Cat owner deciding to say hi

strangedenial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, my name is Drew, and as you can guess, I'm new to this forum. (I came across it by typing "cat forum" in Google.)

I have 2 cats: Shelby and Santa, who are both females. Shelby, who is 7 years old in human years, now lives with my Mother. She unfortunately was declawed when she was a kitten during the same time of her spaying, due to my Mother being overly worried about her furniture.

Santa, who is 8 years old in human years, lives with me. I have had her for exactly a week now, and she loves me, and I love her back. (I adopted her from the humane society in my county where I live, she was a stray.)

Yesterday, I dropped her off to the vet for the first time for her checkup, and to presumably have her spayed. (The humane society told me that Santa was un-spayed and was not declawed.)

Well, about an hour after dropping her off, I get a call from the vet. He informs me that while doing her checkup, he notices that she had been spayed and was previously declawed. Both come as a shock to me, because the humane society told me that Santa WAS NOT spayed and declawed.

Other than that shocking informational update from the doctor, Santa's checkup went well.

However, I am left extremely frustrated and confused as to how and why the humane society told me, more than once, that Santa wasn't spayed and declawed, when in fact, she was.

I can understand not noticing if a cat was spayed or not, but I find it ridiculous to think that a cat still had claws when it clearly didn't.

Now, I'm left with wanting advice from fellow cat owners.

Am I right to be frustrated at the humane society, or am I probably overreacting? Should I call them and inform them of their mistake?

Any help and tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

kittypaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and Welcome..
Well Im not an expert or anything... but in my opinion people make mistakes, idk how they could have made that mistake but they did... we've had a few mix ups (AT first we thought Hobbit was a girl, took him to tha vet and first vet agreed he was a she...nxt vet visit, a different vet says it is a he...hm... XD)

Anyways I think you should call up to tell them but it isn't really a big deal (But thts just what I think
)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

So glad you have joined our wonderful community of cat lovers.
If it were me, I would call the HS and let them know what your vet said.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message.
I will get back to you asap.

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the forums. as far as your situation i dont think its a big issue just calll them up and inform them that its a he. its kinda weird that they as well as the vet made the same mistake hmm

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome Drew! I would guess it was a paperwork thing. Someone marked the wrong thing down and once that happens, it's impossible to get it changed!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Drew! Welcome to the Cat Site!

Can't wait to hear more & see photos of your cats

Best Wishes to you, Shelby, & Santa! Hope you enjoy the forums

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Drew, and welcome to the best cat site around!

We have a lot of support and advice to give here. We also have a game called KatKwiz, which teaches you things about The Cat Site and also allows you to win lots of points. Just click on the here link below to learn more. Glad you decided to join us!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strangedenial

I can understand not noticing if a cat was spayed or not, but I find it ridiculous to think that a cat still had claws when it clearly didn't.
I agree. Sometimes it's really hard to see their spay scar. But how do you miss them not having any claws? I mean hello! That's just crazy. I would call them back and ask them how they missed that!

Anyway, she sounds sweet and I'm happy that the once stray cat now has a loving home. YAY!

catpaws2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Drew, My name is Anne. I don't know much about declawing as my cats are never declawed. It is hard to tell if a female is spayed unless you have the medical history records so maybe the shelter didn't have Santa's records and assumed that she was not spayed.

Even people at my local animal shelter told me when I picked up my cat Misty that she was a lady took her to a vet and got her shots and got spayed before she came to the shelter.

My other cat Taffy who I got from the OSPCA wasn't spayed but they did that for me and gave all her shots before she could come home with me a week later. I took her to my vet weeks later to get her stitches taken out with my vet in my town.

If your vet says that she is not spayed the best thing to do is do the procedure as you don't want her going in heat and getting pregnant. My sister never spayed her cats and we got lots of litters. Its very hard to find homes for the kittens , plus female cats are very noisy when they are not spayed. Its annoying on your nerves. LOL.

Welcome to the site. I hope this helps you out Drew.