An extra tooth?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Justice was brushing his teeth with me in the bathroom tonight and I was showing him how to floss correctly when I noticed he has an extra tooth!

I'm assuming that the tooth it's in front of is a baby tooth and the adult tooth just broke through in front of it.... looks like we're off to the dentist

Anyone have this happen?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that happen when I was younger with both my canine teeth and another tooth (forget which one). I looked like a vampire for a year, but the adult teeth eventually forced the baby teeth out painlessly. It sounds like your son's mouth might be too small right now for all his teeth. That is how the dentist explained it to me (after the fact). I should have had braces when I was younger because my teeth are too crowded. Apparently it can also cause problems with impacted wisdom teeth when you are older.

See what the dentist says, but it isn't abnormal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yeah, that's pretty common, especially with those canine teeth.
Originally Posted by calico2222

I had that happen when I was younger with both my canine teeth and another tooth (forget which one). I looked like a vampire for a year, but the adult teeth eventually forced the baby teeth out painlessly. It sounds like your son's mouth might be too small right now for all his teeth. That is how the dentist explained it to me (after the fact). I should have had braces when I was younger because my teeth are too crowded. Apparently it can also cause problems with impacted wisdom teeth when you are older.

See what the dentist says, but it isn't abnormal.
Yeah he takes after me.. his mouth is too small for his teeth
I also had a canine tooth that make me look like a vampire

I'm going to make an appointment for the dentist tomorrow. I think he's gonna need braces.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that happen to me... The dentist told my parents that he could pull the baby tooth and I would have to wear braces to force the tooth to where it belonged, or he could remove the permenant tooth and when the baby tooth fell out, my teeth would straighen on their own. My parents couldn't afford the braces so they opted for the last option....

Well...................... That baby tooth did not fall out until it was knocked loose in 2004 during surgery! I was 47!!!! LOL So I have a gap there now!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to my little sister when her teeth were coming in. The dentist had to pull out the baby tooth because the root was super long, about twice the norm! It wouldn't have came out on its own.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my oldest had this happen. He had to have the baby tooth pulled out. I have never seen roots so long on a tooth before his. I know of others where it just ends up coming out but I would go to the dentist to get it checked out.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No extra teeth here, in our family we are all minus a few. I'm missing 5, had braces to close up the gaps after the baby teeth fell out and x-rays showed no adult tooth

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
never had that happen, but when i was younger my baby teeth came out, when i was 10 i got 4 of my front teeth knocked out with a softball and oddly enough i have two sets of adult teeth, my dad did also, we have three sets instead of the normal two. A friend of ours has two rows of teeth, kinda like a shark or something, he has a row in front and a row back behind those, all perfectly straight.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH has that problem! His baby teeth never fell out, so his adult teeth came in and forced the teeth up! So he has baby teeth clear up in his gums! It looks really odd actually! He's going to be 25 on the 21st and he still has them! One on either side, both I-teeth! So I dunno whats up with that, but if you dont want it to stay that way I would most definatly see a dentist! Good luck!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not an extra tooth. It's a cusped tooth. Basically a tooth with an extra cusp on it. As already stated it's quite common. I have one on the upper left at the back. It can be a bit difficult to brush that tooth. My last dentist decided to put a bit of white filling at the area where the cusp and main tooth meet so it's easier to keep clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It's not an extra tooth. It's a cusped tooth. Basically a tooth with an extra cusp on it. As already stated it's quite common. I have one on the upper left at the back. It can be a bit difficult to brush that tooth. My last dentist decided to put a bit of white filling at the area where the cusp and main tooth meet so it's easier to keep clean.
It's definatly not the same tooth. It's a totally different tooth. He's only 10 and still losing his baby teeth...

Going to the dentist this week

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, a little snaggletooth
My neice had one too, but it came down and became a normal tooth I think

Hopefully its nothing complicated for Justice

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he ends up with braces and they give him a choice of having teeth removed or headgear, tell him to get them pulled! I opted for the second option and wish I had had the teeth removed instead. The braces will pull the teeth together to close any gaps caused by any pulled teeth.

And good luck!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wierd because when I was about 15 I had 2 extra mollars come in behind my regular teeth in the top of my mouth. I had to have them pulled because they were throwing things out of alignment.
I Talked to my dad about it and he told me that it ran in the family my great aunt had her compleet set of adult teeth come in before her baby teeth fell out they had to end up pulling her baby teeth.
So it may seem wierd but it's not uncommon

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My son had an extra baby tooth when he was about that age, they extracted that, and then he got his adult tooth come through, he had an identical second tooth growing down that would have started to come through the roof of his mouth. I cant remember off hand but the dentist said the odds of that happening with two teeth are like one in so many hundreds of thousands.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a lot of friends when I was a kid who all had that same problem - apparently it's common in children with narower jaws as well. That's not something I ever had a problem with
My brother had it too - he had to have a total of 8 teeth removed because his mouth was too small for all those big teeth!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, My DH's ones are definatly not the same tooth!! They baby teeth just never came out! The dentist said they should have been pulled years ago, but that if they dont bother him then its not a big deal! His ones in the front are normal looking adult teeth, and the ones up in the gums are normally looking baby teeth. Way too far apart to be the same tooth!