Toyger Breeders Pls

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would like to know more about toyger since really love this breed
and may want to have one if i can move in to a bigger place.just want to know whether toygers suitable as a indoor cat? do they need a lot of space to play? will they love to have a daily play session in a park or outside the house with me?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're a fairly new breed, I don't have that much knowledge about them - but I think they were developed from the Bengal, but wanting to acheive a striped pattern, rather than spots/rosettes - so it's probably best to think of a Bengal type cat, highly active and playful.

However, they are still a normal domestic cat, should be kept the same way you'd keep any other housecat, can be kept indoors, and wouldn't need a walk in the park any more than any other active breed, as long as they have access to cat trees and the like. Bengals often enjoy being taken out (or rather taking you out!) on a harness so that may be a way to go if you want them to have a safe taste of the great outdoors

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The few people I know of over here who've met Toygers were not at all impressed with their temperament.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
really ? y ? are they too nutty or too active? are they tooo wild etc? i have never met a toyger and really want to know how they behave like.they look really cute and i always like tigers

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The few people I know of over here who've met Toygers were not at all impressed with their temperament.
That's a shame, I doubt it's to do with the breed per se, but in a way it doesn't surprise me too much. I've seen breeders' websites that actually use the term 'designer breed' as their main selling point - and I do fear that there are breeders who have jumped on the bandwagon who are in such a rush to create a certain look that they are maybe not that concerned about whether the great looking cat they are breeding from has a good temperament. I want to make it clear that I'm not talking about all Toyger breeders here, but as is usually the case there are always going to be some that ruin it for the good people!

Yes looks are important when developing (or conserving) a breed, but should never be at the expense of producing cats with whom it is a joy to share your life - and I worry that the concentration of some "breeders" on the so called designer aspect of the breed have done just that.

Similar thing happened to Burmese here some years back now, they got quite a reputation for having awful temperaments, with some breeders actually boasting that their cats were fierce and difficult to handle, but didn't they look beautiful. Fortunately thanks to more ethical people, the Burmese remains a loving and popular pet which is as it should be.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toygers are a very newly developed breed. Its not something to rush into. I would not even consider owning one seriously till they were established and consistant in type/temperment, etc. for about 10 yrs.

The Bengals have been around a longer time, and I'm still not totally sold on them.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toygers are now accepted in TICA for championship competition, which means they have met the breed standard requirements, to include the correct personality.

Here is a link to the Toyger breed standard: http://www.ticaeo.com/Content/Publications/Pages/TG.pdf

For the Toyger, think bengal with stripes, but a little more laid back.

I know at least 2 very good breeders that I can recommend to you, when you're serious about getting one of these cats.

Keep in mind that this breed is still evolving and breeders are keeping all the very best looking cats for the breeding pool and show hall, so the kittens sold as pets will have pattern faults.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know it's a newly developed breed and i am not getting it in the next two years or so. however, i am seriously thinking of getting one of those cats and just started to do research for breeders and needs for those wonderful little angel!! i am not having one for breeding purpose but only as a loved pet!! i like the fact that they are playful since i love active kittens!!! however, i agreed with GK
Toygers are a very newly developed breed. Its not something to rush into. I would not even consider owning one seriously till they were established and consistant in type/temperment, etc. for about 10 yrs.
and so want to do my work and wait of this beautiful breed to be more stable
. however it would be great if someone can introduce me some good breeders so that i can check out their kitties from time to time. i am quite picky and need a long time to choose what i want and i will only get a pet if i know i can love and care them for their whole life. to me getting a cat is nothing less then having a baby. therefore i want every piece of information that i can get please. thanks !!!

wildexpressions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen what was claimed to be a registered Bengal that was colored and marked very much like a Toyger which to me strongly suggests that the offshoot did not require much prompting to produce. I thought it was a Toyger when I saw it.

Because of that I have always assumed they were likely quite similar temperament wise.

Cattiew, what is the cat to the right in your signature? It bears a strong resemblance to a wild cat I've always liked, the Sand Cat.