Purraise
What are we talking about specifically?
Home remedies for what?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well it was just a general question. i am always intrested in hearing about different home remedies and i thought it would be cool to share them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally like duct tape for any remedy except being sick...I can't duct tape the virus.

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i found a really good home remedy when i had poison ivy last year, taking a bath in tea really really helped the itching.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found hot lemonade with honey great for a sore throat. And my grandmother swore that catnip tea was great for stress. I also have used a lavender inhaler for headaches and it did help. Also peppermint tea for and upset stomach.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I personally like duct tape for any remedy except being sick...I can't duct tape the virus.
It is joked that the way to fix anything in Oklahoma is duct tape and bailing wire...

Best suggestion for poison ivy, stay out of it. If you have it in your yard get rid of it and keep brush cleared out so it won't re-infest areas before you've noticed.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing I've found if you are sick to your stomach (nausous sp?) is to make jello, but drink it warm. It's the only thing that will calm DH's stomach down. I don't know if somehow it coats his stomach or what but it works.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apple Cider Vinegar...http://www.anyvitamins.com/apple-cider-vinegar-info.htm
There are many benefits to ACV...take your pick if you are a 'natural' type of person! I take ACV daily, and since I have been on it, I have noticed a difference in my health over all, and I am not lying there! I am not saying it is for everyone, but it can be very beneficial if you can 'down it'!

Lavendar; sleep aid, calming aid

Peppermint: Can help with respiratory issues, including asthma, pneumonia, and colds; also beneficial to GI health. Can help with muscle inflammation, can help alleviate and draw out infection out of wounds.

Blackberry Tea: another thing that is good for upset stomachs; can help alleviate diarrhea, cramping, etc.

Cranberry: Excellent for UT health

RoseHips: Good for womens health

Vitamin C: Great for Immune Health

That's all for now...will have to dig out more later...now it's time for bed!!!

Just a note...Sugar supressess the immune system for up to 4 hours after ingesting it...so when you are sick, especially, be careful of how much sugar you eat!!!

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow, i didnt know a lot of those!

one i found that works pretty well, and yes i know we dont like talking about these issues is the use of plain yogurt for yeast infections. it supposedly replaces the normal bacteria that is missing. http://www.fwhc.org/health/yeast.htm

now if i could just find a home remedy for a psycho dog, grouchy man and a broken toenail i would be in good shape!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

The best thing I've found if you are sick to your stomach (nausous sp?) is to make jello, but drink it warm. It's the only thing that will calm DH's stomach down. I don't know if somehow it coats his stomach or what but it works.
I don't know if you have ginger biscuits(cookies) where you are, but they stop nausea as well
Anything ginger really?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I don't know if you have ginger biscuits(cookies) where you are, but they stop nausea as well
Anything ginger really?
Indeed. I have a sensitive digestive system and am prone to tummy aches. My mom would make me a concoction of 1 TBSP vinegar, 1 tsp GINGER, 2 tsps. sugar. Mix that up and fill the glass halfway with water. While standing over the sink add 1 level tsp. of baking soda and stir. When it starts frothing drink it down as quickly as possible. Within 5 minutes the tummy ache is all gone. I've always heard that ginger is very good for stomach problems.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago a nurse advised me to use de-fizzed coke (that specific brand) for diarrhea.
Pour into a glass and stir to remove carbonation. It usually does the trick.

For a bloated tummy mix a tsp of baking soda in about 3-4 oz warmish water and chug down. That will cause burping in a matter of a few minutes and calm the stomach down.

And gargling with room temp salt water for sore throat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have a sensitive digestive system and am prone to tummy aches. My mom would make me a concoction of 1 TBSP vinegar, 1 tsp GINGER, 2 tsps. sugar. Mix that up and fill the glass halfway with water. While standing over the sink add 1 level tsp. of baking soda and stir. When it starts frothing drink it down as quickly as possible. Within 5 minutes the tummy ache is all gone. I've always heard that ginger is very good for stomach problems.
Ginger and the baking soda helped, most likely. Turmeric is in the same family as ginger (at least I think it is?*poor memory alert*
) and is supposed to be good for stomach problems. Supposedly it has similar properties to many acid reducers. It has been used for this and many other remedies in several countries. One wouldn't need to drink anything nasty tasting, turmeric can be bought in little capsules.
It's worth a shot, if I happen to come across it one day in a store I'll probably try it.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sinus washes (also called sinus rinses): for stuffy noses or sinus infections

refined sugar: don't eat it if you are sick, getting sick, or going to have surgery (it suppresses the immune system and eating refined sugar will keep you recovering for a longer time)

Originally Posted by strange_wings

...Best suggestion for poison ivy, stay out of it. If you have it in your yard get rid of it and keep brush cleared out so it won't re-infest areas before you've noticed.
Just don't burn it to get rid of it!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Ginger and the baking soda helped, most likely. Turmeric is in the same family as ginger (at least I think it is?*poor memory alert*
) and is supposed to be good for stomach problems. Supposedly it has similar properties to many acid reducers. It has been used for this and many other remedies in several countries. One wouldn't need to drink anything nasty tasting, turmeric can be bought in little capsules.
It's worth a shot, if I happen to come across it one day in a store I'll probably try it.
That concoction doesn't taste bad at all - certainly not as bad as AlkaSeltzer or those kinds of things. The ginger and sugar make it taste quite good actually and I have to think it would act much more quickly than a pill. I'm also not sure turmeric would have the nice flavour of the ginger for me at least.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

If you have hicups suck down a teaspoon of cold vinigar it gets rid of them.
eee.... I'd probably throw up....

Lemon juice can help clear up stuffed ears, or at least, my roomie swears it can.