Another "what breed for me" thread.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve finally gotten around to typing this post, after much thought and research. Please forgive me if it’s a little on the long side, as I can be long-winded.

Getting a purebred cat is at least 3-4 years off, but I am very research oriented, so I’ve gotten started early. I wanted to post because I have come to an impasse in my breed research. Although breed descriptions are all fine and well, they tend to start sounding very much the same (i.e. affectionate, intelligent, etc.) and nothing replaces personal experience, which is what brings me here.

Although I have long-known that purebred cats look different than your average DSH, I had no idea, until about a year ago, that they also had different personalities and activity levels (much like dog breeds.) Up to that point, I thought “a cat is just a cat” and although I could come up with reasoning behind getting a purebred dog (based on purpose and temperament) I had thought that a DSH would be fine for me and that a purebred cat would be a “waste of money”… My, how one can travel full-circle in such a short time span.

So, here I am to ask you folks, based on what attributes I’m looking for, which breed/s would suit me the best.

I have some breeds in mind already, but I’ll post them after I list what I want in a cat. These are somewhat in descending order, with most important first.

1. First and foremost, I’m looking for an affectionate cat that is “dog like” in that they want to follow me around and be interested in what I’m doing. It would be a very serious plus if the cat was a lap-cat, or at least a good bit of the time a lap-cat. Every other point could be negotiable, but this is not.
It is ok if they are an one-person cat, but I’d rather not have an extremely shy cat that hides whenever anyone comes over.

2. Short haired, and preferably “sleek” without tons of undercoat. I’m not a fan of “fluffy” coats, and don’t want to spend serious time grooming.

3. Moderately active- as in, will be happy with two other cats to play with and a ~30 minute play-session a day. Less active is ok, but you’ll have to convince me on more active breeds… The occasional romp around the house is fine, but Talladega, this is not, and I’d rather not find the cat on top of the highest shelf in the house.

4. Talkative- I like a cat that talks to me, but don’t want one that screeches or talks to them self all day long… A running conversation is fine, but I’d rather not hear opera all day.

5. Other cats- as mentioned, I currently have 2 kittens and an adult cat, all male, so hopefully a breed that isn’t known for hating other felines.

6. Health- Preferably a breed not known for serious health issues…I currently have a cat with an enlarged heart and seizures and health is one of the reasons that I’ll be getting a purebred the next time around.

7. Body type- OK, I’m a former art major and now art teacher and have very diverse taste…. I tend to like “cobbier” cats with rounder heads and shorter muzzles (think BSH, but not as extreme as Persians), I also like moderately proportioned cats (i.e. Euro. Burmese and ocis), and yes, even some of the “racy” looking breeds like the Cornish rex, although not crazy about the modern Siamese/Orientals with ears that are almost horizontal. In short, pretty much everything except for the extremes on both ends and please, no hairless cats.
Size doesn’t matter to me, small large or in-between.

8. Color- Again, very diverse here… I can look at each breed and appreciate their coat color and pattern, but I do have a few favorites. I LOVE dilute tortoishells and calicos, I am also a fan of the spotted patterns (i.e. Oci or Mau). I also have a soft spot for classic tabbies. Some of the rarer solid colors are also very beautiful to me (chocolates, sables, etc.). I have never liked the “pointed” pattern much, but you are welcome to convince me.

9. Eye-color- The only eye colors that I don’t really care for are blue and the common yellow-green (often seen in DSH). I really enjoy bright “pea” green, copper, and gold.

10. Tails and ears- I prefer natural (no folds or curls) ears that are somewhat rounded, not pointy at the tips (but you can convince me otherwise). I also prefer my cat to have a tail, although I don’t much care what shape it is.

Now that you know what I’m looking for, here’s what I REALLY don’t want:
1. A cat that is moody…I’m currently living with one that could give all cats a bad name, depending on her mood at the moment, or be an angel.
2. No energizer bunny cat- I do not want a cat that is never calm.
3. Hands-off cat- I do not want a cat that isn’t affectionate and is always aloof.
4. Extremely loud and noisy all the time- I really don’t need any noise violations called in by the neighbors.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, please feel free to make suggestions... In my next post I'll post the list of breeds I'm considering, but I wanted to see what you came up with first (to see if it somewhat matched my list so far).

And no, I haven't been to a cat show in-person as of yet... The closest ones I could find were 2-3 hours away (I live in the southeast, and I think we don't generally have as many shows here as in other regions). I will definately make visiting one a priority before the big decision, but not right now.

Thanks so much for your help!
Art

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Art,

Glad to see you here on The Cat Site. I am sure that with the amount of research you are putting into this, you will find the cat of your dreams. Have you considered getting a retired show cat? They are considerably cheaper than kittens and since they are older cats, their personalities are set. You know exactly what you are getting!

I live with Egyptian Maus and Turkish Vans. While I can say that the Turkish Van won't meet your requirements for coat (short hair) they do not have undercoats, which make them very easy to groom. They are not lap cats, more like snuggle next to your thigh-cats. They are active and intelligent and a very hearty breed without serious health problems. However, they tend to be dominant cats and this would not mesh well with other dominant personalities.

As for Maus, they might be up your alley. They are another breed without an undercoat. They can be real lap cats when they want to be, and are also active and intelligent (though not as smart as vans). They are relaxed cats, active enough to show off their grace and speed, but do have one caveat that few breeders will share with you. These cats have legendary appetities! They can and will eat anything
Food is their primary fixation, but they also tend to dote on their person. You are their pet, not the other way around. They like to have conversations, and the most intelligent Maus I've met have me convinced that they can form "sentences."

Hope some of this infor helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome and info

Yes, I have thought about going with a retired adult... For the reasons you mentioned... I like to know what personality the cat has upfront and of course, the lower price is a plus.
Unfortunately, most of the ones I've seen posted online (on breeder websites) are usually "single cat home only", etc. so I'd have to find one that would fit in with my current brood.

As for the vans, I've never been a van-pattern fan per-say, but I'm trying to be open-minded
The maus, I thought, were less- "friendly" (i.e. affectionate) but maybe they just don't get advertised as being so. Thanks for that info.

Art

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maus have been fighting a bad reputation these days. Some lines are a bit more touchy than others, but the serious breeders have been working hard to put out a sociable and friendly cat. Many breeders will not touch a cat with a bad attitude, no matter how beautiful. Give me a PM if you want the lines

If you are looking for a retired adult, don't shop around for a cat that is already available, rather, find a breeder you line and wait for the right cat to become available. Look at their websites, talk to people (such as this community), try to find breeders at shows. . . just be informed and patient

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would pick Cornish or Devon Rex - they might be a bit more active then you want, but both breeds are very people oriented and lap sitters (and bed warmers

Also you might like the Tonkinese which is a Burmese/Siamese cross and is more moderate in type, still a good people cat.

Oci's are people cats, but not lap sitters and you should have more then one cat or a dog with them - not good as an only cat.

Burmese might also be a good breed you would like.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the info!
Ferriscat- I had gathered (from reading) that the maus were more of a "cat you watch" rather than a "cat that likes to be handled", but I guess you can't believe everything you read...
Goldenkitty- Thanks, I do have 3 cats currently, so would have company...
Would the Cornish/devons not be crazy hyper all the time? I had gathered, from reading, that they were "climb the walls" hyper, but again, personal experience is better than general printed info... I wouldn't mind spurts of high energy, but would still want a cat that could settle down for a little snuggle time, etc and not be more interested in the toys, than in me, lol. I don't know about the devons (too pixyish for me) but I could definately see myself with a cornish, as I'm a greyhound fan
(beautiful curves) although maybe a more moderate-typed one rather than extreme.

Because you've already mentioned some of them, I'll go ahead and post my original "short list" that I had come up with... But please feel free to deviate from the list, I've already gotten some good breeds formerly not on it...

Burmese
Euro. Burmese
British Shorthair
Tonkinese
Ocicat
Cornish Rex

Art

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

that they were "climb the walls" hyper, but again, personal experience is better than general printed info... I wouldn't mind spurts of high energy, but would still want a cat that could settle down for a little snuggle time, etc and not be more interested in the toys, than in me, lol.
My Oci's are climb the wall hyper
They go mad for hours.

My girl is far more lap-catty than the boys, but they are all very affectionate and will break up their play to come and see me.

They do settle down and snuggle during the evening while I watch tv for a little while, then more craziness before snuggles in bed and they sleep through the night - usually under the bed sheets.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of those you've listed, the Ocicat and the Cornish Rex are at the high end of the activity scale- my Cornish Rex cross is a complete nutter - love him to bits but he's far more insane and climbs more than my Orientals. Nothing is out of his reach and he lounges about on the tops of doors.

I wouldn't recommend a Cornish Rex to you as you've said in your first post that you'd rather not have a cat on the highest shelf in the house - and that is exactly what you would have with a Cornie, he would likely knock every item off one by one too - and then steal your keys from your purse and hide them somewhere for good measure!

Now my Oriental boys are more ground level cats - they do race around fast and jump and are very active and playful, but they're not really big on climbing, unlike Radar they do not sit on top of the kitchen cabinets or wander along the tops of doors. They fit your dog-like lap cat desire perfectly. They can be noisy though, and if you're not a real lover of noisy animals then it would certainly drive you round the bend with the absolutely constant loud chatter, wailing, and grumbling. I like it, but then I'm used to parrots

I think the Burmese or Tonkinese probably fit the criteria in your first post better, active but not insane, people-oriented etc. Here in the UK we have Burmese which are what you would call the European Burmese - they come in various darker versions of colourpoint type markings, with a darker body colour than a Siamese and less contrast between body and points - and I don't know what you would call them in the US, but we also have the Asian - which is the same as our type of Burmese but in other colours and markings - solid, tabby etc.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm...So I can remove the Ocis from my list...no matter how georgous the chocolate/silvers are lol, I'm not sure I could handle high-energy for hours... Sounds like the cornish may be the same story.

Although, I'm not big on nick-nacks, so knocking stuff off of shelves would be less of an issue than constant jumping on/off of things (including my fish tanks) and racing all over furniture, etc.

Do your orientals talk constantly and at loud volumes? I love cats that talk, but not sure if I could take constant noise.

Thanks again for the great replies!
Art

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thanks again for the info!
Ferriscat- I had gathered (from reading) that the maus were more of a "cat you watch" rather than a "cat that likes to be handled", but I guess you can't believe everything you read...
Well, Maus are funny. They're just a little bit different. They don't mind being handled, even roughousing, so long as its by THEIR person. They form very deep bonds to one or two members of the family, and that person can get away with just about anything. Maus only have to SEE their person to start purring away
They have infinite love and patience for their person, but strangers are another story
My brother lives with two, and he's been training his boy, Niles, to jump into his arms. It's simply adorable

I think they have developed a bit of a bad reputation because they don't always trust strangers. . .

About Tonks. . . I has a Mink Sable Tonkinese years ago. He was a sweet cat, quite playful, but he did hide a bit. I don't think that is typical of the breed, and I also don't think he was well socialized as a kitten, but you asked for personal experiences.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm...So I can remove the Ocis from my list...no matter how georgous the chocolate/silvers are lol, I'm not sure I could handle high-energy for hours... Sounds like the cornish may be the same story.

Although, I'm not big on nick-nacks, so knocking stuff off of shelves would be less of an issue than constant jumping on/off of things (including my fish tanks) and racing all over furniture, etc.

Do your orientals talk constantly and at loud volumes? I love cats that talk, but not sure if I could take constant noise.

Thanks again for the great replies!
Art
The Orientals are wonderful, very very loving and devoted, always want to be with you, always with a need to help with whatever you're doing. They do jump onto surfaces, but my 2 don't show much inclination to head up really high just for the sake of it. They are a higher energy mischievous breed, but I would say slightly less so than the Cornie or Oci - but they are still definitely at the higher end of the scale, they are active a lot of the time.

How talkative they are varies from one cat to the next, I have one at each end of the scale. Sonic, my slightly older boy, talks when he feels there is something he wants to say. He has a fairly high pitched (for an Ori) whiny tone and will let me know if he wants attention, food, or if there is something not quite right in his perfect little world. Jacob on the other hand talks just for the sake of talking - the Jacob alarm goes off in the morning and there's no off button - or a snooze button for that matter!

Oris are capable of making a huge range of sounds which some people do find loud, whiny, persistent, and just plain annoying. Sonic sounds as if he's saying short words sometimes like 'mum' and 'now', and he says 'meow' as it is said by a human, he sounds like a little child when he does it. He also does long drawn out whining noises, and grumbles if you disturb his sleep. Jacob yowls, cries, wails, and honks like a goose when he wants food. Some of the sounds they make sound a bit like a baby crying.

So I would say if you're not sure on the noisiness front, probably best to steer clear - there's a chance you could end up with a really loud cat.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
Epona- So....due to possible (or likely) loudness, I'll steer clear of the orientals...I don't really care for the extremely typey ones we have here in the US anyway (and I haven't seen anyone's site with more traditional looking cats).

Ferriscat- With that info, I think I'll officially add Maus to the list
I am fine with a cat that bonds more closely with one person, as long as that person is me, lol. Trainability is also a good trait, I am currently working on "touch" and sitting up like a meercat with my two DSH kittens (they're suckers for treats).

Art

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I only have one Oci and a mixed breed and a dog, Charlie is not overly active. Now maybe with another Oci in the house next year he will be. He is not hyper ALL the time - just on and off when he wants to play - and he tells you he wants to play.

Cornies are the same way - not every one races around at top speed and rexes are more cuddle cats then the Oci's are. I think you'd be happy with a rex - they will sit in your lap and under the covers at night and still hold a conversation with you too.

I used to breed rexes, so I do know how most are

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Goldenkitty- Sounds exactly like what I want.
Are there any breeders in the US that have less extreme/typey lines? I know that you will ocassionally get them in otherwise typey litters (and they'd be the "pet" quality kittens) but is anyone actually breeding less typey ones on purpose? Although I love the body curves of the cornish, the very prominant facial features can be a bit much for my taste.

Hmm.. Seems my "short list" is only getting longer, not shorter, lol.

Art

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vote goes for these:

1. Abyssinians
2. Tonkinese
3. E. Burmese

All 3 would suit your needs - however, for a cobbier body, you'd be looking more at Tonks and E. Burms. All of these breeds talk but not overly much. I've no experience with Tonks personally but with Burms and Siamese in the mix, you wouldn't go wrong.

The only problem with Abys as far as your list is concerned is that they do love the top shelf. However, it wouldn't matter much since they will come running once you are in the room!

All 3 breeds come in "solid" colors (if you can call the Abyssinian colors "solid") but of course the E Burms come in tortie as well...

My suggestion is that you go a visiting in the next few years. Between the 3 and including the fact that I already have Abyssinians, I would go for a Bodyguard, Bondi or DeKatt E Burm myself!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the PM.

Hmm... Abys too? I am learning that written sources aren't the best lol... Reading breed info pages had me convinced that Abys were super hyper and more "lets play!" than "lets cuddle" cats. I do like the coat/pattern (ticked) of Abys, esp. the blues and tawnys, but was always put-off by their supposed endless high energy level.

The E. Burm. rec. was closer to what I was expecting... I'll look into those catteries you mentioned.

My list is definately getting longer

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case you do want to look into the Oci's - they come in the ticked pattern of the Abys since Abys are part of the breeding background - also in classic tabby pattern and "ghost" spotting - which is the more pointed version like a Siamese

If you click on the thread about Charlie - you will see some of the other "patterns" in the Ocicat - those cannot be shown but make excellant pets and the breeders don't keep them in the breeding program except on occasion - so they would be less then the spotted version.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the PM.

Hmm... Abys too? I am learning that written sources aren't the best lol... Reading breed info pages had me convinced that Abys were super hyper and more "lets play!" than "lets cuddle" cats. I do like the coat/pattern (ticked) of Abys, esp. the blues and tawnys, but was always put-off by their supposed endless high energy level.

The E. Burm. rec. was closer to what I was expecting... I'll look into those catteries you mentioned.

My list is definately getting longer
If my Abys are anything to go by...high energy, yes, super cuddlers...YES! Actually the same would apply to E Burms as well. The thing about Abys though is that...you can't have just one!

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it sound like a Bengal you are looking for although i am not sure whether they will get one with other cats tho. i have heard that Bengals temperament really depends on its line especially this as a new breed, some breeders may breed a a cat with bad temperament but great looks. i think the difference DSH and purebred is for their history. most purebred have a clear history and are loved for generations, therefore naturally they are more willing to be dependent and be indoor cats. although DSH cal also well be a indoor and dependent cat, most of them are kept indoor/outdoor. they have a lot of more survival skills. most of the purebred if left alone on the street, they would soon be dead or very ill whereas most DSH can survive one the streets on its own for years