Did i "wasted" a show cat?

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy is a top show quality cat and have won some prizes in his first show. i just wonder if you think that i have wasted my baby by getting him sprayed in a young age without having any litter yet. i really wanted the best of my boy and thought getting him sprayed was the best thing to do for him. i knew that he will be able to born show quality cats. however i only want him to have a good life and i don't care about neither shows nor litters. do you guys thing that having a show quality cat as only a pet without breeding purpose is a waste? but i seriously love my boy really much when the first time i saw him.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO it is not a waste to have neutered him, you did the right thing. Breeders already keep back those cats from litters that are the very best quality for breeding, all those that are sold as pet or show cats are NOT intended for breeding and are supposed to be neutered. The breeder of your cat had already made the decision that he should not be bred when he was sold to you.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You certainly didn't waste his lines, his breeder would probley sold him as a breeder if she felt he should have been. And even if he was the perfect breeding cat doesn't mean he HAS to be bred. You have him as a pet and love him, so neutering him at a young age is one of the most loving things an owner does for their "pet" cat. You did the best thing for him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope a good quality show cat (altered or not) is NEVER a waste. Personally, I'd rather show altered cats. They do better in the rings, keep their coats/weights better and don't mind the other cats as much as an entire one would.

Unless you are in a SERIOUS breeding program and your cats are grand champion material, they should be neutered. And even if he's that good of a show cat, he may or may not have produced anything good. I've known top quality cats who have been in the top cats in the country never produce the quality they are!

So continue to show him in the alter class and have fun

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i don't mind about the show that much. i only show him so that other people can see how beautiful this breed can be
! to me he is of course the best cat in the whole world no matter what the judge think! to me showing him is also my way to thank his breeder since they have been doing brilliant job and bred such beautiful creature. they are great with knowledge and helped me a lot in the first few months i had him! i truly thankful of his breeder to letting me have him. he had always been such and angel and constantly give me a lot of happiness
!! i show him so that both his breeders and the public to see what a great job they have done!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a very good reason to show
I expect his breeder is as proud of him as you are, and he's making a good reputation for his breeder as well as being a great friend for you

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Suria is top show quality and yet he was neutered at 4.5 months. There is never a waste in neutering a cat. As Epona said, breeders always have a reason to keep certain cats entire and allow the others to be neutered and sold as pets. I didn't need to keep Suria entire for any reason at all!

Here he is, Grand Premier Masmera Sinar Suria

If you want to show, please do!

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
your boy is absolutely stunning!!
my boy was in show last time and was awarded as second best kitten.
i certainly glad that he did well in the show , but he happiness and wellbeing is what i concern the most

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just meant to be shown, born flirts and showmen...some stunning cats are meant to stay at home. I had a fantastic Norwegian - top show but he preferred to stay at home and so be it!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your American Curl is a dead ringer for one of mine, my Denebola....I have to suspect they are related (besides to Shulamith!)

May I ask his sire and dam? PM me if you don't want that public.

(I am a former Curl breeder from years ago, long retired, my cats are behind many a pedigree)

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you did the right thing! The breeder wouldn't have sold the cat if it should have been used for breeding.

(You mean neutering right? Spaying (not spraying) is the female version of it).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cattiew

My boy is a top show quality cat and have won some prizes in his first show. i just wonder if you think that i have wasted my baby by getting him sprayed in a young age without having any litter yet. i really wanted the best of my boy and thought getting him sprayed was the best thing to do for him. i knew that he will be able to born show quality cats. however i only want him to have a good life and i don't care about neither shows nor litters. do you guys thing that having a show quality cat as only a pet without breeding purpose is a waste? but i seriously love my boy really much when the first time i saw him.
Both of Persi's parents are Grand Champions and DW and I debated whether we should have him fixed. The end result was that neither one of us had any intents of hauling him around to shows, so like you, we did what we thought was right and best, and had him fixed.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

The end result was that neither one of us had any intents of hauling him around to shows, so like you, we did what we thought was right and best, and had him fixed.
Fixed cats can be and are shown all the time. The breed cats that are fixed are shown in Alter Class. Moggies are shown in HHP Class.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Fixed cats can be and are shown all the time. The breed cats that are fixed are shown in Alter Class. Moggies are shown in HHP Class.
Quite. Certainly in the UK (partially due to the way the GCCF titles system operates and the length of time it takes to get titles) it can be quite a feat for breeders to fit in showing and gaining titles around heats and litters and it can take several show seasons, so they rely on their kitten families showing their cats in the premier (neuter) classes to build their reputation and show off their lines. I know many breeders who will only let a show quality kitten go to a home where it will definitely be neutered and shown, anyone who isn't sure whether they will show will have to settle for a kitten that isn't the very best quality/type. I imagine that's the same the world over, at least to some extent

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I told Jack's breeder that I wanted to show and I'd wait for the right boy next year. That helps the breeder to pick out a top show for you if they KNOW you are gonna show it.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That's why I told Jack's breeder that I wanted to show and I'd wait for the right boy next year. That helps the breeder to pick out a top show for you if they KNOW you are gonna show it.
Yes indeedy. There are show cats and there are SHOW cats!

The difference? SHOW cats (aka Top show) will grand easily...show quality cats will grand...eventually.

One of the main reasons I kept Suria and Adik is that I couldn't find a show home for them. Oh, many homes say that they will show but, they don't. As a rather youngish breeder, I need those grands - to support my growing cattery. I've been stung before by a family that said they will show...one from my very first litter and they never did. Suria is a 2 show Grand and Adik a one show 2 ring Grand...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you would place Charlie - in ACFA he should be a 4 show grand (next show); he would have been a 3 show grand except for the idiot judge who didn't put him in top 5 AB and gave a pet quality Korat a 2nd best AB! And he's only been in 3 ACFA shows as an adult

CFA he's only got 32 pts right now (from 3 shows). So IMO he's top show in ACFA but just show in CFA

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is there anything that we can do to keep a show cat in its best quality ?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm good question! I presume you mean in show condition right? If you're not showing then if the pic in your siggy is anything to go by, the AC is in already good shape....

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know the answer to that as well! I just went to my first show with my HHP kitten and I noticed several judges commented on the muscle tone or coat quality of a few cats and those cats placed higher (one owner said they used a professional groomer). I'm not sure what things can be done at home to get the best muscle or coat quality other than feeding a good diet...