Weird question I know, but has anyone else had this problem? (warning...kinda gross)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but the last year or so I've had a problem with gagging. I know everyone has a gag reflex and some are more sensitive than others but mine has become so much worse that I'm starting to think somethings wrong and I honestly feel stupid going to the doctor about it.

It started with brushing my teeth. I always gagged a little brushing my tongue, but it's gotten to the point, if I try that now, I either throw up (if anything is in my stomach) or I get the dry heaves. Even just brushing my back teeth will start it, so I dread brushing (it's sad when I have to leave myself extra time in the morning for "puking"
).

Also, smells that never used to bother me now make me want to throw up...cleaning the litter box is now a gag fest and it never used to bother me at all. Cooking meat, like roasts or boiling bones off for the dogs makes me sick. Eating will bring it on sometimes. Even taking pills like makes me gag, and I used to be able to take almost anything without water to wash it down.

And, I'm NOT pregnant. That is what we first thought when it started and DH went out and bought pregnancy tests and they were negative (I took 2) and like I said, this has been going on for over a year and no little one running around.

Has anyone every experienced this? I know the body changes every 7 years or so, and I have noticed a lot of changes in mine...mainly weight gain. I'm 38 (so I know my metabolism is already slower) and a few years ago I went from a very physically demanding job to sitting on my butt all day. Could they be related? I've tried to be more active at home....I have lost some weight, but this is just weird.

I'm not asking to diagnose it...just tell me if you have had any similiar experiences.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a horrible gagging problem.

Like you, smells, seeing gross things.......I want to gag right now just thinking about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I always gagged at the usual things (won't go into detail here
) but why all of a sudden have I started doing it over things that never bothered me before? That is what is weird. I mean, I've clean litter boxes for years and never had a problem with them, and now I absolutely HATE it because I know what will happen. Maybe part of it is just mental. Because even if I hold my breath, or put vicks under my nose (yes, I have tried that to block the smell) I still gag. :shrug:

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father suddenly had that problem start a few years ago, now he's so bad that all I have to do is describe something gross and he'll gag.
(I call that revenge)

I believe his was possibly brought on by acid reflux. Do you have any problem with that?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My father suddenly had that problem start a few years ago, now he's so bad that all I have to do is describe something gross and he'll gag.
(I call that revenge)

I believe his was possibly brought on by acid reflux. Do you have any problem with that?
Oh, you are evil!!
Poor dad!

Actually, I do get heartburn but it is mainly food or drink related and I know what I can and can't eat and drink now (about 3 years of trial and error). But, I guess it could still be related.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may still get a little bit of it sometimes at night when you lay down. Being careful how late you snack or drink anything might help if that's happening, as is propping up the head of your bed.

And my father completely deserves anything he has coming to him. Since my step sister has two young children he mainly gets tormented in that form.

Another thought - you don't feel like their may be a lump in your throat making it hard to swallow, do you?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You may still get a little bit of it sometimes at night when you lay down. Being careful how late you snack or drink anything might help if that's happening, as is propping up the head of your bed.

And my father completely deserves anything he has coming to him. Since my step sister has two young children he mainly gets tormented in that form.

Another thought - you don't feel like their may be a lump in your throat making it hard to swallow, do you?
I normally don't get heartburn at night, unless I eat something I know will cause it (ie, left over pizza right before bed :cries

No lump in my throat. Swallowing is easy, unless the texture of the food in my mouth is just gross. Example...last week I made spagetti. I cleaned my plate the first night and was looking for more. The next night when we had it as left overs I just couldn't swallow it because it felt like worms....but I ate the garlic bread. So it isn't a problem with me swallowing. I think I'm just going crazy!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you be dehydrated?? My mother n law has been having gagging "spells" and she found out she was dehydrated. When my late husband was sick, I could always tell when he was dehydrated.He did the same thing.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still do that sometimes! I dont know why either! This morning, I went to get myself breakfast because I was so hungry, I got it home, opened the bag and threw up! It was awful. I couldn't even eat it until almost 5 oclock this afternoon and I got it at eight! Smells get to me too, but normally my sniffer gets more sensitive right before a migraine and that makes it worse!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing. It isn't fun to brush your teeth, only to vomit then have to brush your teeth again.

I swear I didn't have heartburn or anything like that. However upon endoscopy I actually had reflux so bad I had a grade B esphogeal ulcer and chronic active gastritis.

My thyroid was also out at the time and I had a .9mm nodule that had to be monitored for cancer.

Even though I really think it was the stomach acid, you might want to have your thyroid checked too.

To test if it is acid reflux, try taking a Prilosec ( just as effective as Nexxium according to my GI Doc) each evening for a couple weeks and see if the gagging in the morning improves.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ That's what I was suggesting when I asked if she felt any discomfort swallowing. That can be a sign of thyroid problems. (see, it wasn't a completely crazy question.
)

I know I have some acid reflux even though it's usually not bad enough for me to feel it. I feel better when I can take Prilosec a couple times a day - plus I do take a daily NSAID.

I understand about food textures, too. For some reason jello and yogurt are impossible for me to eat. I shudder thinking about either one of them.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to take acid reducer but stopped about a year ago when DH started taking prilosec instead, so maybe that could have something to do with it. That is about the time this started. Like I said I regularly get heartburn per say, if I could have reflux without the actual pain that would explain it. I'll try going back on the less expensive stuff first. We can't afford for both of us to be on prilosec!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand completely. I have a very light gag reflex.

Funny story about childhood - my brother went to a camp many years ago on a local farm called Upland Hills. We went to visit. All manner of farm animals and we, as visitors were allowed to go and see them. Well, I was told there were piglets in the pig barn and of course, I wanted to see them.

But no sooner did I set foot in the pig sty than the smell... oh the smell overwhelmed me. Waaaaves of nausea set in!!! I clamped my hand over my mouth and ran out, only to lose my lunch right outside the door!

Forever after, in our family, the farm name became "Upchuck Hills!"

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Forever after, in our family, the farm name became "Upchuck Hills!"
I'm mentally picturing that on a sign hanging over an entrance gate... my imagination gets the best of me sometimes.

Originally Posted by calico2222

I'll try going back on the less expensive stuff first. We can't afford for both of us to be on prilosec!
The cheaper stuff works a bit differently and for some it doesn't help at all. Prilosec OTC is pricey... but cheaper and a lot less unpleasant than an endoscopy. If you have insurance a prescription should cost less. If you don't have it, check your local walmart or what your state may offer for discount prescriptions.

I hope you can figure out what is going on. The gagging sounds like it could really be a big hassle - it would be horrible if it struck while eating in public.
You shouldn't have to worry about that happening. Also, GI problems are no fun. When you do get pain from that it can be some of the most uncomfortable and hard to relieve pain - from my experience.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I
No lump in my throat. Swallowing is easy, unless the texture of the food in my mouth is just gross. Example...last week I made spagetti. I cleaned my plate the first night and was looking for more. The next night when we had it as left overs I just couldn't swallow it because it felt like worms....but I ate the garlic bread. So it isn't a problem with me swallowing. I think I'm just going crazy!
I have a problem with gagging if I don't like the taste or texture of a food. It can be embarassing. But I've always been like that, nothing that has come up suddenly.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strange_wings;2177498The cheaper stuff works a bit differently and for some it doesn't help at all. Prilosec OTC is pricey... but cheaper and a lot less unpleasant than an endoscopy. If you have insurance a prescription should cost less. If you don't have it said:
Just make sure your insurance covers Prilosec or nexium. My prescription insurance doesn't cover either one.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm mentally picturing that on a sign hanging over an entrance gate... my imagination gets the best of me sometimes.

The cheaper stuff works a bit differently and for some it doesn't help at all. Prilosec OTC is pricey... but cheaper and a lot less unpleasant than an endoscopy. If you have insurance a prescription should cost less. If you don't have it, check your local walmart or what your state may offer for discount prescriptions.

I hope you can figure out what is going on. The gagging sounds like it could really be a big hassle - it would be horrible if it struck while eating in public.
You shouldn't have to worry about that happening. Also, GI problems are no fun. When you do get pain from that it can be some of the most uncomfortable and hard to relieve pain - from my experience.
Well, I didn't have these problems until I stopped taking the low dose acid reducer, so I'll start with that and if it doesn't work I'll spring for prilosec for me.

Yeah, it's not real fun in public. On top of it, I have a sinus cold and have been taking dayquil tablets (they are huge!) and I've gagged on them at work and almost had to run to the bathroom. The sinus drainage isn't helping either, but that has only been the last few weeks.

I really don't want to have to get an upper GI or anything like that, so I'm almost afraid to bring this up to a doctor. I just kind of chalk it up to getting older and gaining weight.

But, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a very sensitive reflex!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since you never had this problem before, I would talk to your doctor about it. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but it's better to be safe than sorry.