ago.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet quoted me $200 to spay a rat which is why I didn't get my two spayed. I know it is definitely more expensive than $70 in my area at other vets as well, according to what I have heard it is usually way over $100.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

I forgot to mention.. its not that expensive to get a Rat fixed (($30-$70 at the most.. if anyone charges more than there ripping you off))... its finding a decent Vet that will do it thats the hard part.
Our vet will charge the same as cats and dogs.It is about $100-something for male rats and $200-something for a female rat.Considering this and the risks,I opt out and do not spay/neuter my rats.

Originally Posted by mews2much

The Vet is tomorrow at 12:10.
Good luck!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Eeeek keep us updated! I hope the vet visit goes well and that whatever it is is treatable!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
My sister didnt sleep all night and is scared.
She will call and tell me what they say.
Its in 1 Hour.