Cumpulsive grooming when pet

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents cat Mishka has an issue where he grooms his chest furiously whenever he is pet below his shoulder blades. This isnt really an issue in terms of being hurtful to him in anyway, I was just curious as to why he does it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Radar grooms himself when he's being stroked, when I watch him I can see that it just seems to be a kind of reflex, my hand gets licked too

It's only a problem if they seem to be in distress because of it or they're making themselves bald.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I didn't know other cats did that!
I've always kidded Billy about his being a little "OCD" for compulsively licking while he was being pet.
Glad to know he isn't the only "special" kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, he isnt making himself bald but sometimes I swear he gets annoyed by us petting him after a while because he gets tired of having to groom himself. He is such a funny cat, he talks to himself and his toys too...such a goof. He makes little brrrr noises at his toys and to himself when he is thinking or confused. He is such a unique little guy. Hes a siberian so maybe its a siberian thing?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jezah

My parents cat Mishka has an issue where he grooms his chest furiously whenever he is pet below his shoulder blades. This isnt really an issue in terms of being hurtful to him in anyway, I was just curious as to why he does it.
I think they imagine that they have been touched by something dirtier than they are. And I have to agree with them, I am almost always dirtier than I perceive my cats to be.