meow

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat meows a lot, especially during playtime and when i get home from work in the evenings. he stops when he's played with, held, or given attention in other ways. he was a shelter cat and a few days after i brought him home i waited outside the door before i went to work. i heard him run to the door. a couple seconds later he started meowing. it wasn't whiney, it was the meow with a question mark at the end. "where'd you go?" he stopped after about ten seconds. my question is, do you think cats meow when they are home alone? i can't really imagine him meowing for several minutes unless he got injured or came down with something. my friend told me that cats meow to communicate, and that they really have no reason to meow when left alone. strict management here, they will make you get rid of a noisy cat.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
both my cats meow if I go into a room and then close them out. I think they sense your presence so that's why they meow. I don't know if they'd do it when they're alone, though...I doubt it. Unless they were talking to another cat or animal that they could see/smell out the window. I think they probably just sleep all day while you're gone, and can sense when you get back. Some people even say that the cat can sense when you call your home (i'm not sure if I believe that though...)

And unless your cat does one of those yowl-y, loud, all-night meows I doubt your neighbors would complain.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EkEkEkEk07

my cat meows a lot, especially during playtime and when i get home from work in the evenings. he stops when he's played with, held, or given attention in other ways. he was a shelter cat and a few days after i brought him home i waited outside the door before i went to work. i heard him run to the door. a couple seconds later he started meowing. it wasn't whiney, it was the meow with a question mark at the end. "where'd you go?" he stopped after about ten seconds. my question is, do you think cats meow when they are home alone? i can't really imagine him meowing for several minutes unless he got injured or came down with something. my friend told me that cats meow to communicate, and that they really have no reason to meow when left alone. strict management here, they will make you get rid of a noisy cat.
What type of cat do you have? Some types are much more vocal than mine. I never hear Persi meow because he is a layed back Persian. I do hear Alley meow (a moggie) but only like when she is mad, for instance if I am so brazen as to attempt to make the bed with her in the middle of it.