TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Finally threw a decent vegetarian dish together...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Finally threw a decent vegetarian dish together...

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Some of you may remember a few weeks back I asked vegetarians here on TCS about how they eat the way they do... so after some fussing, relapsing (sometimes a girl just wants comfort food, i.e. chicken, dang-it).

So last week I found prepackaged leeks at trader Joe's, all trimmed and such... decided to try them... they've been sitting there, waiting... until tonight. I got frustrated because there aren't make good recipes, other than the basics, for them (same for brussels sprouts). So, tonight, I unwrapped them, sliced them up (then cleaned them), opened up a can of 'soup beans' by Amy's (vegetarian line of foods), and a can of organic diced tomatoes...

sauteed the leeks in olive oil (they have a mild onion flavor, and didn't make me cry while cutting them), then added the drained beans (actually beans, lentils and another grain), and then the tomatoes, with the juice in the can. added sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and some minced garlic, cilantro and basil (those I get in frozen cube 'packs' from TJ's). Let everything simmer and then took it off the heat... It's actually pretty darn good!! everything brings a distinct flavor to the 'table' and it all works... this vegetarian thing may work out after all! Although I'm sure I'll still lapse every so often... I have certain comfort food dishes with chicken that I just adore and crave every so often...

Maybe for this year's TCS cookbook, I'll submit it... it's a 'homey' meal, for cool nights...

Amanda
post #2 of 15
That actually sounds really good! I couldn't be strict vegetarian (I'm like you, I LOVE chicken, but I could live without steak and pork), but I could make a meal of that. Of course, I would have to cook a steak for hubby though.
post #3 of 15
i'm not a vegeterian but that sounds yummy.
I eat several meals without meat every week and that soulds like somthing I would definately try.
post #4 of 15
I love leeks
post #5 of 15
I make a great leek and potato soup (Potage Parmentier when served hot, but served cold is called Vichyssoise.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I make a great leek and potato soup (Potage Parmentier when served hot, but served cold is called Vichyssoise.
I had some potatoes, but they never last long in my home... they were starting to 'sprout' and that's one thing i get paranoid about... when they show that, they get tossed...

but what I made last night was something I might actually enjoy reheating... most of my veggie creations of late (and pretty much ever) have been ones that just don't reheat well...

I love Trader Joe's for things like the minced garlic/basil/cilantro cubes. It's a little pack that stays in the freezer... you don't defrost them or anything... you push out what you need into your pan. When i needed melted garlic/butter I popped a couple cubes of garlic into the cup with the butter and melted it in the microwave... came out perfectly (wish I could have said the same for the actual dish). Since I live alone and don't cook from fresh every night, it's nice to have those cubes to add some flavor, as opposed to the dried option... blech.

Amanda
post #7 of 15
That sounds good. I have tried to go veggie but have always failed. I like meat too much.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy View Post
I had some potatoes, but they never last long in my home... they were starting to 'sprout' and that's one thing i get paranoid about... when they show that, they get tossed...

but what I made last night was something I might actually enjoy reheating... most of my veggie creations of late (and pretty much ever) have been ones that just don't reheat well...

I love Trader Joe's for things like the minced garlic/basil/cilantro cubes. It's a little pack that stays in the freezer... you don't defrost them or anything... you push out what you need into your pan. When i needed melted garlic/butter I popped a couple cubes of garlic into the cup with the butter and melted it in the microwave... came out perfectly (wish I could have said the same for the actual dish). Since I live alone and don't cook from fresh every night, it's nice to have those cubes to add some flavor, as opposed to the dried option... blech.

Amanda
I use those frozen cubes as well. I find if I buy fresh herbs for a particular recipe, I end up throwing the rest out at the end of the week so it's a waste of money IMO. I buy basil and dill mostly and agree - they are very handy. I do have a good garlic holder (clay) that keeps garlic for quite a while.

You shouldn't have to throw potatoes out just because they sprout. Back on the farm we kept our potatoes over the winter in a cold cellar and by spring they were well sprouted. It doesn't affect the potato. What is more concerning to me are the sunburned potatoes (very green just under the skin). I have no idea if it's true, but I've heard that the green areas contain cyanide so I cut all the green parts away before cooking. I also find that by keeping my potatoes in the refrigerator they last longer.

Have you checked out Chapter's or other book stores for Vegetarian cookbooks? You could take the basic recipes and "adjust" them for yourself.

Another thing is I will sometimes get in a great cooking mood and make things like lasagna, large batches of beef stew, etc. and freeze portions for the evenings I'm rushed or don't feel like cooking - presto, we have a good dinner all prepared. Microwaves are wonderful for last minute defrosting.

When I was single and lived alone I often made dinners and did up my own frozen dinners. Otherwise I wouldn't have eaten as well as I should have because it really is not nice cooking for one, at least it wasn't for me.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I use those frozen cubes as well. I find if I buy fresh herbs for a particular recipe, I end up throwing the rest out at the end of the week so it's a waste of money IMO. I buy basil and dill mostly and agree - they are very handy. I do have a good garlic holder (clay) that keeps garlic for quite a while.

You shouldn't have to throw potatoes out just because they sprout. Back on the farm we kept our potatoes over the winter in a cold cellar and by spring they were well sprouted. It doesn't affect the potato. What is more concerning to me are the sunburned potatoes (very green just under the skin). I have no idea if it's true, but I've heard that the green areas contain cyanide so I cut all the green parts away before cooking. I also find that by keeping my potatoes in the refrigerator they last longer.
Another sign that my mother was/is a paranoid freak of nature... she told me they become poisonous once sprouted... my family would be one of those where 'listen to mother, she has good advice' is NOT good advice... I also saw that keeping them in a drawer, basically away from light, helps as well... when I moved here I put mine in a drawer, but then i ended up needing the drawer space for all my kitchen cr**.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Have you checked out Chapter's or other book stores for Vegetarian cookbooks? You could take the basic recipes and "adjust" them for yourself.

Another thing is I will sometimes get in a great cooking mood and make things like lasagna, large batches of beef stew, etc. and freeze portions for the evenings I'm rushed or don't feel like cooking - presto, we have a good dinner all prepared. Microwaves are wonderful for last minute defrosting.

When I was single and lived alone I often made dinners and did up my own frozen dinners. Otherwise I wouldn't have eaten as well as I should have because it really is not nice cooking for one, at least it wasn't for me.
I wish i had a bigger refrigerator. I have a 14 cu.ft. piece of junk in my apartment... I don't have much room for cooking ahead, which, honestly I'd love to do... but have no room for storing it. There's also no decent space for a small chest freezer, even if i could afford one.

I have a handful of vege. cookbooks now, including one that someone here recommended in my previous vege. thread (the one about my disastrous ordeal with tofu). I'm slowly getting there...

Thanks...
Amanda
post #10 of 15
I keep my potatoes (and onions, for that matter) in one of those plastic crates that sits in a corner, since I don't have appropriate space in a pantry. How I get around the light issue is I throw a clean tea towel over the spuds. Haven't had a green one since I started doing that.
post #11 of 15
that sounds great! I might have to keep that recipe!

Just remember that Vegetarian doesn't mean boring. I thought that at first. My boyfriend got me trying new things a month at a time and then deciding if I like it or not. The idea is how can you say you don't like something unless you try it for a certain amount of time. Anyways, tofu dishes are great. Remember also that yummy things like cheese pizza are vegetarian, not necessarily healthy, but still, its not like you have to live on salad the rest of your life lol!
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
that sounds great! I might have to keep that recipe!

Just remember that Vegetarian doesn't mean boring. I thought that at first. My boyfriend got me trying new things a month at a time and then deciding if I like it or not. The idea is how can you say you don't like something unless you try it for a certain amount of time. Anyways, tofu dishes are great. Remember also that yummy things like cheese pizza are vegetarian, not necessarily healthy, but still, its not like you have to live on salad the rest of your life lol!

I'll just have to take your word for it. I love veggies and have no problem with vegetable dishes, but I can barely say the word "tofu" (4-letter word) without gagging. I've tried tofu in several different ways and I'm sorry, I can't handle it.

But then, I also gag if margarine comes near my mouth.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I'll just have to take your word for it. I love veggies and have no problem with vegetable dishes, but I can barely say the word "tofu" (4-letter word) without gagging. I've tried tofu in several different ways and I'm sorry, I can't handle it.

But then, I also gag if margarine comes near my mouth.
Amen, sistah!
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I'll just have to take your word for it. I love veggies and have no problem with vegetable dishes, but I can barely say the word "tofu" (4-letter word) without gagging. I've tried tofu in several different ways and I'm sorry, I can't handle it.

But then, I also gag if margarine comes near my mouth.
Amen, sistah!
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I'll just have to take your word for it. I love veggies and have no problem with vegetable dishes, but I can barely say the word "tofu" (4-letter word) without gagging. I've tried tofu in several different ways and I'm sorry, I can't handle it.

But then, I also gag if margarine comes near my mouth.
Amen, sistah!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Finally threw a decent vegetarian dish together...