Do You Think Judge Judy Is "Mean"??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize that she has to be "tough" sometimes, but IMO, I think she's just downright mean at times!
She pratically yells at the plaintiffs/defendants, butts in when they're trying to explain their side of the story, calls them names like "moron" & "idiot", and you ever rarely see her say anything that isn't negative - plus, she also uses intimidation tactics - which IMO, are abusive. I don't think it's really necessary for her to conduct her courtroom in such a manner.
There are other "judge" shows such as hers, and you don't see the other judges intimidate their plaintiffs/defendants. Those other judges are more diplomatic, respectful, kinder - and they get the job done w/o using intimitation tactics.
They TALK to their plaintiffs/defendants/witnesses, and LISTEN - they don't yell AT them, or talk down TO them.

What's your opinion on Judge Judy??

~KK~

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree..she belittles people for no reason. IMO she can do her job a little more like a normal human being.
But then again, she needs to be that way to get people to watch right?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's why she's a TV judge. Nobody wants to watch a kind, sweet judge.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She cracks me up sometimes. I think she tells people what others are afraid to say.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

butts in when they're trying to explain their side of the story
She is trying to get straight to the facts of the matter.

Allowing a person to go on at will, only draws it out and provides information that is redundant and irrelevant to the case. How a person feels and what they "think" is irrelevant and just clouds the matter. Plus it gives them a chance to provide a rehearsed response. If you interrupt you throw them off balance and are more likely to get the truth out of them.

As for her being "rude" by calling people names...that's why she's on TV. She's hard and tells it like it is and that's what makes the show successful. People have a choice of not going on the show. They know what she is like and what they are likely in for prior to appearing. Besides, it's a small price to pay in order to have a TV station pick up the tab for your loss

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO she's dead on with most of the people. Often times people are more apt to make excuses than own up to their responsibilities. Besides she sees more of the case than we ever will on TV, so more than likely the people she interrupts are indeed morans and idiots.

When you go into court you just present the facts...not excuses otherwise you look like a bumbling idiot. That never helps your case.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truth be told if she ever acted like that in a regular courtroom she wouldn't be on the bench for very long. Any defence attorney would have a fit if a judge personally attack a client in that way..

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think she has a really good instincts about when someone is lying to her. She isn't as hard on people that present themselves a certain way. I like she expects people to act in a respectful way during their time in "her" courtroom. Some of the other TV judges are a bit more easygoing.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes she is mean, without a doubt. She could certainly handle them in a much better way. Telling it like it is doesnt involve abuse towards people nor does getting them to not to go off track with the case.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah!!! Being a judge is a tough job and gets old fast. If I were a judge and had been in the job for awhile I would do the same thing. "Shut up! Get to the point! I don't care about that, it has nothing to do with the case!"

(I've spent many hours in the court room, I don't know how the judge doesn't laugh or literally tell the person to shut up)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

She seems like a really hateful person to me.
She's been doing her job too long (and she's on TV making big money for being a judge from hell)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think she's mean, the name calling is out of line. At times she seems to form an opinion early on and it doesn't matter what the person has to say they have no chance of winning their case.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like her and I don't really see her as mean more like blunt. Not all judges are roses and sunshine.