Calming Wild Kittens

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three very hyper, very mischievous cats, and so I have a problem with things in my house being destroyed because of their relentless curiosity. This isn't so much of a problem when I'm home, but I need a solution for when I'm away. I'd prefer not to lock them up, so I was wondering if the stuff I've seen in pet stores might work. It's designed to help animals with separation anxiety; it's supposed to put something into the air to calm them. My cats don't suffer from separation anxiety, just stubbornness and hyperactivity, but does anyone know if this might work for them?

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you're referring to Feliway. Am I correct?

Feliway is usually effective when it comes to calming down cats who are stressed. It doesn't sound like your cats are stressed; you described them as mischievous and hyperactive. Of course, you should feel free to try it, but personally I have my doubts that it will work.

Your cats sound like normal cats. How old are they, and have they been spayed/neutered? How much time do you spend playing with them on a daily basis?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically, you have to live (at least temporarily) like a lot of the rest of us - with everything you own that's remotely valuable, light enough for a cat to shift, growing in a pot, moving at any time in any respect, having interesting odors, or just generally anywhere in the house moved out! Put away. Stuffed in the closet (be sure the cats can't open that), etc. My place looks weird at the best of times trying to keep things from being pulled down, snuck into, scratched up, chewed on, etc. etc. ... but it's a trade off I'm putting up with because the cats are more important than the 'stuff'.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Basically, you have to live (at least temporarily) like a lot of the rest of us - with everything you own that's remotely valuable, light enough for a cat to shift, growing in a pot, moving at any time in any respect, having interesting odors, or just generally anywhere in the house moved out! Put away. Stuffed in the closet (be sure the cats can't open that), etc. My place looks weird at the best of times trying to keep things from being pulled down, snuck into, scratched up, chewed on, etc. etc. ... but it's a trade off I'm putting up with because the cats are more important than the 'stuff'.

Anything that can be broken or destroyed by accident gets put AWAY.

Get them spayed/neutered, and they'll calm down at about a year or so if they are not high energy purebreds like Bengals.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like your cats are still young and acting just the way they are supposed to
. I also doubt the Feliway will get you the results you desire.

A few of my suggestions: put anything valuable/breakable away in a safe place; ensure there are no hanging cords that they could get wrapped around their necks or bodies; ensure there are no plastic bags laying around that they can get caught on their necks and choke on; put any plants (especially toxic ones) out of reach of the cats and ensure there is no string around that they could ingest (this can get wrapped around their intestines and cause death if untreated).

There is also nothing wrong with confining them to one room while you are out/at work. As they get older and more settled then they could have the full run of the house while you are out.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you schedule some "rough and wild" play each day with them - fishing pole games work well for this. Get them running, jumping, pouncing after the toy so they get a good workout.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I play with them as often as I can - they have a favorite toy (jingle ball on a string with a stick) that they go mad over, but it seems that they have boundless amounts of energy (and time) and I do not. :p

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat proof and get them more things they can play on, in, and with. A nice big cat tree, crinkle tube (cheap addition to try), those fold out nylon cubes - my boys love them (again, cheap). Paper sacks... free, cardboard boxes, wadded up balls of paper.
Can you fix a window up for them to look out of? Maybe add a bird feeder - kitty tv. Anything that can be made into fun toys and discourage them from trying to find other things to turn into toys... they may still attempt that but hopefully not too much.

I agree, it's not good to shut them up in one room while you're gone. They'll just spend time napping and saving up all the energy for when you're home and/or sleeping.