Need Urgent Kitten Help

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 hour old kitten that won't latch on to mom. Mom was an emergency c-section, with 2 of the three kittens dead. Mom seems to be still quiet tired and dopey. This little one has taken KMR from a syringe, but won't latch on and hasn't pooped. The kitten is very restless.

Any advice or suggestions?? We're very worried about this little valentine baby.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure the kitten is warm enough. Also, put a little Karo syrup on the gums to make sure the blood sugar doesn't drop.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I would make sure the kitten is warm enough. Also, put a little Karo syrup on the gums to make sure the blood sugar doesn't drop.
Maybe go with the syringe to feed him/her for now.....get something in him/her. Karo syrup should help perk baby up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do i make sure she's warm enough. she keeps wandering away from mom...and mom is still out of it...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say cuddle her next to the skin of your chest. Also you can make a sock with rice in it and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds. It's like a heating pad.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen kitten sacks made so they're cuddled against you. But definately keep her tight against you're body, that'll provide lots of heat.

ETA: Tried a heating pad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how much should we be trying to feed her? what are the chances that mom might become maternal when she's feeling better?

sorry 4 all the questions?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I went to bed...I think a couple ounces at a time every couple hours. But I'm not 100% on that. Your kitty may feel more maternal once she comes out of it. I think it's hormonal, so once she feels better those might be released.