poopy bottom Kitty

ladysoul1710tig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome!
My guy and I
adopted Carmello at the beginning of the year. He has my bf who is home all day to play with.He eats just fine. We got him from my sister in law who was forced to keep him in the basement of her new apartment since the landlord didn't want him there. Carmello almost ALWAYS has large chunks of poop encrusted in the fur under his bum. We
love
Carmello and want to pick him up and let him sit on the couch yet this is almost impossible since his bum is nasty. Is there anyway to teach him to clean his bum more often? Other than that the only other thing to do is to clean it myself everyday (just kinda don't want to do that). Once we used the clippers and cut the fur around his bum and that worked for a bit but I am not sure that people shave their cats booties. What else can I do?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'd be surprised how many folks shave their kitties' butts, especially long hair kitties.

If you can do it yourself, great, if not get a groomer to do it. Even our Bijou who is short-haired occasionally has a "will-not".

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Jasmine gets a shower about 2-3 days a week because she does not clean her bottom eithor. When i adopted her, she was morbidly obease- pushing close to 30lbs.

She is now down to 15lbs!!!
BUT as a result of being soo large in the first place- she never learned how to properly groom her bottom- she was also declawed by her previous owners (claws help them "comb" thorugh the fur and keep themselves clean) so she never learned proper grooming behaviors. She has been around my other kitties enough to learn- and she does try to clean her bottom but she can not reach too well so as a result she gets dirty easily.

So, several times a week- when i get ready to take a shower- i just take her in the shower with me and wash off her bottom. She doesn not seem to mind as she is used to it by now- and keeping her clean helps prevent dirt and debris from getting into her system and causing UTI's and other infections. In between her showers, i use baby wipes to keep her bum clean. That helps a lot!

I understand how frusterating it is.
But hang in there- the shower thing is really easy to keep them clean once they get used to it. She does exceptionally well! Yours might too!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do a sanitary trim on my Faith kitty...when she is furry that is...right now she is in a 'naked shaved down' state. Keeps any looser than normal stools from sticking to her fuzz butt.

If she does get icky, it's in the tub with her...

However, if he has such everyday cling ons to his pants, perhaps his food is not agreeing with him and he has sloppy stools?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a DLH foster. She's going to get a bum shave. She also gets a bum wash every day.......she's not catching on that she should be doing the cleaning part.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Moses got better at doing this as he got older. We also keep a box of unscented, natural baby wipes handy.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We give Stan regular booty trims
It seems to make it easier for him to keep less hair clean.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Sassy, who is DLH, gets a sanitary shave, and it is well worth the money. Matter of fact, she is about due for another one soon!!

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this question! I was actually coming to the site today to ask the same thing!

So I went out and got some un-scented wipes for George, came back home and gave him a wipe.....he was not too pleased with me, and let's just say I'm thankful he came to me declawed because with only myself to hold him, things could have gotten painful!

So all in all, he hated me for about a minute until I distracted him with his favourite treats and his catnip toy

*OMG* He just came and sat next to me and started bathing himself where I had cleaned........."If only you had done that earlier George, we both wouldn't have had to go through that ordeal! GAHHHH!"

Sigh..........cats. Gotta love 'em!

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just came and sat next to me and started bathing himself where I had cleaned........."If only you had done that earlier George, we both wouldn't have had to go through that ordeal! GAHHHH!"
Maybe he just needed to be shown how it's done. Or reminded.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty much a given that cats with a lot of fur around their butts are going to have trouble keeping it clean. I highly recommend the "sanitary shave" or "sanitary clip" as some call it. Many vets will do it for free when you're bringing your cat in for a regular check up. My cats get their little butts shaved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladysoul1710tig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow you guys work fast. I cant check the thred over the week end as I get internet for free at work but that means more to read when I arrive to work. Over the weekend we used kitty wipes that are very wet and thick but I think that the baby wipes will work well too. After we used them where ever we wiped he went back over the area
. What is this "sanitary shave" is this what we call but shav'n? I think I may try toilet training him as he will not have to sit back on his poop. No it is not loose stool I think he is just sitting on it when he is finished. My guy thinks that his box is too small . I told him that the cat is to big!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of owners of LH cats (who don't show them) will keep the back end under the tail trimmed down just cause it is more sanitary. If it helped in the past by trimming him, then do it as often as you can.

ladysoul1710tig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

A lot of owners of LH cats (who don't show them) will keep the back end under the tail trimmed down just cause it is more sanitary. If it helped in the past by trimming him, then do it as often as you can.
What is "LH" and "DLH"?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My LH foster got her butt shaved last night. I did it myself....she's used to it, though. I reccomend talking to your vet or groomer about keeping her butt shaved to make it easier.....because no matter where they go potty, the poop will still catch as it falls!

ladysoul1710tig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will be shaving Carmello's butt and whipping from time to time with wipes too. I am not to sure about the shower thing although I am most interested (maybe at a later time). Here is something funny ... Carmello understands when we are talking about him and his poopy butt and I think he is getting sensitive about it now. Last night I called for him to sit in my lap he was very excited. When he came over I asked if his booty was clean, he souled and walked away
. I thought it was so funny
I don't think that he did tho

Thanks so much TCS !!

fantisticat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not positive this reply all these years later will be found, but I'm going to give it a shot.  I was really sweating over poopy bottom Bonnie.  After a perplexed response from the vet (you want help with WHAT?) I brought her to a groomer today.  I suppose I didn't realize even short-haired cats have quite a ton of fur back there.  The groomer took care of shaving her in about 2 minutes and problem solved. And the Bonster seems thrilled.  I'm planning to keep an eye on the are and pull out the baby wipes if necessary.