How to get a kitten to tolerate grooming/bathing/nail trims?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help?
I am bringing my 4 month DSH kitten to a cat show this weekend, to show in Household Pet category. I would like to keep entering him in shows assuming he doesn't hate this show.
The problem is, he really dislikes being brushed, having his nails trimmed and being bathed! I have always clipped his nails since I first rescued him at about 6 weeks old, but when I clip his nails he tries to pull away and chew on my hands. When I brush him he tries to bite the brush. I just gave him a bath to prepare for the show (he's had a few before but he was very young then) and he was VERY VERY unhappy, although he didn't try to bite or scratch me, he was crying and scared.
I'm just not sure how to get him to tolerate these things, because if I am going to take him to more shows he is going to have to get used to them!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the cat show world
Depending on how often, I would wash him at least once a month if you are not showing that month. Charlie HATED his 1st bath (in the sink). He loves taking baths now in the tub and is so good - he cries more when its all over.

I forgot if your kitten is long or shorthair, but I'd be using a comb for either instead of a brush. You have to set up a small table or something that would be a regular "grooming table" so he gets used to being combed.

As far as nails, are you trimming/checking at least once a week? If not, do so. The more often you trim nails the better they learn to tolerate it.

Good luck and hope you come home with ribbons. And be sure to let us know how things go

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's shorthaired.
I'm kinda annoyed, because his fur looked and felt nicer BEFORE I gave him a bath than it does now...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What shampoo/conditioner did you use? Depending on coat it usually looks/feels good either the day after or the next day. I've done Charlie on Thursday and Friday before the show. I like his coat done on Friday - then it looks/feels good for the show weekend.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Jerob Mink Oil shampoo. I did it on Thursday, but his fur was softer and fluffier before the bath (nicer, IMO.) However I heard 2 of the judges at the show today make a comment about how soft he was, so it wasn't TOO bad!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I used Jerob Mink Oil shampoo. I did it on Thursday, but his fur was softer and fluffier before the bath (nicer, IMO.) However I heard 2 of the judges at the show today make a comment about how soft he was, so it wasn't TOO bad!
IMO Jerob cocoa butter & mink oil shampoo should only be used on dryer coats. If not color enhancing, I prefer the Herbal Shampoo...If using their creme rinse, dilute 1 part rinse to 2 parts water.

When did you bathe him for the show?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I bathed him on Thursday. Thanks for the tip on the Jerob, I wasn't sure which to order and the mink oil sounded like it would make his fur shiny. I considered using a black coat shampoo (Biogroom) but I wasn't sure if it would darker his non-black areas since he's a rather light-colored brown tabby with white. I can probably buy the herbal shampoo at our next show.
(oh if you want to see how he did at the show, I posted in the Breeders forum.)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Yep, I bathed him on Thursday. Thanks for the tip on the Jerob, I wasn't sure which to order and the mink oil sounded like it would make his fur shiny. I considered using a black coat shampoo (Biogroom) but I wasn't sure if it would darker his non-black areas since he's a rather light-colored brown tabby with white. I can probably buy the herbal shampoo at our next show.
(oh if you want to see how he did at the show, I posted in the Breeders forum.)
IMHO if you're using Jerob, use the Mahogany gold or the Herbal, that's what I use on my Abys. It doesn't stain the white and somehow it does enhance the browns, light or dark. I use conditioner very sparingly on my shorthairs...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a dog show today and they had a booth selling Jerob products. So, I bought the Mahogany Gold shampoo. We'll see how it works with Church's coat color! I guess if I don't like the results I can just use it on my Golden Retriever instead, she's a redhead.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll like the results. I know the first time I used it on mine I was completely impressed!