Kitty Litter stuck in paw

james

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My 13 year old domestic short hair, Kitkat, has had a recent problem with clumps of kitty litter getting stuck in one of his paws (but not the other three.) I think he is stepping in the kitty litter after he urinates and it is getting caked onto his pads. He seems to be in a lot of pain when I try to remove it and I obviously don't want to leave it in there.

I use 'Tidy Cat Scoop for Multiple Cats (clumping)' kitty litter.

Is there anyway I can prevent this and is there a painless way to remove the kitty litter?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he will let you, soak the paw in warm water. If not warm water compress then comb it out.

OOPS just noticed you're new!

Welcome to TCS!
Hope you have fun in here!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend not using clump litter. Some kitties simply have this habit.
Yeah, I just looked at your picture again and that does look painful! Cats are general obsessive self cleaners sop this has to be uncomfortable for him! Definitely change from clump litter ASAP!
Oh yeah, welcome to TCS!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider Feline Pine pellets for litter. When wet they break down into sawdust. Be sure to following their instructions for switching litters.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

You might want to consider Feline Pine pellets for litter. When wet they break down into sawdust. Be sure to following their instructions for switching litters.
Or a wheat litter? Stan occasionally gets litter stuck in his paw fur, but not that badly.

I would also try the warm water soak (or a warm damp washcloth) to soften it. (that is if your kitty is patient enough to let you do that
)

Welcome to TCS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

james

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm going to change the cat litter and see how that works out.

Thanks again.