Bonus savings cards

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiousity, how many do you have?

I'm talking about the cards you get at the store, exclusive to that store, and is the only way you get the sale price on anything in that store.

I'm to the point, I don't want anymore
I have 7-8 of them...at least 4 are for grocery stores, one for CVS, 2 for the pet supplies stores, and one for a beauty supply store.

I have 2 more grocery ones, but they're from Michigan and they don't have stores around here.

I'm getting to the point that I think they're ridiculous. there are 2 more stores I stop in that require them for items on sale, but I just refuse to sign up for anymore.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple, which I never carry, because they are linked to your phone number and you can just have the cashier key that in to get the discounts. The discounts are worth it, too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... DH and I have an Office Depot card, one for a grocery store, Walden's books and Borders, movie rental place (can't rent without one
), and I think we did have a Suncoast card.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I just have 3. One for the grocery store, one for PetSmart, and then Hallmark's. But theirs doesn't give you a discount right away.

I always feel bad when you go shop in stores and you know the sales person/cashier has to ask every single person if they have their card and what not. I used to get sooo annoyed with that when I was working retail in college. I loved how you could tell it annoyed the customers, yet not getting enough new sign ups for them got you in trouble with the boss....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I always feel bad when you go shop in stores and you know the sales person/cashier has to ask every single person if they have their card and what not. I used to get sooo annoyed with that when I was working retail in college. I loved how you could tell it annoyed the customers, yet not getting enough new sign ups for them got you in trouble with the boss....
OMG Yes! As a customer especially when they tell you it only takes 2 minutes...so you fill out the form, then the cashier is standing around with a line while he waits for his boss to go to some other counter to get one.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I know that feeling. I work in one of those stores. We have a credit card we have to ask everyone to apply for, if they already have our card we have to ask if they want to upgrade to our new mastercard and then at the end of the transaction we have to ask for a card to collect points.
Our managers get really mad when we don't get credit card applications...its a good thing I get them regularly, but I really don't like forcing people to apply for a card they don't need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember having to offer up CC's...they're only work it if you spend over $100...I remember having to ask that question to everyone and many would respond "Why? So I can save $1???"

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few, but I only use our discount card at the grocery store. It does usually save me $20-$40 per trip so it's worth it. Plus, I get points to either get a free turkey, ham, discounted gas...the do the bonus every 3 months.

I feel for the people in retail stores that have to ask about credit cards and bonus cards. I used to hate asking "do you want bread sticks with that?" If someone asks me if I want to sign up for a credit card I am nice, but sorry, they aren't getting an application from me. Same with the discount cards unless I can get a discount right then and there...then, I always lose them so I don't get the free item after 5 purchases.

robertb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Store credit cards tend to be a pretty bad deal (for the customer, at least) since the interest rate is going to be something like double - treble what a bank-based credit card is. You have to be careful with credit, as it is a trap easy to fall into masquerading as a benefit.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't carry my petperks card as it is linked to my phone number so I can just give them that instead.

I always have my Chapters bookstore one and my Shoppers point card but I think they are the only ones I carry (sorry catlover19, I am one of those 'ohh I forgot my HBC card peeps)

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh. Now that I have two cats, I'm going to have to ask at Petland Discount if they have a card.

Other than that, I have two grocery store ones, and two drugstore cards. They gave me little ones to put on my keychain, so I just drag out my keys at the checkout.....pretty easy.

One of the grocery store ones has me now shopping more at that store, because of the fab discounts. And, if you get enough points, you can use your points to buy special deals - like $3.99 for a roasted chicken, with 500 points. I use that one every once in awhile when I don't feel like cooking.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertB

Store credit cards tend to be a pretty bad deal (for the customer, at least) since the interest rate is going to be something like double - treble what a bank-based credit card is. You have to be careful with credit, as it is a trap easy to fall into masquerading as a benefit.
That is true. The interest rate on the card my work has is 28.8%.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I don't carry my petperks card as it is linked to my phone number so I can just give them that instead.

I always have my Chapters bookstore one and my Shoppers point card but I think they are the only ones I carry (sorry catlover19, I am one of those 'ohh I forgot my HBC card peeps)
I think about half the people that come into the store say they forgot their HBC card. That just makes one more thing that they make us say. "If you have our HBC points card, you can always bring your receipt back with the card within 3 months and we can add the points on for you." The only people that do that, usually only bring it back when its only points for like $5.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a good dozen of them!! The little ones that can fit on a keychain-I have a separate keychain for those . But I also have a business card holder the the larger ones.
The DSW one is really important as I've gotten many certificates (a $20 one the other day) as I buy most of my shoes from them. I bet I've gotten over $200 of certifcates and they are used.

Even though they are a pain the savings do add up!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never bring it back in and all my points go straight to the shelter anyway so it isn't like I use them to bother and for $5 I just can't be bothered getting it out of my wallet let alone coming back in for points!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an insane number of those things. I keep them on their own keychain. My DH often carries the big card of them (except the pet ones).

I have Petsmart, Petco, Hallmark, Shopko, Best Buy, Dick's sporting goods, and probably a few others. When we lived in So. Cal. I also had one for the grocery stores. Here the grocery stores don't have one, and I do most of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart now anyway.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the keychain ones, but they are annoying. I have 2 for grocery, 2 for petsmart and petco, 1 for cvs pharmacy and 1 for blockbuster. I may take that one off since I rarely use it.