This might sound crazy but...

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my DH gave me dandruff.
I never used to have it until he started using my brush. I read somewhere that dandruff can be caused by a fungus. He probably got that junk all over my brush and now I got it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Dandruff isn't contagious.
I wouldn't think so either but if DH got the fungus that can cause dandruff on my brush then couldn't I possibly get it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using the same shampoo? A more likely explanation would the shampoo is drying your scalp out and maybe your water too.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, dandruff is caused by dry scalp which you can't catch from you husband. But, I guess dry scalp can be cause by a fungus but he should be scratching his head like crazy if that is it, I would think.

If he is using your brush, he could be getting his "flakes" on your brush, and when you use it you transfer it to your hair. It's very easy to do.

Two things you can do. Either both start using dandruff shampoo, or tell you hubby to buy his own brush! (or, option three...have your husband go to a dermatologist to find out what is causing his dandruff..but I still recommend option 2 also!)

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe you have 'bugs'? Eeeekkk! Just Kidding ofcourse...but I second the dandruff not being contagious.

I am thinking you are both just experiencing some 'winter dry scalp'...try switching to a moisturizing shampoo, or add some aloe vera drink or cod liver oil pills to your daily diet and see if that doesn't make a difference.

I second getting a new brush...I hate sharing brushes except on occasion!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I think my DH gave me dandruff.
I never used to have it until he started using my brush. I read somewhere that dandruff can be caused by a fungus. He probably got that junk all over my brush and now I got it.
Dandruff isn't contagious, it's not like the flu. You probably think you have it because the flakes he left behind on your brush are now embedded in your hair.

Unfortunately i have it, but it's not a disease. Your scalp just regulates the dying flakes quicker than a normal scalp.

If you truly do think you're developing it, then you may need a diet change, perhaps drink more water, or special zinc or tar shampoo.

*edit - i don't have fungus! lol.

what's weird is, they say it's that you have an oily scalp that you get flakes, but my scalp is dry.

hrm..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

what's weird is, they say it's that you have an oily scalp that you get flakes, but my scalp is dry.

hrm..
Your scalp may actually produce more oil to try to combat being dried out by shampoos. The more harsh the shampoo and the more often you wash your hair the more your scalp tries to fix the problem, that could lead to dandruff.

Lay off on using hair sprays, gels, etc if you can and try a gentler shampoo. Maybe try not washing it every day if you can tolerate that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Your scalp may actually produce more oil to try to combat being dried out by shampoos. The more harsh the shampoo and the more often you wash your hair the more your scalp tries to fix the problem, that could lead to dandruff.

Lay off on using hair sprays, gels, etc if you can and try a gentler shampoo. Maybe try not washing it every day if you can tolerate that.
It very well could be my shampoo. I'm using some cheap 99 cent stuff.
My DH definitely has dandruff though. He uses special shampoo for it. I don't use styling products in my hair.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cheap stuff has some harsh stuff in it. Look it up online. In the meantime... you could use your husband's shampoo.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

It very well could be my shampoo. I'm using some cheap 99 cent stuff.
My DH definitely has dandruff though. He uses special shampoo for it. I don't use styling products in my hair.
Yea, those 99 cent shampoos are basically the same idea as carpet cleaners...they will dry out your scalp.

Even if they're "moisterizing" all it contains is a soft wax, which when dried can also cause flakes...again all it is simply dried wax.