Will they ever get along?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duke and Tonka are STILL holed up in the bathroom after almost 2 weeks of having Dakota

They love Jake but are not tolerating Dakota.
They have food, litterbox and water in there but they just refuse to come withen 20 feet of Dakota.
He does bark at them but he's just wanting to play.

Any suggestions?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you put Dakota in a down/stay & let the kitties see him?

I suggest crating Dakota, let the cats come out so they can get close without harm for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Can you put Dakota in a down/stay & let the kitties see him?

I suggest crating Dakota, let the cats come out so they can get close without harm for sure.
Dakota still has some behavior issues that I'm working on. He's learned "no" and "sit" but we're working on stay

When I'm not home, he goes in his crate so the kits can roam without him bothering them.

I just feel so bad for Tonka and Duke..
They're terrified of him

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, he's probably what....2x the size of Jake? And he wants to play...which in there minds equals "doggie wants to eat me".

Can you try some Feliway?
Are they coming out at all?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, he's probably what....2x the size of Jake? And he wants to play...which in there minds equals "doggie wants to eat me".

Can you try some Feliway?
Are they coming out at all?
He is 2x Jake's size

I have the Feliway diffuser and it doesn't seem to work

When Dakota is sleeping, Duke will come out, wander down the hall, and slowly walk into the kitchen. As soon as Kota moves, he runs like a bat out of hell into the bathroom or my room and bunker down.

Tonka won't even come out into the living room. He will slink into my bedroom closet and meatloaf there for a bit, then back into the bathroom.
He came out into the living room once when Justice was out here and the dogs were in my room with me sleeping. As soon as he heard Kota, he took off.
I watch him more closely around Kota then Duke, simply because he's de-clawed (not by me) and can't defend himself.
Duke has put Kota in his place a time or two and Kota runs away

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
See...when it comes to dogs, and bringing a new one in, I don't allow the new dog to 'take over' the new house, especially where the previous cats, or other dogs are concerned. The new dog is crated when I can't watch him, and on a lead until I KNOW he can be trusted with my cats, and other dogs; most dogs that I bring in, also need necessary obedience training as well...which, it sounds like yours does too; keeping the dog on a lead gives me more time to work with him closely each day. I learn his 'problem areas' sooner, and thus can resolve them sooner too.

Your dog, being a husky, 'may or may not' want to play; they have a very high prey drive...all those cats have to do is run from him and he probably would chase them.

Instead of simply letting Dakota 'rule' the roost, even while you are home, you need to keep him on a lead, or crated; your cats lived in your home first, and he needs to learn that...they 'dominate' him-feed your cats first, play with them first, etc...this puts them 'higher' in the pack than Dakota, so to speak, not the other way around. Dogs NEED structure and hierarchy...cats, aren't 'pack animals', so they don't require set boundaries like a dog does.

If he is on a lead, your cats will be more comfortable venturing back out into their home; and you will be able to control the dog immediately. When he doesn't obey a stay, you can correct him immediately...not set him up for failure, by allowing the opportunity for him to scare the cats away by getting up from the position you have asked him to stay in.

http://www.sspca.org/Dogs/TANSTAAFL.html

Long, but has a lot of good info...
http://www.greytinspirations.com/tip...gs-to-cats.asp

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

See...when it comes to dogs, and bringing a new one in, I don't allow the new dog to 'take over' the new house, especially where the previous cats, or other dogs are concerned. The new dog is crated when I can't watch him, and on a lead until I KNOW he can be trusted with my cats, and other dogs; most dogs that I bring in, also need necessary obedience training as well...which, it sounds like yours does too; keeping the dog on a lead gives me more time to work with him closely each day. I learn his 'problem areas' sooner, and thus can resolve them sooner too.

Your dog, being a husky, 'may or may not' want to play; they have a very high prey drive...all those cats have to do is run from him and he probably would chase them.

Instead of simply letting Dakota 'rule' the roost, even while you are home, you need to keep him on a lead, or crated; your cats lived in your home first, and he needs to learn that...they 'dominate' him-feed your cats first, play with them first, etc...this puts them 'higher' in the pack than Dakota, so to speak, not the other way around. Dogs NEED structure and hierarchy...cats, aren't 'pack animals', so they don't require set boundaries like a dog does.

If he is on a lead, your cats will be more comfortable venturing back out into their home; and you will be able to control the dog immediately. When he doesn't obey a stay, you can correct him immediately...not set him up for failure, by allowing the opportunity for him to scare the cats away by getting up from the position you have asked him to stay in.

http://www.sspca.org/Dogs/TANSTAAFL.html

Long, but has a lot of good info...
http://www.greytinspirations.com/tip...gs-to-cats.asp
Thanks!
Kota was in my room laying down with my son and Duke came out of the bathroom. Duke seen Kota, and Kota seen Duke. Kota popped his head up and I said "Dakota, no kitty", he laid his back down.

Duke walked back in the bathroom and perched on the back of the toilet.
Kota came out in the living room and laid down

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good! He does listen....somewhat.

I think that once Duke gets more comfortable around Dakota, Tonka will follow suit.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good! He does listen....somewhat.

I think that once Duke gets more comfortable around Dakota, Tonka will follow suit.
I really hope so!

I was told Kota was surrendered because his owners couldn't afford to feed him.
He was under 30lbs when AC took custody
He was 48 when I got him 2 weeks ago, and now weighs around 52. But he's still soooo skinny

His hip bones protrude and his waist is tiny. He's slowly gaining weight (Thanks to the kids feeding him
)
I think it's just gonna take alot of time and discipline

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I really hope so!

I was told Kota was surrendered because his owners couldn't afford to feed him.
He was under 30lbs when AC took custody
He was 48 when I got him 2 weeks ago, and now weighs around 52. But he's still soooo skinny

His hip bones protrude and his waist is tiny. He's slowly gaining weight (Thanks to the kids feeding him
)
I think it's just gonna take alot of time and discipline
Awww!! Poor guy
I am glad he is putting some weight on though!!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good food will get that weight back on, or atleast most of it; he is an active type dog, though, so don't be too surprised if he doesn't stay 'slimmer' than you are used too

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Good food will get that weight back on, or atleast most of it; he is an active type dog, though, so don't be too surprised if he doesn't stay 'slimmer' than you are used too
Yeah he's very hyper! He bounces off the walls... Literally

I thought Jake was hyper until I got Kota!

Sometimes I have to separate them so Jake can have some "down time"

Btw, Last night, Kota was in the bed with Jake and I (as usual) and around 3 am Duke came into bed with me too!

He was "Kneading dough" on my boob!
He stayed in bed with me for a couple hours without him running from Kota or Kota even noticing!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeeze, poor Kota! Bless you for taking him in!

Two weeks isn't very long when it comes to cat and dog introductions. It sounds like Kota needs your help to learn how to be a good dog AND Duke and Tonka need mroe time to figure out how to deal with a hyper dog. For now I think I'd unplug the Feliway since it probably isn't making a dent in what is going through their minds when the see or smell Kota.
Good luck!