American Idol 2008

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who's watching this year? Since we now know who the top 24 are, how do you think the competition will be?

I'll be watching... I have this weird every-other-year thing with AI. I don't start watching until they get to Hollywood, and I have to say there are some really talented people on the show this year. Hopefully no one stupid like Sanjaya or IMO Taylor Hicks (ducking from Susie!).

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John won't let me watch it.
I really don't have the desire to anyway, I watched the first couple of seasons but haven't since.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there is some real talent this year, I really like that 16 year old David Albrulechta or whatever his last name is, I also like the Irish girl Carly Smithson. The one thing that absolutely drives me bonkers is when they put people thru that I have never seen before!! I feel that they stack the competition in favor of those they have profiled cause the audience "knows" them. I was really hoping they would put Kyle, the ones who always wore the ties, thru, I liked him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

John won't let me watch it.
I really don't have the desire to anyway, I watched the first couple of seasons but haven't since.
Oh, I have to go into another room to watch it, or Earl will start shrieking, mimicking whoever is singing (even if they are good!
). He's in the music industry, and he thinks the show is a farce...but still tells me all the industry buzz when they release albums, when they are dropped from the label, and such. He's also gotten me the CDs of the contestants I liked - Kelly, Carrie, and Chris. Even he admitted when I forced him to watch/listen to Chis 2 seasons ago that he could go far.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is only the 2nd year I've watched it (my Mom got me "hooked" on it last year while she was here visiting
Thanks, Mom!
). I can't say I agree with ALL the choices picked, but I did like most of them that got through.
I especially like the rocker/nurse girl, the guy who sang Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, and a few others. I felt so bad though for the poor kid who lives in his car: he wanted it so badly, but didn't make it.
Maybe he wasn't the best, but he was a sweetheart.
He sure as heck wasn't anywhere near as bad as Sanjaya..

~KK~

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The talent this year is by far the best yet I think. Plus, they seemed to have picked more rock oriented people.

I agree there seemed to be quite a good number of people that I hadn't seen that made it through. Where did the rasta dread lock guy come from? I couldn't have forgotten him if I had seen him before. I can't wait to hear him.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love AI, love hearing the different voices and knowing they are getting a chance they might not otherwise get.

David Archuletta, I remember seeing win Star Search (I think it was that one) when he was 10 or 11...amazing kid, like his personality and his voice. There are at least 3 guys I am very impressed with...the gals..no one's really got my attention except maybe the gal who lost her voice..she has stage presence and a good voice.

will be fun to watch.

As for the guy who is living in his car, Josiah, I just hope something comes out of this for him, he needs some help and he has so much potential...I hope he finds a better living situation.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love AI! I was so disappointed, though, that they didn't put Josiah through - the boy who was living in his car. I loved him right away; he has such an interesting sound, and he was somebody that I could really get behind. That was my big let-down. I do think they have lots of good talent this year, though.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish Kyle would have been put thru too. He shocked me with his voice on his initial audition, and I would have loved to have seen what AI could have done with him. And, he just seemed like he was having so much fun! Well, maybe now he'll become governor.

I personally couldn't stand Josiah. He could sing ok, but I got so tired of him crying during every interview. He's living in his car because he got mad at his family and left home. So, to me, that's his choice. And when he said in one interview that he made "every mistake a man could make" I was thinking, dude...you're 19! Believe me, you're going to make a lot more!!

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like that rock n roll nurse girl I think she does kinda sound like Janis Joplin...
I wanna see what she can do and glad she made it into the top 24. I kinda knew they weren't going to let Josiah in....and I agree about the crying all the time. You never know though..If William Hung can get a record....just by not getting through American Idol..

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love AI! I only missed one season and it's because I boycotted after Carrie Underwood won. I really don't like her....

Anyway, I like Danny. At his first audition I thought he was going to be a joke, but then that voice came out! I was shocked! I think it'll be a good year.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really didn't care for many of them. I really did not like the Ngyun girl. So she's little and she can screech loudly, woo, hoo. I wish Kyle had made it through, even Simon wanted him. I am glad I will be at work, I think it will be a less than memorable season.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a big AI fan, have watched all the seasons, except the first one. I thoroughly enjoy it. It is amazing how they (top 24) change once everything gets to rolling!!

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watch american idol -- I was disappointed that Josiah and Kyle didn't get through. I find it interesting that the are having an originally Irish girl and Australian guy this year on it.. they're both very good though.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think I am the only one that is happy Josiah and Kyle didn't get through!

Josiah needs to practice a bit more and to audition again. He could be a force with more practice. That last performance of his in Hollywood really exposed all of his flaws. He said he was having problems performing with a band and not his own instrument. That caused his meltdown which led to his horrible performance. He would have crashed and burned as soon as he had to sing with the band every week.

IMO Kyle is more suited to the Broadway stage than the American Idol stage.

I really like the Irish girl and the Australian guy.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Josiah needs to practice a bit more and to audition again. He could be a force with more practice. That last performance of his in Hollywood really exposed all of his flaws. He said he was having problems performing with a band and not his own instrument. That caused his meltdown which led to his horrible performance. He would have crashed and burned as soon as he had to sing with the band every week.

IMO Kyle is more suited to the Broadway stage than the American Idol stage.

I really like the Irish girl and the Australian guy.
I definately agree!

I liked Robbie - the guy with the longer hair & wore the hat? Not the one with dreds

I liked Syesha too, I think she has talent -& Joann too!

It will be a good season, no one as good looking as Blake though

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

No you aren't the only one. I just couldn't feel warm and fuzzy for Josiah. To whiny IMO. Asking the band to leave the stage was his biggest mistake and then he just screwed up that song. He needs to go home and practice.

Now for Kyle I thought he was a sweetie but being a sweetie just doesn't cut it for AI. I was actually surprised by Simon's opinion about him though.
I wonder what he saw that I didn't.