random fighting?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so we have 3 cats, 2 are mine and 1 is my room mates.
Joey is around 6 I believe and we have had him since we found him at 4 weeks old as a stray.
Kahlua just turned 3 in Sept. and we have had her since she was around 7 - 8 weeks.
Keiko just moved in with us around November.

Kahlua and Keiko are like a match made in heaven playing with each other constantly.
But over the past week Joey has just gotten really weird. He keeps randomly attacking the other two, most of the time when they are just laying around or sitting there not doing anything. (although who knows with those two they could be trash talking him...)
But then he will also let Kahlua bathe him and take care of him. So I dont know what the problem is.

Do you think it could be because we had to have our dog put to sleep over the weekend and maybe he is just adjusting? We had the dog for about a few years before we got Joey. He was randomly attacking on occasion before that happened but no where near as frequently.
Also is there anything I can do? I fuss at him when it happens but I doubt it helps a lot.

I would love to hear any ideas!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that it's just such a typical generic response, but....has Joey been to the vet within the last week? Sometimes noticeable behavioral changes are early signs of illness.

Sure, it could very well have something to do with having your dog PTS (my condolences), but it sounds like Joey's unusual behavior started a few days before that.

Or it could just be a phase. Who knows what goes through their little heads sometimes?

Do you have a Feliway diffuser running? If not, maybe that would help.

Hopefully he'll be back to his normal self in short order.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like Joey is pouncing at the girls for a rough cat play session. If your dog (rip) was Joey's target , it is not surprising he now turns to the girls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

I know that it's just such a typical generic response, but....has Joey been to the vet within the last week? Sometimes noticeable behavioral changes are early signs of illness.

Sure, it could very well have something to do with having your dog PTS (my condolences), but it sounds like Joey's unusual behavior started a few days before that.

Or it could just be a phase. Who knows what goes through their little heads sometimes?

Do you have a Feliway diffuser running? If not, maybe that would help.

Hopefully he'll be back to his normal self in short order.
No he hasnt been to the vet yet. I will probably give them a call tomorrow and see about maybe getting him looked at or at least ask her what she thinks! And no diffusers, never had a need for them though.

Originally Posted by yayi

Sounds like Joey is pouncing at the girls for a rough cat play session. If your dog (rip) was Joey's target , it is not surprising he now turns to the girls.
He'll pounce when they are just laying there or using the post. So I dunno. And he never really messed with the dog, she was blind and 15 when we put her down so they never played. She has always been blind in one eye so even when she was young she didnt play a lot. But she did mother joey a lot when he was a baby. Do you think its like he's missing his "mommy?"

Maybe he's just been grouchy... *sigh* silly cats